Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2008, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnj18 View Post
dude get over it....its the truth, you do NOT NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. This is one of the lowest rank businesses in the nation, why? Because ANYONE can mow a lawn.

now I'm not saying to not go to college, but you need to wake up and REALIZE what people think. Because 99% of people you meet will feel the same way and theres nothing wrong with.....

why dont you tell me why you NEED college to mow lawns????
I completely disagree with you. College gives you a foundation for life no matter what you decide to do. I have a degree and know and learned to network, sell, write contracts etc. Im a business man not a lawn boy. Theres a difference. A business man needs to know how to run a succesful business and a lawn boy just needs to know how to mow a lawn. I see on this site so many people conducting their businesses in such an odd way its no suprise many fail. Like pre pay or knocking on doors looking for payments. I see so many talk about getting angry if a payment is a week or 2 late. Its business. Most people dont know how to run it. If this young guy went to college and took business classes and focused his energy on his goals he isnt a lawn boy. If he kept doing waht he doing, not paying taxes or having insurance etc hes a lawnboy.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
dude get over it....its the truth, you do NOT NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. This is one of the lowest rank businesses in the nation, why? Because ANYONE can mow a lawn.

now I'm not saying to not go to college, but you need to wake up and REALIZE what people think. Because 99% of people you meet will feel the same way and theres nothing wrong with.....

why dont you tell me why you NEED college to mow lawns????
I AM going to college so I can better my business and hopefully have a fleet someday. If I ever do decide to get out of this line of work I have an education to fall back on. I don't need to go to college however I will choose to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
I completely disagree with you. College gives you a foundation for life no matter what you decide to do. I have a degree and know and learned to network, sell, write contracts etc. Im a business man not a lawn boy. Theres a difference. A business man needs to know how to run a succesful business and a lawn boy just needs to know how to mow a lawn. I see on this site so many people conducting their businesses in such an odd way its no suprise many fail. Like pre pay or knocking on doors looking for payments. I see so many talk about getting angry if a payment is a week or 2 late. Its business. Most people dont know how to run it. If this young guy went to college and took business classes and focused his energy on his goals he isnt a lawn boy. If he kept doing waht he doing, not paying taxes or having insurance etc hes a lawnboy.
Thanks for backin me

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 12-28-2008, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Punt- I don't think you understood what I was saying. I agree with you 100%, there's a HUGE difference between a lawnboy and a business owner. Neither one needs college, but it does help. You don't NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. Now if you want to own a successful business it helps.

In this industry people will look at you two ways, "joe the guy that mows my lawn" or "John the guy with xxxx landscapes, you probably have seen his trucks around". I want to be the latter.....

That's all I was trying to show. But just because you go to college doesn't automatically make you guy #2.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Punt- I don't think you understood what I was saying. I agree with you 100%, there's a HUGE difference between a lawnboy and a business owner. Neither one needs college, but it does help. You don't NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. Now if you want to own a successful business it helps.

In this industry people will look at you two ways, "joe the guy that mows my lawn" or "John the guy with xxxx landscapes, you probably have seen his trucks around". I want to be the latter.....

That's all I was trying to show. But just because you go to college doesn't automatically make you guy #2.
Its apparent you dont attend college and thats ok. But i can tell you one thing. I was a different person coming out of college than going in. It gives you a foundation. It gives you contacts. I have contacts all over the world from my college experiences.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 12-28-2008, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually for your info I AM in college and plan on transferring to a 4 year school. I'm going for business...though I don't think I'm going to stay around in landscaping too much. For the simple fact that ANYONE with a mower can cut a lawn. The customer doesn't give a shyt if you went to college or not.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Actually for your info I AM in college and plan on transferring to a 4 year school. I'm going for business...though I don't think I'm going to stay around in landscaping too much. For the simple fact that ANYONE with a mower can cut a lawn. The customer doesn't give a shyt if you went to college or not.
hahaha ok. The customer isnt the one who cares if you went to college. Its your bottom line. Your direction. Your understanding of how business works. your professionalism. You can keep putting people down by calling them and yourself lawn boys but thats not what i am. Is a degree necessary in this business? No. Will it help? Absolutely and it will also help if you decide to do something else. I am glad your in college. I assumed you werent because you seemed so against the idea. I will never advise anybody to not get educated no matter what career path they choose.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you look at it this way, at least you know cutting grass and plowing snow, you'll more then likely have a job. If things don't turn around with the employment situation, cutting grass and plowing snow maybe the only thing you have to earn money. Thats why I still cut grass, I like it, and I hate it. I wish I didn't have to do it. But it's the only thing I have right now to make money, so I do my best job at it to keep and get more customers. But plowing snow, I'll probly always do that no matter what. Thats fun.

2008 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 Ext. Cab
2001 Ford Focus
I retired from mowing lawns
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

punt, i could not agree more or say it better . I had 5 friends that started off cutting grass in the 70s and we all went into different fields over the years . But cutting gave us a start in business . I'm a builder the other guys are pave rs, excavators , one guy builds roads . I don't think any one is cutting grass any more . In the 70 s you didn't need to go to collage to be successful. Now you really do . LF It sounds like you have other issues with your dad other then buying a trailer . good luck I have three sons and i can only try to help them . John
Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek View Post
But I would sit down with them. List the pros and cons of the bigger trailer. Have several price quotes to show them. Also explain that the bigger trailer is safer with a second axle and second set of tires. You should also explain that with a bigger trailer, you can carry more equipment and make less return trips to the shop. This will save you time and money, allowing you to make more $$$$ and get more lawns done. That is the name of the game. Just show them some posts on LS about trailers. Just leave my post out

Best of luck. I know it is a PITA, but no one cares for you more than your parents. They want the best for you. It always good to include them in your plans. They have seen and done a lot more than you have yet. Life is the greatest teacher. Nobody better tell my mommy I said this, I would never live it down.
I couldn't have said it better myself; great advice!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you using Your parents' Phone number for bisiness calls? Just thaught I'd ask. The amount of calls, having your mom qualify your leads for you, (provided you trained her) will see what kind of jobs your getting and Not just cutting grass. I always face that opposition sisnce I'm restarting.

Get this: I live on my own, I'm in college for a Hort. Degree and I'm still being told that I'm good at nothing but failing. I plan on doing it right this time arround and I plan on rubbing it in my moms face when she sees a new truck just suddenly put up, cut her grass and thats it. If she asks me how come she don't see me, I'd reply" Well, I've just been busy making a life for my family and loving my success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!