Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Austin,

My folks were like that a few years ago when my dad was working with me all the time.

Now, this past year when I had my helper, they never really had a clue how many yards I had, where they were, or whatever. Heck, sometimes I wouldn't even see my parents in a day I was working so much.

But I had a 5x10 as well, and I packed that thing. My 16' is a great asset to my productivity and I can throw anything on there.

It has extra space right now, but once I get my ZTR, it will be packed full, even with the racks.

Maybe have your folks give me a call, I can explain to them some of the advantages of it, and maybe help you out. It can't hurt.

Make sure you get experience driving that thing before you start working. I was fortunate, I got to drive three hours on the highway with mine just to get it home. I still get nervous in heavy traffic, or narrow roads, because that thing is wide!

Oh and Eric, I hear ya about the whole "parents not finding out" deal.

I normally tell my dad, and he's always cool with it, because he knows I have a clue what I'm talking about, and can point out what I need.

Its funny, when I bought my BillyGoat Vacum (great investment, btw!) I just bought it. I didn't tell him, and didn't have the intention of telling him.

Well.... my helper did. I could have killed the guy, but I know he was just being the friendly old man he is

Dad wasn't pissed, he just asks that I tell him when I'm going to buy something from now on

-Mitch-

BTW Austin, feel free to give me a buzz anytime

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
Lesco Fertilizer Equipment
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW, here was my 5x10 before I got my 7x16

Lesco 48" WB (Sulky had to be de-attached for travel)
Toro Pro-Line 21"
Lesco 32" WB
Trimmers/Edger on rack; Blowers, grass catchers, garbage cans, and traffic cones in back of the truck
Attached Images

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And the 7x16. Much better
Attached Images

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

buy it and keep it at your friends house
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
buy it and keep it at your friends house
Fantastic idea!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man sorry to hear about your tough situation. Just hang in there, the parents hopefully will come around!! Btw I think the trailer would be an excellent investment. You could probably haul a lot of different stuff because it has the heavier duty axles(smaller bobcats, dirt, loam, heavy stuff) as long as your truck could handle it! Good luck with the parent thing, I know how that game goes!!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's always gonna be people who doubt you, but if you truly enjoy what your doing I think you can be succesful at anything. Don't let them bring you down. In the end it's your money and your business, so go for it if you really think you need it. It doesnt sound like your parents are about to change their mind anytime soon anyways.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Landscapes View Post
Are you using Your parents' Phone number for bisiness calls? Just thaught I'd ask. The amount of calls, having your mom qualify your leads for you, (provided you trained her) will see what kind of jobs your getting and Not just cutting grass. I always face that opposition sisnce I'm restarting.

Get this: I live on my own, I'm in college for a Hort. Degree and I'm still being told that I'm good at nothing but failing. I plan on doing it right this time arround and I plan on rubbing it in my moms face when she sees a new truck just suddenly put up, cut her grass and thats it. If she asks me how come she don't see me, I'd reply" Well, I've just been busy making a life for my family and loving my success.
No, I use my cell phone, and have gotten calls at dinner for business quite a bit, they just don't budge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLND View Post
Austin,

My folks were like that a few years ago when my dad was working with me all the time.

Now, this past year when I had my helper, they never really had a clue how many yards I had, where they were, or whatever. Heck, sometimes I wouldn't even see my parents in a day I was working so much.

But I had a 5x10 as well, and I packed that thing. My 16' is a great asset to my productivity and I can throw anything on there.

It has extra space right now, but once I get my ZTR, it will be packed full, even with the racks.

Maybe have your folks give me a call, I can explain to them some of the advantages of it, and maybe help you out. It can't hurt.

Make sure you get experience driving that thing before you start working. I was fortunate, I got to drive three hours on the highway with mine just to get it home. I still get nervous in heavy traffic, or narrow roads, because that thing is wide!

Oh and Eric, I hear ya about the whole "parents not finding out" deal.

I normally tell my dad, and he's always cool with it, because he knows I have a clue what I'm talking about, and can point out what I need.

Its funny, when I bought my BillyGoat Vacum (great investment, btw!) I just bought it. I didn't tell him, and didn't have the intention of telling him.

Well.... my helper did. I could have killed the guy, but I know he was just being the friendly old man he is

Dad wasn't pissed, he just asks that I tell him when I'm going to buy something from now on

-Mitch-

BTW Austin, feel free to give me a buzz anytime
I would love to have them call you, not sure if they would be willing though or not, I may suggest it to them one day. I'll call some time.
Quote:
BTW, here was my 5x10 before I got my 7x16

Lesco 48" WB (Sulky had to be de-attached for travel)
Toro Pro-Line 21"
Lesco 32" WB
Trimmers/Edger on rack; Blowers, grass catchers, garbage cans, and traffic cones in back of the truck
Wow thats packed!
Quote:
And the 7x16. Much better
Very close to what I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamjamrockinman View Post
Hey man sorry to hear about your tough situation. Just hang in there, the parents hopefully will come around!! Btw I think the trailer would be an excellent investment. You could probably haul a lot of different stuff because it has the heavier duty axles(smaller bobcats, dirt, loam, heavy stuff) as long as your truck could handle it! Good luck with the parent thing, I know how that game goes!!
I know the truck could handle it Its a beast. I've pulled a 20footer fine with more wieght than my equip. I got faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoh View Post
There's always gonna be people who doubt you, but if you truly enjoy what your doing I think you can be succesful at anything. Don't let them bring you down. In the end it's your money and your business, so go for it if you really think you need it. It doesnt sound like your parents are about to change their mind anytime soon anyways.
I'll prove em all wrong

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My mom insists, that I dont need a 3/4 ton truck, or the trailer we've already got, nor all the tools I've bought, but I do anyways, I dont even tell her anymore, now the trailer, that was a different thing, she got involved in the conversations me and my dad had and it was a time before me and Dad finely got a trailer and it would've been hard for us to hide a 30ft equipment trailer. But

Mom no longer even gets mad when I bring home something new cause she knows I'll just keep bringing home what I need, and now its to the point she wants to actually help me out, she helped me unload all the tools from the truck the other day. But I would definetly go with the whole making up a book thing to prove that you actually need a trailer, and you might throw in there that when you expand and get big enough you will have another trailer to start that crew off with. But if this was like about a trimmer or blower or even another mower, I would just go get it, but a trailer is pretty big thing to hide, and usually something you keep. But just remember like people have said before your parents are just trying to get you to do what they think is best for you, even if they dont know what exactly your doing or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here's my suggestion for your trailer issue. Don't buy a 16' car hauler or regular flatbed. I'd wait and get a 16' - 20' enclosed trailer. I know what you're thinking....."where am I gonna put all the clippings and debris?" For now...the back of your truck. But let's face it, you're going to need a bigger truck pretty soon. So I would plan on that issue resolving itself in the near future with a truck that has a dump insert or a dump body specifically. If none of those options really suit you, then by all means, get the racks that will make your current setup more viable. Make sure you get the ExtremeRacks from trailerracks.com...they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Right now, one of our 6'x12' enclosed trailer is filled to the brim with shelving and racks just so that everything fits. Is it tight? Yes. But it works and is an efficient use of the space.