Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2008, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

protecting trailer floor

any suggestions on how to protect the wood floor of an open trailer...I've heard of using thompson water seal, herculiner, or non-skid paint from lowes...anyone use these or others?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

garage floor paint and buy the extra grit packets to mix into it. its basically sand that you mix into the paint and makes a grittier surface (less slippage) and the garage floor paint is made to withstand oil and gas and such. I got mine at lowes. its like $60 a can tho but worth it
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Touch View Post
garage floor paint and buy the extra grit packets to mix into it. its basically sand that you mix into the paint and makes a grittier surface (less slippage) and the garage floor paint is made to withstand oil and gas and such. I got mine at lowes. its like $60 a can tho but worth it
How long have you had it on? I did not have such good luck with some I applied to a deck so I didn't bother to try it on my trailer.

We went with a spray in bed-liner professionally done. Looks great and seems to be holding up great too. Just under a year still looks new when I hose it down. Very pr icy though, at least in this market.

I was going to do Herculiner but after considering the labor for prep and the cost of that and materials I would only have saved about 100 bucks by doing it myself. I would also have had my trailer out of commission for several days. The stuff they sprayed in mine was dry almost immediately. My only regret is I only had the back half where the equipment is kept done due to price. next time I will have to suck it up and get the whole thing done. Seems to me it adds about $ 800-900 to the price of a 8.5 x 16 enclosed to do the floor and up about 3" on the sides.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Touch View Post
I can't vouch for this, but I plan on doing this in the spring on my open and enclosed trailers.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 12-27-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow i was thinking about getting in rhinolined but $900 thats ridiculous. Maybe i will just seal it rellay well or maybe put down some of those basement tile things they got at lowes

Kean's Lawn Service
2005 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel
60" Exmark Lazer Z 2005 Triton Deck
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
7x14 open landscape trailer
Old 12-27-2008, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem with most things that are designed for homes is that they do not account for the flexing that goes on in a trailer floor. Most household products for waterproofing/protection are designed for concrete or at the vrey least very firm / solid wood. It is the flexing that kills you.

Maybe the Rhino is cheaper in your area, I think I got Dura liner in my trailer. The Rhino is too chunky I have that in my truck bed.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 12-27-2008, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No these pads were meant for like wet basements the have a rubber bottom i think. I dunno good point though... MY truck was quoted for $350 i think i figured the trailer would be easier since less to worry about just spray it lol

Kean's Lawn Service
2005 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel
60" Exmark Lazer Z 2005 Triton Deck
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
7x14 open landscape trailer
Old 12-27-2008, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know how this will sound but we use old motor oil.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

one trailer we did with the garage floor paint and it works great. We reapplied it a few years later, though it didnt really need it, just a preventative thing. the more grit you mix in with it, the better. Also, I tried this rubber flooring that I believe I ordered from Northern Equipment (its really cheap- like $80 for a 7x17 section) and it works ok. gets a little slippery when wet, but it has ridges in it to channel away any standing water and helps protect the floor, and easy to cut to shape. I wouldnt go all out and rhino line it, though that would be the best solution, but for the price, I'd rather reapply the garage floor paint every few years. Its always good to give the trailers a good cleaning and painting anyway. I remember my first trailer, a 4x8 open single axle, i used to grind and repaint every spring. kept it lookng so much like new that I almost got full value when I sold it a few years later.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I know how this will sound but we use old motor oil.
what do you mean???

you mix it with paint? or you just poor it on the floor?