Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but if one girl could bring down a decent sized lawn business...well let me just say, you don't sound very focused. Has your state of mind changed much since then, besides just not liking working for someone else? I mean, just trying to be real here.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this were me, I'd focus on landscaping, with lawn care paying the frieght.

Better margins in scaping or so it seems.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but if one girl could bring down a decent sized lawn business...well let me just say, you don't sound very focused. Has your state of mind changed much since then, besides just not liking working for someone else? I mean, just trying to be real here.
This is actually a valid question !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Landscaping View Post
Hey guys, havent been on here in a long time, but I figured this is the place to come to with some questions... Up until sept. of 2007 I had a successful lawn and landscape company, but ended up shutting down in 2007 for a number of reasons ranging from family problems, cash flow problems to an ex gf that was screwing with my head and walking all over me . Went to work for a tree company as a climber, been climbing ever since for a few differnt companys. Dont get me wrong I love climbing, but I still have the itch to have my own company again. And the itch seems to be getting worse as we are slowing down with tree work and I have more time to think. I had gotten rid of all my old clients as well as 95% of my equipment and pretty much closed up shop completly with my last company JS Landscaping. Been kickin the idea of starting something up new again, something fresh, new name, new everything and starting from scratch again. Currently Im a lead climber for the company I work for now, and they pay isnt bad.....but i dont know If i like working for someone else anymore. The freedom and pride just isnt there like it was when I had my own gig. If do end up going through with this and starting up again...it will be nothing but a 100% focused effort to it, and build it up past the point where I was when I quit back in 07. What are your opinions on it? Do you think its worth a shot again? Any imput is apreciated! Thanks guys!
oh wow Orange County that's right above me lol I am always there is there really much landscaping work up there because I seen alot of the yards and they are really small?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I wouldnt say she brought me to my knees, but she definatly added to a lot of hell and stress going on in my life. Lost a best friend of close to 16 years that year after he got hit by a train on his dirtbike, as well as my parents getting divorced. So it was a multitude of things, but she didnt help at all by cheating on me and getting caught. All of these things happened within about a 2 month period of eachother. I do think I have changed quite a bit tho, kinda have a new out look on life, and have realized where I went wrong. I regret giving up the first time back in 07 and shutting down, just took me some time to realize it. But this also gives me a new start, clean slate to start over again, and use the knowledge that I gained previously to make things run smoother and more efficient this time around.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes you should absolutely get back into the business..in Orange County, NY...NOT Tallahassee, FL LOL
Old 01-01-2009, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I wouldnt say she brought me to my knees, but she definatly added to a lot of hell and stress going on in my life. Lost a best friend of close to 16 years that year after he got hit by a train on his dirtbike, as well as my parents getting divorced. So it was a multitude of things, but she didnt help at all by cheating on me and getting caught. All of these things happened within about a 2 month period of eachother. I do think I have changed quite a bit tho, kinda have a new out look on life, and have realized where I went wrong. I regret giving up the first time back in 07 and shutting down, just took me some time to realize it. But this also gives me a new start, clean slate to start over again, and use the knowledge that I gained previously to make things run smoother and more efficient this time around.
I'm sorry to hear about all of your bad luck. I say go for it.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-01-2009, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
Move to Nova Scotia and join a fishing fleet, you'de stand abetter chance of makin' it. Seriously, tough time to think lawncare.
Hey groomer you still got the vac for sale
Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hahaha yea I did get rid of the ex. That was one of my problems, being too wrapped up in a girl. I was looking to get back into it this comming season. Previously I never had worked for anyone else, and since I started working for someone else, Ive realized that I rather be my own boss again. I guess it was a hard lesson to learn. My previous company, JS Landscaping was successful, but I think it was just the wrong time for me to be running a company with the things I was dealing with outside of the business as well as burning myself out. I guess you can say it has been very confusing to me, thus why I came here looking for insight and opinions. I do think I will be starting out again this comming spring, I figure what do I really have to loose? Hopefully can make some contact with some of the 70+ lawns I used to maintain, being that almost all of them I left on good terms with. Time to start back up from the basics and work my way back up the ladder again, although I do think it will be easier this time due to ive already learned from the mistakes Ive made previously. Thanks for the help guys.
What I have found it is hard to get some good customers back once you leave them. Sure you left on good terms but it is hard to find a good lawn care company and some people may have found your replacement and dont want to take a chance on you going out of business again. I just didn't want you quiting a good job relying on your old customers. Just food for thought, but there are many more customers besides your old ones anyway. Good luck and welcome back.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point actionlawn4u, I will be sending them a formal letter in the next few comming weeks letting them know what my intensions are for this upcomming season. If I can get a few back, that would be great. I do not plan to leave the company I am with currently climbing for, until I reach the point of being able to have a business built up to where I can not juggle the two anymore. It will be a part time, after work weekend deal to start, but hopefully progress back up the chain. Going to be contacting my insurance agent that I used for my last company, again tomorow and get the ball rolling, once I pick out a business name and get my licencing with the state. Previously I was a DBA type business, looking to possibly go as an LLC this time. Already got the my remaining equipment out and started going over all of it to start getting things ready, even though winter is still going to be here for a few months. New year, new ambition, new business.