Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah they have some underground water issues. Not that it is an excuse for a poorly constructed wall. She should be talking warranty work with original contractor and should be able to get that done, if not it would be a legal matter, BBB and so on. My questions is if she is your neighbor and wants you to fix it, why didnt she have you do it to begin with?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We moved in right before they started all the work on there property. Had everyone lined up at that point. Since then they have kinda adopted my 9 year old daughter and she spends more time there than at home. Super nice people.

One other note is where the break happened there was a old set of steps. I forgot that so that portion of the slope will have to be addressed. Any suggestions on that would be helpfull.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

are there no "clips" in that wall? kinda looks like the blocks they sell at home depot or lowes, a real shame. when something like this happens it makes all of us look bad, unfortunately people don't often see it as a contractor problem but as a problem w/ the product itself.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, 3rd mistake.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

WOW! I am NCMA segemented retaining wall certified and boy there looks like a laundry list of errors. Like it was said before and had happened a many time to me, customer goes with a low bid and that's what they get. That block doesn't even look suitable for a wall over 1' let alone 5'. It's a real shame, it makes the rest of us look bad. How many times I have been called to repair another contractors short cuts for price or been passed over because the other contractor tells the homeowner "you don't need to build it like that, I have 20 years experience, blah, blah, blah".
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend who lives on the side of a hill and had 2 retaining walls built in November, 2008 ... it's ained here every day for the past month and both walls gave way to pressure build-up !! Sorry, don't have pics.
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How tall was that wall? Man I think some one is going to be going out of business. I would like to see some better pics of what is behind the wall, but from the looks of it they did not do much according to the specs. As to your question if it should have gravel and a drain behind it the answer is yes. well I would not use gravel but definetly a concrete sand with a drain set up. Also I have learned on any wall over 4 ft to use geo grid I know they say six but I have seen to many of these lower walls fail that do not have reall stable soil behind them.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packey View Post
well I would not use gravel but definetly a concrete sand with a drain set up.

Can you please explain about the concrete sand? I'm a little confused...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Concrete sand is just a course sand. the reason I use it is do to the fact you should be compacting the back fill as you build up the wall
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packey View Post
Concrete sand is just a course sand. the reason I use it is do to the fact you should be compacting the back fill as you build up the wall

I'm aware of what concrete sand is and its uses. From what you posted it sounds as if you are utilizing concrete sand directly behind the wall to aid in your wall drainage instead of drainage stone. Is this correct? Or am I misunderstanding you?