Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I just got done reading through this thread and I will say I'm amazed at all the answers.

To all who help the homeless and care about their well being .

To all that have a negative view on the homeless.... Don't start lumping the whole homeless society into one lump of lazy degenerates who are looking for handouts.

When I worked as a social worker in college I realized how many homeless people have mental problems that keep them from having a job. Unfortunately they have no families and fell through the cracks of society.

I think we should all be grateful and give a homeless person a coat regardless of their situation. Logo or not, it might save their life.

My sister has gone into social work as a result of what our parents intially made us do as we were growing up. the pay is bad but she enjoys her work very much. She deals with people who have metal issues and cannot provide or relize what they actually need. I feel blessed and there really is no reason for everyone to do there part large or small to help anyone who needs help. Pay it forward is a phrase we live by.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Big negative I can think of is that people may think that this guy used to work for you. I wouldn't want to contract a company that hires homeless guys off the side of the road and then left them back their when they were through. Just a thought.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow nooo give him a jacket... but without your name and # on it !!!

CJ's Lawn Service LLC
Christopher Jodoin Owner
www.cjslawn.com
ICPI CERTIFIED PAVER INSTALLER
Lawncare-Landscaping-Snow Removal
Est.2002 Licensed and Insured
Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
If your ever interested in a mission i know of several churches who would be happy to add to the group. My wife and i do our own personal missions in the philippines. Our last one was a 3 year old boy with bilateral club feet. It only cost us $800 to give him his life back! We visited him last october in Davao city and it was an amazing site to see him run around and play like a normal boy. If your ever interested in doing something like that i have many contacts over seas.
1st. That's an amazing story about your wife.

I'm fascinated by the cost of medical procedures in other countries. Someone here in Charlotte (I read in the news paper) was trying to set up medical junkets for people that were under insured. I also saw where insurance companies offered their clients a bonus, to have procedures done in other countries. The Med system in this country seems so corrupt and imbalanced. I hope it changes.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

If I was homeless and COLD, I wouldn't care who's name or number was on my coat. Would you?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
1st. That's an amazing story about your wife.

I'm fascinated by the cost of medical procedures in other countries. Someone here in Charlotte (I read in the news paper) was trying to set up medical junkets for people that were under insured. I also saw where insurance companies offered their clients a bonus, to have procedures done in other countries. The Med system in this country seems so corrupt and imbalanced. I hope it changes.
Yea the procedures there are incredibly cheap. The $800 included pre surgery treatment, surgery, and post surgery treatment including medicaton. I have before and after pics of the boy but decided not to post for hes only 3 and will respect his privacy. But the pictures are interesting. The pica i have of him with his club feet he always looked so sad. In the after pics it looks like he won the lottery. Great kid too.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkc View Post
If I was homeless and COLD, I wouldn't care who's name or number was on my coat. Would you?
You would be surprised. I've seen homeless people consider some gifts, to be an insult... they desirve better. i.e. not new , not a favorable color or style. You'd be surprised.

One of favorite homeless stories: I met a friend for dinner at a BigBoy resturant. We sat at the counter and had lunch. A homeless man approached my friend as he was leaving. He said he was hungry. My friend brought him in to sit at the counter, he ordered dinner, paid and my friend left. When the homeless guys dinner arrived, he took one bite, spit it out, said the food wasn't fit to eat, and DEMANDED a refund. The manager gave him the money, so as not to cause a disturbance. Moral of story: no good deed goes unpunished. The resturant lost money on the wasted food, and my friend enabled an alcoholic to drink for another night.

I may well be thought of as a heartless ass on some threads on this forum. I have really done MUCH for MANY over the years. I expect to be disappointed with the outcome. ..and am NEVER surprised.