Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there such a thing as too much IRON?

I've always included IRON in my fert program - typically a 6% along with the normal lb per 1000 N with good color results.
The other day I was riding through a "ritzy" neighborhood looking for potential customers. I came up on a few houses with the darkest green fescue you've ever seen - almost to the point of looking black. Obviously it was the IRON but how much? Are they spraying or spreading? Anyone with ideas...
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can always get to much of something. I put just enough Iron down to give it some pop. No idea on application method, but I would not think dry would make it look black.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you mean could it damage the turf, not sure but you would have to put an awful lot on to do that. Depending on the type of iron and how much is applied it will turn the turf almost black. All the iron is basically doing is internally and externally staining the plant. The more you apply, the darker it will get.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmGreen View Post
I've always included IRON in my fert program - typically a 6% along with the normal lb per 1000 N with good color results.
The other day I was riding through a "ritzy" neighborhood looking for potential customers. I came up on a few houses with the darkest green fescue you've ever seen - almost to the point of looking black. Obviously it was the IRON but how much? Are they spraying or spreading? Anyone with ideas...
In my experience, iron will help but can only do so much. More depends on the type and hybrid of grass for exceptional color.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i was always told the lawn will only take up as much as it was possible and the rest was a waste. also possible wash off and staining concrete(liq apps).
i have seen liquid apps turn lawns really dark/black several times.
once a agition belt broke and the iron settled to the botom
many other times the lawn was just cut and then sprayed on a hot day
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug-guy View Post
i was always told the lawn will only take up as much as it was possible and the rest was a waste. also possible wash off and staining concrete(liq apps).
i have seen liquid apps turn lawns really dark/black several times.
once a agition belt broke and the iron settled to the botom
many other times the lawn was just cut and then sprayed on a hot day
I would assume this be true, I'm guessing plants are just like us, we can take vitamins everyday, and our body will only absorb what we need or what we have deficiencies in, nothing more.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll add that generally most soils are not iron deficient, it is just not available for plant uptake. Perhaps instead of adding more iron, you might look for ways to make the iron that is already there available.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

AmGreen

I think you are asking the wrong question. Maybe you should be asking What elements or combination of elements in what form caused that lawn to be almost black green. Iron is only one element and the form of iron along with what other elements it reacts with might be the answer you are seeking.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Back in the golf course days, a week or two before a big tournament, we'd apply liquid iron at 9-12 oz/1000 along with about 1/4# ammonium sulfate to the approaches and around the green. This would turn the grass dark green, almost to the point of being black. It was a big hit with the golfers. The green itself stood out and the topograpy was easier to see for undulations when taking an approach shot. Of course we used nothing but pure white sand in the traps to enhance the visual effect.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

toooooooo much and it will turn black not good