Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone modify PermaGreens to spray tea?

The folks at PermaGreen say it can't be done... but has anyone tried or have any suggestions? I am trying to sell my chemical fert business and get into all natural/organic applications. Now I am doing both, I have about 550 chemical customers and 300 natural/organic customers. I want to use most of my same equipment but modify it a bit for a higher output.
Any info would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you applying CT on your 300 customers lawns already?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Burisek View Post
The folks at PermaGreen say it can't be done... but has anyone tried or have any suggestions? I am trying to sell my chemical fert business and get into all natural/organic applications. Now I am doing both, I have about 550 chemical customers and 300 natural/organic customers. I want to use most of my same equipment but modify it a bit for a higher output.
Any info would be appreciated.
why did they say you can't? is the CT too thick or something?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By the time you filter the tea down to fit through a PG, it will just be brown water. Most of the organisms will not make it through the filtering process.

There are just some things you have to pull a hose to apply to get effective application.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
By the time you filter the tea down to fit through a PG, it will just be brown water. Most of the organisms will not make it through the filtering process.

There are just some things you have to pull a hose to apply to get effective application.
MRKOSAR: It is not because of viscosity but the max rate that a PG will spray. Compost tea folks like to see at least 2 gallons per 1000 as an application rate, some as much as 5 gallons per 1000 or more

We have a couple of customers that use PG to apply tea and say they have great results. The highest I have heard is 1.85 gallons per 1000. The PG's typically come from the factory at .3 to .5 gallons per 1000. Most of the mod's I have seen get it up to almost 1 gallon per 1000

one customer also modified, with a lot of mig welding, the tank and replaced it with a 25 gallon tank from the 11 gallon stock tank, this allowed them about 12 to 13,000 sq ft between refills. they carry it on a truck that has a recycling tank of tea on it, they also carry our product. When they don't have their tea made or run out in the field they use ours so they can finish up the day. It looks like a stretch limo, OH I mean Perma green, same idea though they cut it in half (kind of) and added on to make room for the tank.

Call PG and ask for a compost tea modification, I have sent dozens of folks to them they should be getting the idea pretty soon
Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The pump is the problem. It is a 2 gal/minute pump at the most. That is not enough capacity for agitation and putting out 2 gal/1000.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do not use a PG, I have a tank w/ a boom, and here's what I did to spray tea.
You need a bigger pump and bigger spray tips. The biggest 12 volt pump I found was here: http://www.schabenindustries.com/Ima...2voltpumps.pdf almost all the way down the page, shurflo power twin 7gpm. It draws a lot on the battery, I use a seperate battery for it. The PG has boomless nozzles? I have the regular boom heads, and the tips are interchangable for more gals/K. You need to be putting down 2gals/K minimum. Heres a link to TeeJet http://www.teejet.com/english/home.aspx look under there products for your spray tips and they have charts with gallon out puts.Good luck.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Two solutions: drive the Permagreen slower--thereby applying more compost tea per 1000 sqft. Half speed--you get double the output.
Or...get a bigger pump (of course you would want to replace all the hoses with bigger tubing to allow full flow--go to 3/8ths inside diameter. ) Plus use bigger nozzles or same nozzles just use two (or three). Put an extra tank in the hopper. Open the rate gate to full open and pass the hose through the bottom of the hopper.

Third suggestion: invent a way to remove the water from CT, so as dry product--you could use it in a spreader.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Third suggestion: invent a way to remove the water from CT, so as dry product--you could use it in a spreader.
Great suggestion

as a dry powder (spray dried) it will just kind of fly all over the place and usually not where you want it. been there done that, got the shirt, wore it out. it adds too much cost to have it pelletized, most pelletizers use high heat so it basically smokes the good guys, dead pellets.

we are coming out with a dry powder formulation with high densities of beneficials but for a different application
Old 12-29-2008, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
MRKOSAR: It is not because of viscosity but the max rate that a PG will spray. Compost tea folks like to see at least 2 gallons per 1000 as an application rate, some as much as 5 gallons per 1000 or more

We have a couple of customers that use PG to apply tea and say they have great results. The highest I have heard is 1.85 gallons per 1000. The PG's typically come from the factory at .3 to .5 gallons per 1000. Most of the mod's I have seen get it up to almost 1 gallon per 1000

one customer also modified, with a lot of mig welding, the tank and replaced it with a 25 gallon tank from the 11 gallon stock tank, this allowed them about 12 to 13,000 sq ft between refills. they carry it on a truck that has a recycling tank of tea on it, they also carry our product. When they don't have their tea made or run out in the field they use ours so they can finish up the day. It looks like a stretch limo, OH I mean Perma green, same idea though they cut it in half (kind of) and added on to make room for the tank.

Call PG and ask for a compost tea modification, I have sent dozens of folks to them they should be getting the idea pretty soon
Interesting....I'd like to look at the tea through the scope before and after it comes out of the PG. What does the rest of the program look like? Are they organic? Bridge? Synthetic? 2 gallons per minute isn't much, and no one has touched the biology getting strained out part I mentioned above.

The time it takes to apply the tea and refill, I could have pulled hose and been done. That's applying at 4 gallons per minute with doing a little more work. And Bill, while I respect your product, it's not compost tea. A lot of guys that are possible product buyers from you use the PG's a lot, so you have some vested interest in saying it works. It might be best to get some info from these guys.