Register free!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
I must have mis-communicated it is a common trait of my ancestors passed and present.
Here is an example: I got asked to come to a company in the mid west that has a little over 100 franchises in 24 states, the one I was visiting had 8000 customers, I did not mistype "eight thousand" from one office alone, this did not count the other 99 or so offices.
These franchises have been and are run in a certain way, the home office had "played" with AACT and extracting for 2 years and had given up, they could not figure out how to coordinate it. It was something they were trying to bring into an existing framework and it caused too much heartburn

I believe if they had started with AACT or extracting like several I know have and ran the business from that start it would be completely different

Companies that brew teas are not our customers, companies that want to brew teas or expand into organic lawn/landscape care are. that is our business model to transition companies into less inputs of fertilizers and pesticides and to move to a more sustainable model. There are currently few to none, off the shelf product lines like ours to do that

Our goal is: if we can reduce fertilizer and pesticide inputs by 50 to 75% nationally (hell, regionally), we have accomplished something. Then we can teach them how to get the rest out of their program
and that is the end goal, less fossil based fert( thats what it is I just made a term) fossil based fert, thats a good one.

any who, I will give you that an existing company like that would be a hard nut to crack, lots of growing pains. but it can and could be done even on that scale, base of 8K lawns Thad's about 2000 acres of lawn/scape. 20 days a month that's only about 500 gallons of tea per day so they need 5, 500 gallon brewers at k a unit plus the food and all it could be done. easy and no growing pains, not even on the best day. but it could be done. I just did 150 acres of turf farm in one day in high gear and bust-in it but it got done and with great tea........1550 gallons of it at once one brew one brewer!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

its still so easy to use your I can see the attraction. its like wine coolers take wine and fruit juice and mix with water(ice) and chill serve, no that's to hard, so bartles and james enters with wine coolers in a bottle and make a killing.

yours is the same way, add 123 and its time to spray, I even wish I had some the other day, not a well or fresh water for miles and the only lakes are salt, and in my head I says, "wish I had some jar tea". just add and serve , go home but , eh live life as you do and all that....

so yeah i can see how a 8000 roll call biz just has to go the middle lane and still be on the road to happiness. 3 totes a pump or 3 and a batch tank that they already use and BAM its out the door... and I am sure that one day they will want some of the tree casts to use so........ or some other way to get the diversity down in the soil, not that its gone or wont grow out with the added tea food.........
Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Compost does a soil good!
Sure does. But realistically, how many LCO's are going to make the switch?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
and that is the end goal, less fossil based fert( thats what it is I just made a term) fossil based fert, thats a good one.

any who, I will give you that an existing company like that would be a hard nut to crack, lots of growing pains. but it can and could be done even on that scale, base of 8K lawns Thad's about 2000 acres of lawn/scape. 20 days a month that's only about 500 gallons of tea per day so they need 5, 500 gallon brewers at k a unit plus the food and all it could be done. easy and no growing pains, not even on the best day. but it could be done. I just did 150 acres of turf farm in one day in high gear and bust-in it but it got done and with great tea........1550 gallons of it at once one brew one brewer!!!!!!!!
One step at a time.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
That is an easy question to answer .... none if they never attempt it.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Like Kiril said, the ones that don't try, never will. The more important question is how many that don't try will still survive. There are going to be less expensive ways to maintain turf and landscapes for a long time, BUT are they as efficient. Who are you competing with? Someone mentioned an app every month of the growing season. What? so chem lawn does 6 so we will apply 8? but it is 8 organic apps, so the customer gets to feel good? Why not get down to a realistic agronomic stance. How many apps NEED to happen to have great turf? 3? possibly 4? Might have to put down some of that "crack for grass" tree was talking about to make a transition in a new lawn, but the goal is to get them to an organic program. If you SELL the 4 app plan, but your 4 apps are 50% more than the spray and pray guys out there, you still cost the same amount of money /sq'. If your average lawn looks like it should, they will beat down your door. Not because your an "organic" company, but because your not shelling them for 2-3 apps they do not need and your providing a great product.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bartles & Jaymes

Note the Y. I met those guys Frank and Ed - even shot a commercial with them - when they rolled out Eds Red. I sold the stuff for Gallo for about 15 years, built a 3200 case display for Super Bowl in the the shape of a Stadium with a blimp and everything. the bottles on the field were the players with helmets - very cool.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Modified ride on

Folks,
I have been saying I was going to do this for a long time and have not. The company that makes the compost tea ride-on is purely organic lawn care out of York Harbor Maine, (207) 363-1200 I do believe either Kevin or Michelle is there answering phones. Its still cold up there so the staffing is minimal

It has a 25 gallon tank and sprays 1.85 gallons per 1000, a spreader in front and is made for spraying teas. It looks like a PG but different when you get up close, it has a sulky instead a built in foot hold, it puts out a bigger droplet size than others which is great for teas

i have no idea what the cost is you will have to call them
Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

call made info taken, lets see what happens, maybe its the silver bullet fot this gig, lots of people dont have the cake for a unit like this and a spreader.........3K$
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've yet to brew my first batch of tea, but I'm going to jump in here a little bit anyway. First, what would you LOSE by putting a large 50 or 100 mesh screen on the line taking the tea from the tank? Put a 4" in/out spray screen on a 2" line and my gut says you could empty a tank w/o cleaning it. You could then clean the screen and go again.

I had a spray wheelie and used it to apply fungicides on golf greens back in '94. I changed the nozzles out to apply 2.5 gallons/m I had the 10 gallon unit and I could spray most of my greens at the time w/ one tank. Most turf fungicides (I know, dirty words down here in the organic forum) like to go down at 2gal/m minimum and would prefer to go down at 5gal/m I didn't try to get up to 5 gal/m. I was filling up and carrying enough water the way it was, BUT it allowed me to survive in an environment that I would have been DOA in w/o fungicides. 2gal/m nozzles are going to be big enough to not want the 50 mesh screens above them. To me this means you should be good to go for tea. Hauling the tea in a 200 gallon tank in the back of a truck and filling the sprayer on site should be a good deal. Getting a blower of some kind to add some extra air to that 200 gallon tank should increase the quality of the tea being applied. (Or, I have missed the concept and need to read EVERYTHING again)
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?