Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2008, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plate Compactor Recommendation...

We recently started doing our own paver, wall, and other masonry installations about 6 months ago, and have been renting a Wacker 1550 compactor...

As the rentals bills continue to come in, I've made the executive decision to buy (I always prefer to own rather than to send someone to the rental place, pay the rental, etc.)...

The Wacker has been working fine, thus far; I'm considering purchasing one..
Before I do, though, I wanted to get some recommendations for the guys who have been doing this a bit longer than we have and who have experience with different brands of compactors.

Any suggestions??
Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd go with the Wacker 2540a. It compacts at 5600# and is reversible. This machine will do 4" lifts no problem and is great for tight spaces and footer trenches
Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

bigger is better
Old 01-01-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

1550- $1300
2540 A - $5200

pretty big difference.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
1550- $1300
2540 A - $5200

pretty big difference.
My thoughts exactly...

I know several other guys who use the 1550s, and they've never had any problems with the stability/strength of their bases.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 1550 and a Sakai/MMD Compaction Pro 800. They're virtually identical machines but the Wacker has a higher ground speed... which I don't like. The Sakai seems to reach the desired level of compaction in less passes, it's also alot easier to handle in tight quarters and around obstacles. The Sakai is also quieter. I would say the Wacker has a ground speed about 30% faster than the Sakai.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

We use Multiquip Mikasa 3500# & 7000# plate compactors which are both ICPI recommended sizes. This is very critical for efficient, and to achieve proper proctor density compaction for base preparation for either SRW, and interlocking pavers. We are authorized contractors through many of our local hardscape dealerships, Belgard, and Unilock. They Require us to follow ICPI guidelines for our installations. Not to mention this extra effort in our work literally sells itself when we meet with new clients. I figure on spending approx. $1 pond pond on our compactors it's a fairly close estimate.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I paid $3200 for mine. And I would have paid much more now that I have it and realize it's potential. A compactor is certainly not the place you want to cheap out
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to Ebay and get them. We bought all three of ours there. We ended up getting a Wacker 3545A for $1700.00 off of there, that's about a $9000 tamper! It works great and slams 8" at a time with no problem, done and on to the next thing. We have two 1550's as well. If you're going to get serious about hardscaping a 1550 won't do what you need, you'll spend way too much time in 2" lifts to make it work, or it won't be done right.

Most of the bigger compactors that are on Ebay probably came from rental stores wanting to unload. You can find some pretty good deals there.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-02-2009, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The pawn shop industry is booming.

Check youl local pawn shops.

Also, most rental companies will sell their rental stuff, usually you need to ask them.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.