Register free!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Winter fert, in Kansas, applied NOW?

Just heard about an outfit here, mowing guys that fertilize (like me) that were out today and yesterday doing their winter fertilizer applications. (December 30-31) The temps here were in the single digits to teens for almost 3 weeks. Just have a warm spell the last few days.

Is that NUTS? I was under the impression you were supposed to get the fert down a couple weeks PRIOR to dormancy so the roots could take it up. My guess, applying now would be a total waste, nothing is going to be taken up by the plant and the fert is going to be leached out of the rootzone before the grass even greens up.

Am I right, or wrong?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you are right.

i would be tempted to follow their truck and knock on every door and talk to every one of their customers.

maybe they were putting something down that did not contain N, or maybe it was organic and will still be there in the spring. But, more than likely they were just screwing over their customers.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Just heard about an outfit here, mowing guys that fertilize (like me) that were out today and yesterday doing their winter fertilizer applications. (December 30-31) The temps here were in the single digits to teens for almost 3 weeks. Just have a warm spell the last few days.

Is that NUTS? I was under the impression you were supposed to get the fert down a couple weeks PRIOR to dormancy so the roots could take it up. My guess, applying now would be a total waste, nothing is going to be taken up by the plant and the fert is going to be leached out of the rootzone before the grass even greens up.

Am I right, or wrong?
Definately wrong time to apply fert if the ground is frozen.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-31-2008, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Definately wrong time to apply fert if the ground is frozen.
Well, suprisingly the ground thawed, at least where it gets some sun. Places that are on the north sides of houses, fences, etc. are still hard. We had a couple days that it was balmy warm, usually typical for this time of year, we go from zero to 70 and everywhere in between all winter...

I've never heard of ANYONE throwing fert around here much later than Dec.1. Usually thanksgiving is the cut-off, and that's only if we are still having some good warm weather...

I wish I did have a scout out following them, but I don't need the extra work anyway. They already accuse me of being the type that goes around stealing lawns, which is odd, I've never knowingly lowballed anyone. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever even taken over one of their lawns.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out one of the other posts, a feller was asking if what he did was ok. Putting down high amounts of N. I beleive he was from Kansas????
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I was wrong, he is from Kentucky. Not accusing anyone, just pointing out the coincidence of your post and his post near each other.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Screwing the customer. Even if it thawed on top roots are dormant and will not take anything up. Plus if it did thaw and stay warm for a stretch you sure as he$# don't want to promote growth this time of year.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What do your extension people say? What about local turf suppliers and experts? Results are what counts. You need a side by side comparison in the spring. On the other hand, I think there may be a high probablility of surface run off or ground water contamination with nitrates.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They could have been putting down some Milorganite on cool season grass. Now if they are doing warm season also they are wasting there time. On bentgrass I'll be putting down 5lbs/1000 next week,but bent is a cool season grass. I have ask in another form but no one has answer so I'll ask here. Does any one use Regal product and if not who is everyone using. It seems that everyone is using JDL.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
They could have been putting down some Milorganite on cool season grass. Now if they are doing warm season also they are wasting there time. On bentgrass I'll be putting down 5lbs/1000 next week,but bent is a cool season grass. I have ask in another form but no one has answer so I'll ask here. Does any one use Regal product and if not who is everyone using. It seems that everyone is using JDL.
Not sure about your climate etc., but I'm curious - What is the purpose for fertilizer of any kind now in Kentucky? What is the thinking behind it?