Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker vs Exmark Navigator

Ok then, I have been reading all the threads about the walker machines and the Exmark Navigators, and with no experience with either, I would like to ask which one is better and why? I have always used ztr mowers here in north florida, and i have never really seen one around here either. BUT, i really like how they can bag and store the debris in the box. The only question i have on that is how do you empty the box? I have used baggers on ztr mowers and just empty them into the truck. Any info would be great as I am interested in purchasing one of these. Our Exmark dealer in Tallahassee is going to carry the Navigator now and im curious about them. thanx yall.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy74x View Post
Ok then, I have been reading all the threads about the walker machines and the Exmark Navigators, and with no experience with either, I would like to ask which one is better and why? I have always used ztr mowers here in north florida, and i have never really seen one around here either. BUT, i really like how they can bag and store the debris in the box. The only question i have on that is how do you empty the box? I have used baggers on ztr mowers and just empty them into the truck. Any info would be great as I am interested in purchasing one of these. Our Exmark dealer in Tallahassee is going to carry the Navigator now and im curious about them. thanx yall.
I have used both and now own a Navigator. I don't think one is better than the other. It just depends on your preference. I hated the Navigator when I first tried it, but it grew on me. I feel like the Navigator has a stronger deck than the walker, however I feel that the Navigator is a little touchier. I either put the clippings in a barrel and throw in the truck or dump them on a tarp and throw that in the truck. I have a leaf vac that I suck the clippings up with now, though. It's so much easier. Hope all this makes sense.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-01-2009, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think it depends on what type areas you are cutting. I own a Walker and have demoed the Navigator. To me the Walker does better in tight places with alot of trimming areas and the Navigator would be better in more open large areas because of the bigger size and speed. I think both are great mowers with the size and speed going to the Navigator and the close trimming capabilities and attachment options going to the Walker.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I own both and if you search this site you will see the mods I made to the Navigator. I made it a lever style drive like the ZTRs and put the walker high lift and catcher on it. I love the fact that the Nav will catch at full speed but with the origional steering is too touchy (move your chewing gum from left to right and your gone), the cut is better than the walker too, but my wallker is 6 years old and has 2200 hours on it without issue. the Nav has only 280 hours, but with Hydrogear drives and hydros it should be good.
Speed = Nav
Slow and intricate = Walker
Toro Reelmaster
Exmark Navigator
5x Honda 216
4x Husquavana 323
etc, etc!
Hino Dutro Truck
Mazda T3500 Truck
Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe someone would be kind enough to post detailed pictures of both, especially the underside of decks, closeups of belts and engine compartments, Blades off the machine showing design and lift.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've owned a walker mt-20 for three years now and love it. i have the high dump with 9.5 bushel. i use 42" ghs deck most time but have a 48" sd when i need it. walker is great for leaves, has alarm when full and quick to dump. only problems at first was the dealer didn't have a mechanic to work on it ( he said he had 18 mechanics and 4 loaners when i bought it), and they said they would give me a loaner but never would. i now use another dealer a little farther away but no problems with them. if you hit something real hard with the deck . you could damage the drives which cost plenty to repair. i don't like the wheel drive they have rather have the ztr 2 levers.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Maybe someone would be kind enough to post detailed pictures of both, especially the underside of decks, closeups of belts and engine compartments, Blades off the machine showing design and lift.
I'll do my part. I'll take some pics of the Navigator in a couple of days when I do winterizations on all of the equipment. Is there a volunteer for detailed pics of the Walker? This might be the most productive waler vs. navigator thread yet. No bickering, just good points for both sides.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are thinking about buying new... one thing to consider is that (I am told) ExMark has a warehouse full of Navigators, and haven't actually made a new one for a couple of years.
They didn't have it on display at G.I.E. this year, and when asked, the rep just turned and walked away.
I heard from an ExMark Dealer that ExMark is dropping the model because of poor sales.

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-01-2009, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
If you are thinking about buying new... one thing to consider is that (I am told) ExMark has a warehouse full of Navigators, and haven't actually made a new one for a couple of years.
They didn't have it on display at G.I.E. this year, and when asked, the rep just turned and walked away.
I heard from an ExMark Dealer that ExMark is dropping the model because of poor sales.

Just my 2 cents
This was always in the back of my mind when I was demoing the Navigater. I think it is sad that that the only company that has been able to support long term building of this type of mower has been Walker. Competition is a good thing, it keeps new thoughts an ideals going that can make the products we use better. I knew a couple of guys that loved the Scag Cougar mowers, but it seems like other MFG's have a Walker style for 5-10 years and then they stop production.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the help guys, alot. I can tell from the posts either of the machines are excellent, I think it depends on your turf type, for which to choose. Here its either centipede or st. augustine or bermuda. The ONLY drwaback is that i dont think i would be fond of having to dump the box into a tarp then load in the truck, its gotta be dad gum heavy isnt it? I have seen the pics of both machines quality, and i have to say thet here striping is not all that big of a deal with our turf, the grass doesnt really stripe at all. But to be able to bagis a plus. And a bagging system for our deere machines are like $2800 which im my opinion is absolutely ridiculous amount of money for plastic. I think dumping into a pile, then using a leaf loader would be the best way to go. Thanx for all the help guys. Happy New Year!!!!!