Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking about getting back into the business...opinions wanted

Hey guys, havent been on here in a long time, but I figured this is the place to come to with some questions... Up until sept. of 2007 I had a successful lawn and landscape company, but ended up shutting down in 2007 for a number of reasons ranging from family problems, cash flow problems to an ex gf that was screwing with my head and walking all over me . Went to work for a tree company as a climber, been climbing ever since for a few differnt companys. Dont get me wrong I love climbing, but I still have the itch to have my own company again. And the itch seems to be getting worse as we are slowing down with tree work and I have more time to think. I had gotten rid of all my old clients as well as 95% of my equipment and pretty much closed up shop completly with my last company JS Landscaping. Been kickin the idea of starting something up new again, something fresh, new name, new everything and starting from scratch again. Currently Im a lead climber for the company I work for now, and they pay isnt bad.....but i dont know If i like working for someone else anymore. The freedom and pride just isnt there like it was when I had my own gig. If do end up going through with this and starting up again...it will be nothing but a 100% focused effort to it, and build it up past the point where I was when I quit back in 07. What are your opinions on it? Do you think its worth a shot again? Any imput is apreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Landscaping View Post
Hey guys, havent been on here in a long time, but I figured this is the place to come to with some questions... Up until sept. of 2007 I had a successful lawn and landscape company, but ended up shutting down in 2007 for a number of reasons ranging from family problems, cash flow problems to an ex gf that was screwing with my head and walking all over me . Went to work for a tree company as a climber, been climbing ever since for a few differnt companys. Dont get me wrong I love climbing, but I still have the itch to have my own company again. And the itch seems to be getting worse as we are slowing down with tree work and I have more time to think. I had gotten rid of all my old clients as well as 95% of my equipment and pretty much closed up shop completly with my last company JS Landscaping. Been kickin the idea of starting something up new again, something fresh, new name, new everything and starting from scratch again. Currently Im a lead climber for the company I work for now, and they pay isnt bad.....but i dont know If i like working for someone else anymore. The freedom and pride just isnt there like it was when I had my own gig. If do end up going through with this and starting up again...it will be nothing but a 100% focused effort to it, and build it up past the point where I was when I quit back in 07. What are your opinions on it? Do you think its worth a shot again? Any imput is apreciated! Thanks guys!
guess it depends on whether you want the hassle of running a lawn care business or want to collect a paycheck. i can't work for other people, i worked for a company for 11 years before i started my business but couldnt deal with have bosses who were incompatent.
2-20 foot trailers
1-12 foot trailer
3-2007 exmark hp ztr 50"
1-2001 exmark hp ztr 52"
1-1996 lesco walk behind 36"
1-honda 21" mower
1-lesco renovator
1-lesco aerator
1-50 gal. poly spray tank
1-permagreen spreader/sprayer
4-kawasaki string trimmers
4 kawasaki backpack blowers
1-13hp little wonder walk behind blower
Old 12-27-2008, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think something to consider is that with alot of people getting laid off from their jobs their first thought is to go into lawn care !! Having said that, it appears that since you've done this before with some success you most likely would be successful at it again. Good luck !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Move to Nova Scotia and join a fishing fleet, you'de stand abetter chance of makin' it. Seriously, tough time to think lawncare.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

JS i think i just got done reading some stuff you posted awhile back about storm cleanups lol. .. Maybe wrong but i just read it. weird. Do what you love, good luck if you comeback

Kean's Lawn Service
2005 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel
60" Exmark Lazer Z 2005 Triton Deck
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
7x14 open landscape trailer
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you get rid of your old girlfriend ?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I also can't work for other people. I would say if you had success in the past, then go for it. It's a little tough right now, but it sounds like you have a handle on things. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Hahaha yea I did get rid of the ex. That was one of my problems, being too wrapped up in a girl. I was looking to get back into it this comming season. Previously I never had worked for anyone else, and since I started working for someone else, Ive realized that I rather be my own boss again. I guess it was a hard lesson to learn. My previous company, JS Landscaping was successful, but I think it was just the wrong time for me to be running a company with the things I was dealing with outside of the business as well as burning myself out. I guess you can say it has been very confusing to me, thus why I came here looking for insight and opinions. I do think I will be starting out again this comming spring, I figure what do I really have to loose? Hopefully can make some contact with some of the 70+ lawns I used to maintain, being that almost all of them I left on good terms with. Time to start back up from the basics and work my way back up the ladder again, although I do think it will be easier this time due to ive already learned from the mistakes Ive made previously. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If u have a plan, the experience,(u do) and the start up money....why not. U sound like u know what is gonna happen, no surprises there. If ya do it do it right. Good Luck it sounds like u have already made your mind up.......I even sense u have bought some equipment already?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I do have some equipment that I did not sell still left, mainly kept it for taking care of my own house and yard. I will be purchasing some new Z's if things really get rolling again, which I hope they do. There just isnt the same sadisfaction at the end of the day working for someone else as there is when you are running your own company, Ive come to realize.