Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

New poster

Been reading for awhile and finally decided to register. I may not have much to contribute but there's a good, quality amount of that anyhow.

I have a question concerning a MAC3510 chainsaw. I've had it for 10 years(no, folks. I don't want to throw it away..............yet. ) It has started for me second or third pull everytime, all these years excluding this year. I'll fully admit it's more than likely my fault for leaving it unattended for about 2 years w/ gasoline left in it.

It would start as usual but would not idle. I don't have the manual anymore so I started adjusted a screw marked "T" on the body of the unit. I'm assuming this is the fuel/air mixture?

Well.....................now it rarely starts.(floods) I adjusted the screw all the way to the right and backed it out about 2 1/4 turns. Any ideas on where this screw should be set? Any ideas on possibly finding a manual? What's my chances on parts because I'm sure the carb will need a build.

I've changed out the plug, thoroughly cleaned the thing including the filter and would like to have this guy running again. It really is/was a good saw.
I inquired at the local repair shops and they all suggested I could probably buy a new one for what it'd cost to fix this one. I find that suspicious.

What's the general consensus for craftsman chainsaws? Who builds 'em?

Thanx for anything you can do to help me out. I appreciate the time and effort on your behalf.

Last edited by Dustbag; 12-21-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: One last question
Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbag View Post
Been reading for awhile and finally decided to register. I may not have much to contribute but there's a good, quality amount of that anyhow.

I have a question concerning a MAC3510 chainsaw. I've had it for 10 years(no, folks. I don't want to throw it away..............yet. ) It has started for me second or third pull everytime, all these years excluding this year. I'll fully admit it's more than likely my fault for leaving it unattended for about 2 years w/ gasoline left in it.

It would start as usual but would not idle. I don't have the manual anymore so I started adjusted a screw marked "T" on the body of the unit. I'm assuming this is the fuel/air mixture?

Well.....................now it rarely starts.(floods) I adjusted the screw all the way to the right and backed it out about 2 1/4 turns. Any ideas on where this screw should be set? Any ideas on possibly finding a manual? What's my chances on parts because I'm sure the carb will need a build.

I've changed out the plug, thoroughly cleaned the thing including the filter and would like to have this guy running again. It really is/was a good saw.
I inquired at the local repair shops and they all suggested I could probably buy a new one for what it'd cost to fix this one. I find that suspicious.

Thanx for anything you can do to help me out. I appreciate the time and effort on your behalf.
Hey Dustbag. Dustbag here. I have found some answers for your questions.

FIrst off you have a MAC 3514 not a Mac 3510. Pay attention would ya. Lesson learned in not maintaining your unit accordingly? Never leave gas in your chainsaw for 2 years. Moron. They have additives these days if you're gonna be that lazy.

It's going to be difficult to find a manual for this older model chainsaw. Parts probably same. Good luck with that.

The "T" marked on the body of the unit with the adjustment screw is more than likely for the throttle adjustment. Nice guess tho. Adjust it back to where you found it. There are two more adjustment screws marked "H" and "L". You're going to have to remove the plastic peices on these screws to be able to adjust them. Since you're at a higher altitude than you were in PHX., try adjusting the "H" screw first. Do this ever so slightly with continuous try's at starting the thing. Use some carb cleaner once you get it started again to clean out the internals. This may help.

Any Craftsman chainsaw with the Sim-Pul starting system is manufactured by Husqvarna Outdoor Products ( Jonsered, Poulan, Poulan Pro) Which is owned by Electrolux. The Electrolux group has been pretty much the largest chainsaw manufacturer in the world for some time now.

Electrolux owns the following brands:

McCulloch
Poulan (which incorporated Partner of Sweden and Pioneer of Canada)
- Poulan also make chainsaws under the Craftsman brand Husqvarna
Jonsered.

Hope this helps, Dustbag.

Take care,
Dustbag......................

Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you find the search function or perform some honest-to-goodness research? Either way or both...good & thorough job!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dustbag, please put your location in your profile. ... TY
Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Did you find the search function or perform some honest-to-goodness research? Either way or both...good & thorough job!
Good 'ol fashioned research and a dash of common sense...............
Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Dustbag, please put your location in your profile. ... TY
Done....................
Old 12-23-2008, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Dustbag;2657374]Hey Dustbag. Dustbag here. I have found some answers for your questions.

are you talking to yourself?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

yep, asked and answered his own questions with-in 13 min. Pretty good.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbag View Post

Welcome, Craftsman gas powered handheld products are ok, I love their hand mechanic tools Seriously though with proper maintenance & long term storage prep (gas stabilizer). IMO your saw would have started up, PLEASE save yourself the trouble and just go purchase a new chainsaw. If it was a good saw you did not treat it as such