Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I'm concerned (in my area at least), what you're saying that you're gonna do is throw a bag of trash in people's driveways. That what everyone I've talked to (myself included) does with those type of ads - TRASH CAN. That's just my opinion for my area - keep that in mind. Every area is DIFFERENT.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I was somewhat with you, right up till the pea gravel and throwing them out onto the lawns/driveways.

That is simply poor. I sincerely think you need to re-think your strategy.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You are TOTALLY appealing to the worst potential customers...

How about: we cut corners so we can cut prices ...

Or... We are the Walmart of lawn care: cheap, $hitty products with bad service - but GUARANTEED to save you a nickel...

Just kidding... a bit... but seriously: is pricing all you're bringing to the table?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhastrello View Post
I was somewhat with you, right up till the pea gravel and throwing them out onto the lawns/driveways.

That is simply poor. I sincerely think you need to re-think your strategy.
The only other alternative to getting these things onto peoples driveways would be to vacuum seal them, and then what would I use to weigh them down so they don't just blow away?

3+ years going strong.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolawns View Post
As far as I'm concerned (in my area at least), what you're saying that you're gonna do is throw a bag of trash in people's driveways. That what everyone I've talked to (myself included) does with those type of ads - TRASH CAN. That's just my opinion for my area - keep that in mind. Every area is DIFFERENT.
It's never been done around here

3+ years going strong.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
You are TOTALLY appealing to the worst potential customers...

How about: we cut corners so we can cut prices ...

Or... We are the Walmart of lawn care: cheap, $hitty products with bad service - but GUARANTEED to save you a nickel...

Just kidding... a bit... but seriously: is pricing all you're bringing to the table?
Quality work at a reasonable price is what I have.

On a side note, what is that in your avatar? Is that a bee?

3+ years going strong.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsac View Post
Quality work at a reasonable price is what I have.

On a side note, what is that in your avatar? Is that a bee?
Then focus on quality of work. I'd strongly encourage you to not lure them in with the dangling carrot of price. Rather, allude to how reasonable your rates are - especially in light of the high caliber of work. I only say this because I speak from experience. I did the same thing to get my biz rolling. But when I transitioned away from that and sold "quality" and not price (and quit competing with the entry-level competitors on $$$), the dynamics of my customers changed in a VERY big and VERY good way. Nowhere near the nagging, complaining, late paying, and turnover - plus I was making more dough.

As for the avatar, it's a Jerusalem Cricket. Harmless, but scared the bejeebies out of me when I came across him while spraying.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Then focus on quality of work. I'd strongly encourage you to not lure them in with the dangling carrot of price. Rather, allude to how reasonable your rates are - especially in light of the high caliber of work. I only say this because I speak from experience. I did the same thing to get my biz rolling. But when I transitioned away from that and sold "quality" and not price (and quit competing with the entry-level competitors on $$$), the dynamics of my customers changed in a VERY big and VERY good way. Nowhere near the nagging, complaining, late paying, and turnover - plus I was making more dough.

As for the avatar, it's a Jerusalem Cricket. Harmless, but scared the bejeebies out of me when I came across him while spraying.
I agree with you, so then what can I do with this form of advertising to maximize the quality aspect? I know that my previous posts have set the tone for this piece of material, but lets try and forget that.

I feel as though the ad looks good, it isn't cheaply made, and I am going to print it on heavy stock paper so that it has a durable feel which will only incease the thought of quality in peoples' minds.

Now I am going for solid customers that pay on time and have money for upsells. Those people don't have money out of luck, they are smart people. They know what a good deal looks like, and haven't gotten where they are today by buying the most expensive thing that comes at every corner. My prices aren't the most expensive, but they also aren't the cheapest. I believe they are foot-in-the-door prices.

I just need more ideas on how to affectively deliver these things so that their first impression is 'wow, that's cool!' Instead of, 'ahh, what's this crap on my driveway'

3+ years going strong.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Four color printing, and something that is not 'Xeroxed or Printed around the corner'. Either a door hanger or flyer that is noticeable (that one will be small).

You are going to need to put it on their door, to be even remotely effective. Legwork.

See about hiring some day labor. Drop 2 at the end of the street and let them deliver/post them to the other end.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhastrello View Post
Four color printing, and something that is not 'Xeroxed or Printed around the corner'. Either a door hanger or flyer that is noticeable (that one will be small).

You are going to need to put it on their door, to be even remotely effective. Legwork.

See about hiring some day labor. Drop 2 at the end of the street and let them deliver/post them to the other end.
I'm going to do door hangers too, but I thought this was be another marketing strategy. The door hangers will be printed with plan-itgraphics.com and will have the same concept, with prices on the back and a color something on the front. I will let them design it all though.

I'm going to go through with this idea though, and will let you guys know the results. It will only cost me probably 75-100$ to do this and I really want to see what kind of results it might get.

3+ years going strong.