Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you just have slots cut in the the piece of steel on the other side, held together with the nut and bolt as a slide pin, so it comes down and secures them (along with the lock to lock it up). That's a good setup. Well done!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ya, I think have that worded correctly. The bolt and piece of flat bar move up and down inside the slot on the angle piece. I'l get a pick tomorrow of the back side to clarify, very simple setup, didn't take long to conjure up. Somewhat creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have any welding capacity at all, save your money and build one yourself. The one attached to my trailer started as a 2-stick rack that I built to fit the bed-stake-pockets on my first truck. When I bought my trailers (2 of them), I just moved the rack from one to the other - eventually adding on a 3rd carrying rack for it.

At this point it's 7 or 8 years old and still perfectly functional. Cost maybe $15 to build...
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's creative, looks like everything moves around a whole lot because of the pin not actually touching or even near the trigger, other than that looks great, that 1 inch square tubing is fairly inexpensive.

Quote:
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
That's creative, looks like everything moves around a whole lot because of the pin not actually touching or even near the trigger, other than that looks great, that 1 inch square tubing is fairly inexpensive.
The trigger rests in the crotch of the rack, allowing for only minimal rotation (like 30 degrees at most) - but it doesn't rotate (with my machines), because the lopsidedness of the motors holds them in the same position as gravity keeps the sticks rotated to the stopping point. It could be absolute-zero rotation if one padded that crotch with foam - but since I've never had any trouble, that wheel must not need grease.

The beauty of this rack is that when I get out to work, I just shove it down a couple inches so the trigger is free of the post, spin it into easy cord-pulling position and fire it up while it's in the rack.

Yes, steel has gone up since I build, but it's still gonna be much, much cheaper than buying a prefabbed one.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post

Yes, steel has gone up since I build, but it's still gonna be much, much cheaper than buying a prefabbed one.
That's a fact. Wish I would have done that for my trimmers. I'm thinking about doing that and selling the trimmer trap that I have, I still have metal left over, but no horse shoes, but I have my sources to get those.

I guess getting the most out of your money with minimum funding and maximum material is key to building things.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess getting the most out of your money with minimum funding and maximum material is key to building things.
Oh, I don't know. I think there's more to it than that. It's the fun of building something... mixed with the disappointment one feels when all the "professional" stuff doesn't meet your needs. I, for one, don't care for any of the "legit" units, because they take too long to get in and out of. I can get-out and put-away my sticks with one hand in about one second. Putting away is especially nice, because the trimmer just pushes the spring out of the way, so all you have to do is push the trimmer towards its slot and it drops right in and is ready to roll to the next lawn...
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, everyone is creative in their own way, just wish we could put a patent on our stuff so we can sell it! I can't tell, but does your lock?

Quote:
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey, everyone is creative in their own way, just wish we could put a patent on our stuff so we can sell it! I can't tell, but does your lock?
Nope. Never had a thing stolen so long as I've been in business. It'd be easy enough to put a backplate on behind the bolts, though - so they couldn't be pushed in...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats good, well, here is what mine looks like on the back side. The bolt in the flat bar stays stationary and moves up and down in the slot in the angle iron piece.
Attached Images

Quote: