Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2002, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If its cold should I put out flyers?

I had planned to put out flyers this week but a cold front has come through. The temperature on Sunday was 75. The high today Monday was 50. Tuesday's high is going to be in the 30's. The rest of the week looks about the same.

Should I wait till next week when it is warm. Or put them out now and hope they don't get thrown away. I have seen a post ont this but couldn't find it.

Thanks, Jason
Old 02-26-2002, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Member

wait!!!!

I would wait. With it being so cold they could use the flyer to start their fire place. Then your advertising would be "up in smoke".LOL

No, really I think when it is this cold, especially in tx, getting their lawn serviced is the last thing on their mind.

Just my opinion

KB LAWN SERVICE

60 MILES NW OF AUSTIN
Old 02-26-2002, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Jason, with the wind chill in the teens right now I would wait till next week. You know TEXAS, wait five minutes..... and it will be 100 degrees and sunny. I am planning on distributing all our fliers between the 1st and 15th of March if the weather is nice. I like to wait till we have about one solid week of temperatures in the 60's or higher.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
Get the same weather here. It was 72 & dry friday so I was able to work. I had put out flyers Mon - Thurs. @ 20 - 50 degrees. Yesterday it snowed but we will still get a few calls a day to set up work for march & april. And the flyers I put out in early Feb., we get calls from them into May and June. Our early flyers focus on dethatch, aeration, clean up, then switch to a mow focus later in March. By the begining of April, if the weather cooperates, there just doesn't seem to be much time to put out flyers.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the customers we get from flyers are usually ones that are looking or dont pay much attention the weather and dont feel like or care about doing the work, therefore the temperature doesnt make much of a difference, however if its snowing then i wouldnt, and if its really really cold i wouldnt, but if its just chilly and warm front i near, go for it
Old 02-26-2002, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Going to wait

I am going to wait a couple of more days. I don't think I want to put out the flyers now myself. It was really cold today. The 20 to 30 mph winds didn't help either. Thanks for info!

Jason
Old 02-26-2002, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just do it.

Just do it. If someone is fed up with their other guy, they'll entertain any offer at any time. The tough part is hitting the right person (the seeker). For that you must pass tons of flyers and that takes time-so don't wait. If you run out, buy more and do it again later. This is the cheapest form of advertising.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm creating my flyers now. Here in Alabama we went from 70deg last week to a high today of around 40. I'm hoping to start putting out mine next week if the weather warms.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was 60 degress the other day here in Cleveland, today it is 20 and expecting 2" to 6". So we suspended our delivery. However, if we resume (just so we can get the quantity out that we need to) we will start with less favorable, lower priority areas during poor weather, and move into the better areas with nicer weather.

It's a numbers game - the more you get out, the more calls you'll get. I think weather has some effect on people's thinking, however, I think something is better than nothing.

Therefore, if you can get all your flyers out without interfering with your other work when the weather is nicer, then wait. Otherwise, press on and get them out there.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would post the flyers NOW! You are building a brand. Brand your name in their brain. Like Marty Grunder says, "Do you drink soda or Coke? Do you use a tissue or Kleenex?" When people think of lawn service, make them think of YOU! Put your name in front of people every chance you get. The first of February, I put out a flyer advertising clean-ups, crabgrass prevention, pH adjutment, core aeration, pine needle installation etc. We got a bunch of business from those flyers. I'm hammering them again this week with another flyer.
I've heard that a potential client needs to hear or see your name 27 times before the name recognition thing comes into play. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and sell your brand.
I'm planning a flyer now that is sort of a newsletter. It is going to be full of turfcare tips, and my sales pitch will be somewhat smaller. I'm hoping the recipients will see it as a nice thing for me to do by making the suggestions I make,and when they want someone to help them with their lawn, maybe they will call me. We'll see.

Take care, Bill Craig!

'