Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I said a while back I would post some pics of a hedge trimming/pinestraw job I was doing. I forgot to take pics of that job, but here are some of a job I finished today at a church.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few more, but they won't upload for some reason. But you guys get the idea...before and after.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So how's business holding up for all you SC folks? Been hot enough for ya?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I was curious to see how the econmic strain would affect the industry in our state, but I can honestly say that other than the price of fuel, the customer base has actually grown....I have had a few new clients try to bargain down the price of service, but luckily I was able to maintain my minimum without much hassel....As far as the heat....It seems to get worse every year......

ET
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been absolutely swamped with work for the last month. I've had to turn down new work just because its been so busy lately. The grass growth has really slowed down in the last week since we haven't had as much rain, so I'm finally caught up on mowing at least. As far as the heat, last Friday and Saturday seemed like the worst heat I've ever worked in. It seemed like I couldn't drink enough water to keep up with what I was sweating out.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Saturday wasnt bad for me, Thursday was horrible though. I think I got heat stroke, I've never felt like that before..

But overall, its slower than hell down here. I work fulltime for an enviromental services company, we do landscaping and excavation and we specialize in large properties and maintenance contracts. So far we've lost a couple big bids and havent had much work other than some little landscape work. My biggest week was 24hours if that tells you how busy we are..

As far as my personal company, its really slow.. I've only had a couple jobs this year and I've had to underbid to get them. And there has been no work with the pool companies..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear its slow down your way. I've had some of my good long time customers go ahead with their usual twice a year pinestraw jobs like the one in the pics up at the top of this page. Its strange but I've done pine straw and mulch jobs in the $1000 range and when I'm collecting my money, the customers will tell me that they are out of work. I'm thinking why are they spending so much on landscaping??? As long as the check clears, I don't care I guess.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw2008 View Post
Sorry to hear its slow down your way. I've had some of my good long time customers go ahead with their usual twice a year pinestraw jobs like the one in the pics up at the top of this page. Its strange but I've done pine straw and mulch jobs in the $1000 range and when I'm collecting my money, the customers will tell me that they are out of work. I'm thinking why are they spending so much on landscaping??? As long as the check clears, I don't care I guess.
We had one like that the other day.. Kind of shows where there priorities are. Its like hmm, spend $1k on landscaping or power for the next couple months?

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Completely changing subjects but...have you noticed more yellow jacket nests this year?
I've found 6 or 7 in the last few days, 2 of them in my yard. Last few years I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 each year. No stings yet, but I'm sure I'm going to hit one with the weedeater soon.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw2008 View Post
Completely changing subjects but...have you noticed more yellow jacket nests this year?
I've found 6 or 7 in the last few days, 2 of them in my yard. Last few years I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 each year. No stings yet, but I'm sure I'm going to hit one with the weedeater soon.
I havent seen any. But I've seen alot of snakes and deer. I've never seen this many animals this early in the year. Especially right in the heat of the day when I've been seeing them.

Quote: