Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Flagstone wall / french drain?

I have a commercial customer that long story short needs to keep this grass area free from excess water. The depth of this bed is only like 8-12". It sits on top of a parking garage, but also shares a wall with the basement offices.

During excessive rain, or when this fountain overflows, this grass area recieves too much water, and ends up flooding the basement offices.

she had a proposal to do an 8" tall oklahoma flag chop wall, as to divert the water away from the grass and onto the sidewalk. i dont have much faith that the wall bordering the grass is going to be an effective-long term barrier for water.

my vote is to install 2-3 seperate french drains and just suck all the water out of this area. It has positive drainage to drain down hill, but then again its only 8"-12" deep.

She had a quote for 85' linear ft of 8" tall wall. I figure 2 tons of chopped flagstone, but I don't think the bidding contractor was planning on pouring a footer... thoughts? what can my customers options be?
Attached Images

www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So in the first pic the water is collecting in that grass area between the side walk and the building? Do you have any pitch to work with?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like they need to fix the roof first if its leaking. the rubber membrane is probably torn somewhere.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think wurkin with amish is right about the roof.
Does the area need to stay grass? Could you take it all out, install a drain and then fill the whole area with clean decorative gravel? That would give you some holding capacity when the drain is overwhelmed. Sounds like the grass area is either saturated or not permeable enough to allow drainage.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yes, that grass part between the sidewalk and the building is the problem area. from where i shot the picture, it drains downhill to those shrubs in the distance. enough for a french/gravity drain.

someone just tell me that a wall won't solve their problem to barricade the water. i dont think it will, but i want someone to tell me that. (if its true of course).

I'm just thinking alot of drains.

they wont go for decorative rock. that would cost several thousand dollars, and 26 yard of rock. We put in some rock there a few months ago, and we used some black tejas granite. it was like 400 a ton, or something.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think a wall would be to ostentatious and wouldnt fit in with all that concrete, drains can work but how would it look? i.e. how many drain covers are gonna be in that little bit of grass? have you thought about other options like taking the grass out and making it a raised planting bed with perenials or a ground cover? that may work with the addition of a few drains hidden at the base of the bed just my thought good to you
Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct, I think, that a wall would be pretty much pointless in solving the water problem.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless the wall had a channel drain between it and the sidewalk running the entire length, it would be only partially effective, especially if it were dry stacked, Anyway you look at it, you need to get the excess water out of that area quickly and efficiently, and most likely that will be accomplished using drainage fixtures and pipe. A channel drain between the sidewalk and grass area with an outlet on the low side or better yet, into the existing drainage system would be a simple way to solve this issue.

Kirk
Old 01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams to designs View Post
unless the wall had a channel drain between it and the sidewalk running the entire length, it would be only partially effective, especially if it were dry stacked, anyway you look at it, you need to get the excess water out of that area quickly and efficiently, and most likely that will be accomplished using drainage fixtures and pipe. A channel drain between the sidewalk and grass area with an outlet on the low side or better yet, into the existing drainage system would be a simple way to solve this issue.

Kirk
bingo!!! Thats the solution!!
www.eagle-irrigation.com

Old 01-09-2009, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was just going to agree with Kirk. I have had the same problem in the past and the channel drains work fabulously and blend right in with the side walk.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com