Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2002, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

QB2001 Pro sales taxliability report prob

Sales & liabilities are not showing up for sales tax items we created, such as a capital improvement which is tax exempt.

We've checked the agency the tax item reports to and it is correct.

Also made the tax item 6% while the item sold is checked non-taxable and that didn't work.

Changed an invoice that had a taxable item on it to a zero tax % for an urban enterprise zone and that disappeared from the liability report.

Regular taxable and non-taxable to taxable sales customers plus sales to exempt customers seem to report properly.

When the report first printed our urban enterprise sales tax item was not on the report. After the invoice was altered from regular sales tax of 6% to urban enterprise of 0% the enterprise tax item then appeared on the liability report with zero dollars in sales.

Help! Sounds like a program bug.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about these specific problems, but there could be updates available for the program that you have not downloaded.

They would be available through the program by going to the file menu, then to update Quickbooks. If any updates are available they will be automatically downloaded over the internet.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Real problem is is applying payments on an invoice via my liablities account set up for prepays. When this type of payment is applied right on the invoice yeilding a zero balance, then the tax liability reports a zero sale and that is not what occured. A sale occurred and a payment was made at the same time in the same place.

Any way to record these payments via the liability account so we don't make zero dollar invoices AND have that payment or application transaction match to a particular invoice so that it is satisfied?

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2002, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Applying Payments

Could you explain to me what you mean by applying a prepayment from a liability account? When you take the prepayment, don't you just apply the amount to the customers account? You would then go into the prepayment and apply the invoice that you just wrote to the customer. You do need to do it everytime you invoice that customer until the prepay is used up. I don't know how or why you would apply the prepay on the invoice. Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, but if not, I hope this helped.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not apply a pre payment directly to a customers account. If I did it would give me negative AR balances. If I just wrote up a sale and payment for services to be delivered over a 10-12 month period, I'd throw my sales out of wack because I haven't really done anything yet and I have the liability of performing the services over a long time frame.

What I do is take the customers money and make a cash sale. But instead of invoicing for a regular item I dump the money to pre pay account (liability) becasue I took money for which there was no work done. As work is completed and invoices are made we need to apply payments to the invoices by applying funds in the liability account to an invoice. Sorta like taking money out of the bank to pay a bill. The customers money is technically "on deposit" with us until they need it to pay a bill.

As I posted, doing this on an invoice is making a zero dollar sale which isn't correct. What is my solution?
Old 02-27-2002, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at the Quick Books help section on retainers. In reading that, it appears that is what you are trying to accomplish.

Seems to follow with what you are doing.