Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2002, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

spring clean-ups already?

over the last couple of days, ive noticed a few guys already doing spring cleanups on commercials. i dont service any commercials yet, but what is everybodys ideas on starting earlier this year, particularly in the northeast on cleanups? i usually start third or fourth week of april, but the way this winters been, i could start a lot earlier this year. whats everybody else planning on?
Old 02-26-2002, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have some colder weather forecasted for the weekend possibly even some snowfall. I am planning on starting the second or third week of march weather permitting.

Unless we get some pretty heavy rains, it should be a quick start to the season and then an abrupt stop about June if we dont get some water. I have back up plans in place to pick up where the cutting leaves off if it happens as quick as it looks like.

The good news is that if we do get shut down early for cutting we should be able to make up for it with Renovation services starting late summer. This is also a prime reason for Monthly Agreements.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring

Looks like an early start here. I'm planning on a least a few days next week for equipment prep, clean-ups and a few small odds and ends. I actually saw a crew cleaning up at a condo yesterday. I think we still may see some nasty weather in march, though. Good luck, guys. Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

lets get mowing

I'm Going Nut's
Old 02-26-2002, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
If the weather is good I do all the I can in Feb. We close for Dec. and Jan. so I'm doing things I got snowed out of last Nov.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Start cleanups now and the lawns will look like crap again in a couple weeks once stuff starts blowing around again, and still 8 weeks before the first cut. Plus the ground here in CT is still too soft esp with nothing sprouting yet to hold the soil down...

I will start certain lawns maybe around March 20 or so.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i did a spring cleanup two weeks ago, mowed a lawn last week also. i have put all winter equip away, and got the warm weather equip out. im all ready
Old 02-26-2002, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I finished up my third one so far for the season today, and was a nice day to do it 71 degrees and sunny.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't seem to stop thinking about getting on the lawns, must be in the blood. I'm still driving fuel truck up here in southern NY. I still need to get a new motor for my scag, and trade that piece of &%$@ cub cadet that I bought last year. Any one have a cv22 kohler engine kickin around.

Lakeside Lawn & Landscape
Old 02-27-2002, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing alot of estimating now. I have also been talking with my reg. customers about seeding, sod and clean ups. I see a couple of guys out in late Feb early March every year. Most guys are up and running mid March - Mid April. We start to get really busy in April. We peek (highest amount of business) in April, July and Yes December. In April its last minute clean ups, some mowing and seeding. In July everyone seems to want their bushes trimmed. And in December we wrap up are Final Fall clean ups. Everyone seems to try to beat the city pick up dead lines in December. The money is great but I pull out my hair trying to fit people in. After all theres only so much daylight in the fall.
Travis