Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much do I hate insurance companies? (Rant)

Sorry in advance about my little tantrum rant, heres the story:
Same insurance company, Allstate, for 16 years with ZERO claims and ZERO tickets.
Two years ago, January 27 2007, Some dip$hit kid backed out of a parking space in a private parking lot while I was plowing, I was backing up and he slammed into me. As we were writing up the police report after the accident the kid made it known that he was 'Hurrying to get out of my way', but 'I was NOT in reverse'. That being said, I got the ticket for unsafe backing.
At court, the judge laughed at the ticket and tore it up. My insurance company at the time paid the kid $1300 for full replacement value of the POS car he was driving....
Fast forward to insurance renewal, Allstate raised my rates by $2300.00/ year.
So, I shop around and go with Erie insurance. Prices are great, Agent is great, nothing bad whatsoever about the company....
Today, my wife and I go to my agent to transfer HER insurance policy on HER car from Allstate to Erie. Because of MY fender bender two years ago, HER policy will increase by $100.00/ yr. b/c we are now classified as 'High Risk' drivers. She has a flawless driving record of 14 years. I dont even driver her vehicle.
WTF!!!!!! I'M a high risk driver?? How bad do I want to go find that kid that backed into me and do something I would regret??????
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be Allstate for you. HORRIBLE. Theres a guy in my town driving a truck around with a wrecked Harley in the back. He's flying an upside down Allstate flag and has writing all over his truck, including "Allstate: Proud Sponsor of Brickyard (NASCAR Race), but can't pay their claims! He's also got a youtube address on the truck, although I'm not sure what it says.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate insurance companies too! They are basically ok until you need them. They can really ruin you even if something was not your fault.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
That would be Allstate for you. HORRIBLE. Theres a guy in my town driving a truck around with a wrecked Harley in the back. He's flying an upside down Allstate flag and has writing all over his truck, including "Allstate: Proud Sponsor of Brickyard (NASCAR Race), but can't pay their claims! He's also got a youtube address on the truck, although I'm not sure what it says.
WOW!! That's awesome!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Allstate has a pretty poor rep here in the Midwest.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Allstate and they have been pretty good to me. I've gotten a ticket or two here and there over the past 10 years and my rates have never gone up... Actually they have done nothing but go down. All that being said... I've never been in an accident where I had to make a claim before. I'm sure I might be singing a different tune after that.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm surprised Allstate even paid the claim and didn't drop you right then and there. My Allstate rep (when I had them) told me Allstate wouldn't insure my truck if it was used for plowing and if I did get into an accident while plowing ,coverage would be dropped immediately and any claim not paid.

I dumped them instead.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Erie is a very good company to be with but they are zero tollerance. I had them for 10 yrs when my now ex wife got a ticket out of state it was like a 76 in a 55 the points didnt transfer but Erie got wind of it and since it was more than 20 over they wanted to kick her off the policy. We then switched to State Farm and have been very happy with them for almost 13 yrs now. There is a national reporting system that they go to and can see any claims by putting in your SS number, this also includes your house. If you buy a house and go to get insurance on it they pull a clue report to see if there were any claims, if there were than you could pay higher rates based off of what happened to someone else when they owned it. One way or the other they are going to get you.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

State Farm has been great for me. Reasonable rates and never a problem if I have a claim.
2 mowers
2 trimmers
1 blower
2 gas cans
1 rake
Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem with Allstate. Was with them for 10 years, no claims, no tickets, nothing but paying my premium in full and on time every 6 months. Then they all of a sudden upped my premium by about $150 a month. I called my agent and some girl answered, gave a BS reason. So now I have been with Progressive about 15 months... even had a wreck about 3 months after I switched to them. They paid for everything, even gave me a free rental, and when it came time to renew, they didn't even up my rate because of the wreck... needless to say I couldn't be happier with them so far.