Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
JimLewis's Avatar
JimLewis JimLewis is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 6,561
Fence built within SRW

One challenge I frequently have is a customer wants us to construct a SRW along their property line. Then they also want a fence right on top of the SRW. In the past, I've just told them that wasn't possible and that we needed to construct the fence just inside the wall, and they'd effectively be losing a foot or more of their property.

But I started thinking, there must be some good way to do this without having to make the customer lose part of their property.

I don't like to use Cinder Blocks. I know that's an option. It's just not common around here and I really prefer SRW units over cinder blocks, by far.

So have any of you worked a wood fence INTO an SRW or on top of an SRW before? How'd you do it? Got any photos???
__________________
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon
"kickin' grass and takin' names"


www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
wurkn with amish's Avatar
wurkn with amish wurkn with amish is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in the bathroom
Posts: 663
why not just have Srws as fence posts? put your wood or iron in between.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
gcgrant gcgrant is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Duluth, Georgia
Posts: 1
http://www.geogrid.com/content/view/49/133/

Take a look at this product and see if it will work for you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
mcclureandson mcclureandson is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Columbia South Carolina
Posts: 242
That product looks good but your fence is still set back from the wall face. I think Jim is asking how to avoid losing 12" of setback from the wall face when sleeving for posts.

The only way I know would be to integrate columns into the wall with two-sided block and use those for 'posts' - spaced 6'-8' and spanned with wood panels, hardipanels or decorative iron etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
JimLewis's Avatar
JimLewis JimLewis is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 6,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclureandson View Post
That product looks good but your fence is still set back from the wall face. I think Jim is asking how to avoid losing 12" of setback from the wall face when sleeving for posts.
Exactly. We want to have little or no setback.

Something kinda like this;

.



or this;

.
__________________
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon
"kickin' grass and takin' names"


www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
mrusk mrusk is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: northern jersey
Posts: 3,247
Any ideas above will cost a ton of money.

What I would do is get the property line marked my a surveyor. So you know EXACTLY where the line is. Build the wall on the line or as close to the line as possible. Then put the fence post right against the wall.

What are you loosing 6" tops?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
There are sleeves that can go in, not "in" the block, but right behind the block, in which you may then drop in fence posts. These sleeves are made specifically for the retaining wall industry.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Bru75's Avatar
Bru75 Bru75 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 587
The walls above look to be mortared walls, I don't believe that there is a way to build a fence like that on a SRW wall.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
richallseasons's Avatar
richallseasons richallseasons is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: winsted ct
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru75 View Post
The walls above look to be mortared walls, I don't believe that there is a way to build a fence like that on a SRW wall.
Thats what it looks like to me also, I would probably say that you should not build a fence on an SRW unless it was a small decorative fence say under two feet tall. anything more and say good bye in the wind.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
zedosix's Avatar
zedosix zedosix is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
One challenge I frequently have is a customer wants us to construct a SRW along their property line. Then they also want a fence right on top of the SRW. In the past, I've just told them that wasn't possible and that we needed to construct the fence just inside the wall, and they'd effectively be losing a foot or more of their property.

But I started thinking, there must be some good way to do this without having to make the customer lose part of their property.

I don't like to use Cinder Blocks. I know that's an option. It's just not common around here and I really prefer SRW units over cinder blocks, by far.

So have any of you worked a wood fence INTO an SRW or on top of an SRW before? How'd you do it? Got any photos???

Your biggest challenge is the wind that will blow against it and move the block. We've done them before directly on the wall, but only with aluminum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.09721 seconds with 7 queries