Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

collapsed wall

I just received a phone call from a new customer that had a 15' section of a 10' high retaining wall collapse. He says the wall is about 20-30 yrs. old and was existing when he bought the property. He is going to send me some pics this evening.
I install 98% water features and 2% land/hardscaping. I have built one kind of large wall before with clips and goetextile. Rather enjoyed it, cause we usually build retaining walls/areas with 1-2 ton boulders, instead of using the exact sized block.
Anyways, my questions are, is a section of wall able to be replaced or do I have to tear out a certain amount? Also I mentioned the use of clips/pins, gravel and geo textile to the homeowner. I told him straight up "I" won't stack it back together without the use of clips, geotextile and gravel or it will fail again. For all I know is it might've had these components, won't know til Friday @ 9:00. Did these exist 20-30- yrs ago? He has a patio on top of the area that's being retained, along with alot of plumbing in ground. He says the plumbing is 10'-15' away from the wall thou (thank goodness).Some heads up would be nice.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should talk to an engineer for a wall that size. You will most likely need a building permit, also.
Any wall that size is a complicated build, and my guess is that you will need to start from scratch.
I would be interested to hear more when you get pictures, as most of the old walls that I've seen were not built to today's standards.
Good luck with it.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whats the total length of wall? Pics of course are best. I would GUESS that in order to fix the entire situation may require a complete redo. If its failing there is that the same problem awaiting elsewhere....
Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
Whats the total length of wall? Pics of course are best. I would GUESS that in order to fix the entire situation may require a complete redo. If its failing there is that the same problem awaiting elsewhere....
I agree, definitely would be nice to see some photos of it
Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

well just checked email and no pics yet. I'll get pics myself Fri. morning if homeowner doesn't send them.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

here is the first one I built.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

what are the steps to getting an engineer there? Does he require a fee from the homeowner?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Either the homeowner or from you. They generally start off at $300 and one my friend uses charges $.50 a sqft average. Talk to some hardscapers and builders to get an engineer out here. I would assume they are slow at the moment as we are unfortunately.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was about to do a wall for some one last year, it was about 200 ft long and was a tiered wall, the first section was 6ft high and the other was about 31/2 high, I had my local nusery who i use he also is a designer, he came out and said he knows a enginer since I needed one, If I remember correctly it was about 5gs just for him to come out and tell me how to do it, I also needed the town involved and permits, again don't quote me on the price it was a while ago, but it was high, the job would have been well over 100gs due to location it would have been a nightmare. the homeowner then realized they couldn't afford it. good luck
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some SRW manufacturers have either on staff engineers who will work with you (you will still need approval from a local eng.), or will provide you with the name of an engineer in your area.
Make sure that the one you choose has some familiarity with SRW's.