Register free!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm from Connecticut and any wall over 6 ft. requires a structural engineer design, stamp and a Town permit. Just look in the yellow pages for this type of engineer. The cost will vary because the engineer will need a topographical survey done by a surveyor for elevations. Not only does he design for loads from back material on the wall but possible drainage issues also.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I met with the homeowner today and come to find out it wasn't a srw it was cinder block and brick (about 35 yrs. old). Below it a couple pics. Total 71' L x 7'.5" H along with another wall that is about to collapse around other side of house another 61' L x 7'.5" H. Also 30' L x 3' H more on top area above patio. Nice size job. Homeowner also wants stamped concrete patios along entire back of house and side and upper patio. Anyone in KY area that would like to do the stamped concrete? I don't mess with it. One last thing, I would like to see some different ideas from veterans on putting steps (srw) thru a 7'.5" high wall (About 30" away from house). A straight down walk thru would cut to far back into the retained area. Have some ideas , I'll try and post pics of them.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

here is one idea on steps.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ooooooh that's ugly! Definitely talk to an engineer before going any further.
You might want to consider running the steps parallel to the wall because of their length (7.5' tall divided by 6" rise per step = 15 steps @ 12" tread each = 15 feet length needed). Most likely, you will need to find a way to attach a railing to meet code.
Be very careful pricing this thing, make sure you know all that is going to be involved.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Already spoke with engineers(soil and structual). Before they come to sight I am working on bid to see if HO wants to proceed. And tomorrow ins. adjuster is suppose to show to see if he's covered. Notice the heating/air units in corner, (one was hit) all wiring for units and dish run right thru the wall so contractors for those will also need to be called. Just by going back on this forum about 4 months this project, quessing, is gonna be very very expensive. Keystone and Anchor sales reps met with me today and are getting mat. qoutes ready. Mesa rep is suppose to call me Monday. The only other supplier in my area is Belgard, not talked to them yet.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Engineer will be needed. Also I would recomend whoever does the wall to also do the patio. They kinda go together, and the end result will be alot nicer if they are designed/built together.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

another ???? Do they make a sinlge srw that could be laid and on top of that lay a double face ....(SEE FIRST PHOTO). Or is second photo more realistic? Right now they had a 3' brick wall to prevent someone walking off the edge.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

rockwood reataing wall block 6" classic for the wall and then you can put stone hedge right on top of the wall they will interlock right up. just make sure your engineer knows that your adding a seating wall on top the I would put a row of shrubs and separate the two like you drew if you put a seating wall right on top it can look alittle funnie b/c the wall part steps back and then the seating wall goes straight up. You can knock some tabs off of the rockwood classic 6" and have it sit flush so it would look like the seating wall but again I dont know if your engineer will let you do that. Looks like a fun project I love ones like that.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

XStream I sent you a PM
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thats sure a mess