Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
We are not making any judgements S&MLL... we full well understand how the Kichler points system works for contractors. What MG and I are commenting on is how the AOLP Board of Directors & Executive appears to be "stacked" with Kichler representatives.

I don't see how this could have been misunderstood but Yes, that is correct JS has done a very good job capsulizing my sentiments bringing light to the fact that 3 bd members are Kichler loyal and out of a bd of 6 members that is not a good thing. That's what some would call a stacked deck. I'm not questioning anything regarding them being deserving or not. That has not even entered into this.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

7 board members in total Mike,
C.O.L.D. (Certified Outdoor Lighting Designer)#1112
C.L.V.L.T. (Certified Low Voltage Lighting Technician)#0639
Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as a board member in my second year of service, a nightscaping man, i can only humbly say that you are wrong.
C.O.L.D. (Certified Outdoor Lighting Designer)#1112
C.L.V.L.T. (Certified Low Voltage Lighting Technician)#0639
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are the advantages of joining the aolp?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you may find that some of the members use Kichler including a couple of the board members but that is because Kichler has aggressively promoted the AOLP to contractors and our distributors. In reality this does not benefit Kichler directly but ulitmately we believe it does benefit the industry. All the board members that do use Kichler and who were on our incentive trip were buying Kichler before they even joined the AOLP, so there is no coup being contemplated. Even those on the board who do not use Kichler including Chris and Mathew will tell you that I do not promote Kichler in any of our board meetings, rather quite the opposite I go out of my way to not do so. We need more members across the board and have everyone work toward the benefit of the entire industry which will ultimately help us all.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good points Mike but I would like to add that I support manufacturers and distributors who are members of the AOLP. I try very hard to use their products before I even look at non members but I do occasionally buy from non AOLP members. I STRONGLY believe that contractor members should support those manufacturers and distributors who are looking out for the betterment of the industry by supporting the Association of Outdoor Lighting Professionals.

I might point out that Coppermoon has taken some of us contractors out fishing at no expense and they are also members of the AOLP.

I'm also taking a free trip with California Landscape Lighting supply at the end of the month and they are also members from whom I purchase products manufactured by Kichler, NightScaping, ABT and others.

The main thing here is that I make the required purchases to qualify for these incentive trips just like anyone else.

I just wish all of the AOLP members would take the time and make the effort to support our manufacture and distributor members!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ripsystems, I would love to talk to you about the AOLP so please send me an email and I will give you a call. There are a lot of AOLP threads on this forum so there isn't much sense in going over all of it on this thread which is about another topic.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightScenes View Post
Ripsystems, I would love to talk to you about the AOLP so please send me an email and I will give you a call. There are a lot of AOLP threads on this forum so there isn't much sense in going over all of it on this thread which is about another topic.
Dang Paul! It's R L P. I will get in touch with you about aoip
Old 02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For the record I believe the AOLP has good intentions. But I will also say that there are plenty of other manufacturers, Distributors, and Contractors outside of the AOLP who are for betterment of the industry and who strive to do all they can to grow the industry.

We agree that the AOLP should not have manufacturers on the board because it does send the wrong signal. But That is the AOLP's decision and not being members we have no say no mas! We do wish the association and everyone involved the best of luck!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Aolp

Joey

That is obviously true, and no one said just because a manufacturer, distributor or contractor was not a member of AOLP they did not strive to benefit the industry and we know Unique does that as well as others. The AOLP is just one organization dedicated to furthering the lighting industry, others include IALD, ALA, IESNA, etc. This one just happens to concentrate on outdoor lighting. As for manufacturers being on the board, that decision was made by contractors only a few years ago. Manufactures and distributors had no input into this by-law change. Look at some of the most respected and well organized contractor organizations in the country and most if not all allow manufacturers, distributors and contractors to serve on their boards. The Irrigation Association, PLANET, and almost all the local contractor organizations do. All groups have a lot to add to any organziaton especially when your talking about volunteers, its not always easy to even get people to serve.