Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

WALKER ideas

Between all the snow storms we are having and not seeing any stop in them i've decided to try and polish my wheels on my walker mower .... I dont know if you can or i'm just wasting time doing nothing anywaise but ....

Has anyone tried this before ? and if so what was the out come of it ? look good or crapy ? I just think that it would look sick to pull that shinny yellow walker out of the trailer and have them rims polished up . Let me know what you guys out there think of the idea ... Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it is a good idea. I plan on doing some repainting on mine, maybe starting this week. I don't believe the wheels are powder coated, if they are scratched maybe a light sanding and a fresh coat of paint.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that would be awesome if you kept them shiny. If not I don't know how well dirty chrome would look. I know my wheels don't take long to get dirty. Maybe a good rinsing after every day will keep them some what clean.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawdog if your gunan do painting on yours , I suggest going to your locate hardware store and picking up rustoleum sun burst yellow . thats what i did and it cost my like 15 bucks to make it look brand new again ! easy and cheep and makes a world of difference !!! a little paint make it what it aint . plus customers see your equipment looking they'll like prob hire you over someone that has alot older not soo good looking equipment.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually have a gallon of the original Walker Yellow by du pont. When I do it, you won't be able to tell the difference! Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

has anyone rigged up there walker with lights ? If so what size and where did you locate them ?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I just put the standard light kits on mine. Right behind the seat with a bracket. They do a decent job and are out of the way.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shine the wheels? You mean getting all the old paint off the rims (I can't believe they aren't powder coated) and somehow polishing the bare steel? That's not going to turn into chrome, lol.

I assume you mean clean up the paint on them, yes they look a LOT better when clean wheels. I've been trying to keep the wheels on my new walker clean, even a good cleaning once a month has been working.

So Rustoleum "sunburst yellow" is a close match to Walker yellow? I bought a spray can of yelow from my Walker dealer last winter, for like $18! This stuff is crap! Comes out thinner than water, have to spray a minimum of 4 coats to even cover the primer from showing through, a tiny but too much and most of it just runs off on the floor. Never seen paint like that before, quite a waste of money.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I have used the walker spray cans also. The key is to shake them until your arm goes numb and then still it takes many coats. I have had good results with that paint, but it is expensive. I prefer using my spray gun anyways. But that is real expensive.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog302 View Post
I have used the walker spray cans also. The key is to shake them until your arm goes numb and then still it takes many coats. I have had good results with that paint, but it is expensive. I prefer using my spray gun anyways. But that is real expensive.
Yes, I shook it to death I agree, it's a PITA to apply, but it certinaly did make a hard finish. I suppose because it's so thin it gets into the pores of the steel and really hangs on better than paint that just makes a skin.

I'd like to add the lights too, but I really avoid mowing after dark...

I'm also going to add the Blower Lockout Kit (P/N 6541) to disengage the blower when I'm using the SD/Mulch deck. (Yes, I tried the plug, but after the 3rd use the blower sucked it right thru and into the hopper. It was damaged to the point then that it wouldn't stay in the hole for more than a few seconds before it would get sucked thru again. Darn 10.5" blower)

I've also modded a JRCO dethatcher mount to fit on the front of the deck on my old walker. Haven't mounted it on my new one yet.