Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Telling ya the sun burst will work no problem !!!! i paint my snow plow with it too and its bright and it sticks like glue the first shot !!! its the cheepest way that i have found to do it .

so your saying that that wheels are steel ? i haven't started to do the project just yet ... figured that i would start to do it then if it couldnt be done then i just paint then white again .
Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got done adding lights to all three of my Walkers.

I just got some steel straping 1/4" x 1" and some steel rod 1/4", looked at all the pics I could find (manuals and the internet) and went to it. I used some $10 lights from Harbor Freight.

They are not perfect and it took quite a few hours to build all three, but I have time right now. I also believe they are stronger than what Walker sells.

By the way each one cost less than $20, saved some $$$ (again my time right now is cheap).
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

The walker light bar is rugged, thats for sure. But there is no better satisfaction than a custom modification!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquechev View Post
so your saying that that wheels are steel ? i haven't started to do the project just yet ... figured that i would start to do it then if it couldnt be done then i just paint then white again .
Well they are not aluminium, if that's what you were thinking...

I'd guess you could buy aftermarket rims. I'm sure there's fancy golf carts out there that use the same size and offset of rim that would have them in polished alum. or chrome steel.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sandblast them and repaint them would be the best option it would take you 15 mins to sandblast and maybe 6 hours to paint (mroe than one coat)
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
sandblast them and repaint them would be the best option it would take you 15 mins to sandblast and maybe 6 hours to paint (mroe than one coat)
Bingo! That what I recommend
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquechev View Post
Telling ya the sun burst will work no problem !!!! i paint my snow plow with it too and its bright and it sticks like glue the first shot !!! its the cheepest way that i have found to do it .
Hello, bumping this older thread about painting... I just tried the "sunburst yellow" and also another yellow (that appeared a little darker) in rust-oleum on my older Walker. OMG, not even CLOSE. The only thing they have in common is that they are yellow. No where near the same shade though.

Now I thought "aw, it's not that far off" and proceded to paint the periemeter of the deck and the front yolks... Oh crap, it's John Deere yellow, and looks awful. Now I'm on a quest for a spray can yellow that's closer to Walker yellow. Don't feel right leaving it the way it is now.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Shine the wheels? You mean getting all the old paint off the rims (I can't believe they aren't powder coated) and somehow polishing the bare steel? That's not going to turn into chrome, lol.

I assume you mean clean up the paint on them, yes they look a LOT better when clean wheels. I've been trying to keep the wheels on my new walker clean, even a good cleaning once a month has been working.

So Rustoleum "sunburst yellow" is a close match to Walker yellow? I bought a spray can of yelow from my Walker dealer last winter, for like $18! This stuff is crap! Comes out thinner than water, have to spray a minimum of 4 coats to even cover the primer from showing through, a tiny but too much and most of it just runs off on the floor. Never seen paint like that before, quite a waste of money.
I took the white paint off the wheels and look what was underneath Oh and a pic of my homemade lights.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut Oaks Prez View Post
I took the white paint off the wheels and look what was underneath Oh and a pic of my homemade lights.
Ha Ha Ha... You are hilarious.

I saw a couple of those are the Walker dealker the other day. I think he said the price was $11,500. They were 23hp I thought. Never seen a 28hp walker?

The added foot pegs on the deck are strange to me. I guess for shorter folks they would be in a handy spot, for my long legs I'd have to remove them. Certinaly not the kind of machine I'd let an employee run! I think the chromed out models are perfect for the wealthy homeowner that just has to have the best of everything.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Ha Ha Ha... You are hilarious.

I saw a couple of those are the Walker dealker the other day. I think he said the price was $11,500. They were 23hp I thought. Never seen a 28hp walker?

The added foot pegs on the deck are strange to me. I guess for shorter folks they would be in a handy spot, for my long legs I'd have to remove them. Certinaly not the kind of machine I'd let an employee run! I think the chromed out models are perfect for the wealthy homeowner that just has to have the best of everything.
Yea, those footrest help keep your heels on the rubber pad instead of the chrome. All of them were 28hp but more like 13k, maybe your were 23hp if they were $11,500. Thats the price of a regular 26hp here. Customers that want their gas cut with the Catdaddy has received a 10% increase