Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

koot- Got pics of any of your setups that you have done? Sounds like you have a great dealer relationship, I can't believe they let you re-pallet the materials. Do they reband them or re-wrap them before they sell them again? I try to use stuff I know i can sell, but it doesn't always work out. I would say this year will probably be a good year to wheel and deal with freebies from suppliers to help push their products.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep everything gets shrink wrapped and they come pick it up.
If we get a delivery that spring and it has been shrink wrapped we know where it came from....but who can tell. I will find some pics.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

now, kinda veering off the main topic at hand, but within the subject - there are some logistics to keep in mind when doing home shows.

In our area, there are at least 3 different home or lawn and garden trade shows in the spring, and 1 in the fall.

Ok, well there are contractors that participate in every show. And to me that doesn't make fiscal sense. As some shows are flops. Just because Billy Bob's Great Outdoors is doing a show - doesn't mean you have to. Think it through and do what's going to make you MONEY....not COST you money.

When you do a trade show you need to factor in the fact that you have to pay your crew(s) to set up. In most cases, this takes 1 to 2 days. You then have to pay the crew(s) to tear down, this usually takes 1 day. Now, you've paid for the booth, paid for 3 days of labor, and you've LOST billable field production time. If you were to break down the expenses and compare them to the TRUE profit made on a job generated from a trade show sale - you'll see you probably just barely broke even.

Definitely you wanna do the biggest show that draws the most foot traffic. But, I suggest you think long and hard, and do the math - before you sign up for every show that comes your way.

Something else - Home show traffic has dwindelled over the years. Now, I know many here have had success with home shows.

But....thanks to the internet, people are shopping for home improvement services from the comfort of their homes. It's a FACT that home show and trade show traffic has greatly declined. 10 years ago we used to nearly book 6 months of work from 1 local home show. About 5 years ago our contact list started getting shorter and shorter and the sales grew less and less as each year passed by.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

koot what show are you doing?
my supplier isn't quite as nice but they work with
me. pay up front 50% off and just return material undamaged for
a full refund.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmanlee View Post
James, whatcha got planned for this yr. ?
Lee,
Gonna keep it real simple as usual. Maybe do a fireplace with some stick on veneer stone that Techo just introduced to us at the showcase in Richmond today. Gonna have a little peice of sod in the front corner, I really thought the sod set the booth off, softened it up I guess.

How is buisness for you guys?

James
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. I have a ton of photos from a home and garden show from about a year ago. I hadn't ever done one and was studying up on how other Landscapers and Hardscapers did theirs so I could prepare for mine this year. I probably have a good 30 or more photos of different displays. PM me with your email address and I'll send the photos to you.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-22-2009, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundScapesIncorporated View Post
Lee,
Gonna keep it real simple as usual. Maybe do a fireplace with some stick on veneer stone that Techo just introduced to us at the showcase in Richmond today. Gonna have a little peice of sod in the front corner, I really thought the sod set the booth off, softened it up I guess.

How is buisness for you guys?

James
things have been super slow this month. we finished all our clean ups before Christmas and had a couple of small jobs here and there. I met w/ a landscape architect last week and she has 3 decent size jobs for us to look at. how bout ya'll do you have much going on ? Need any help ?
give me a call sometime
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man i love lawnsite.com i never thought about a donation / loaner type relationship. well incase your budget is along the lines of mine here you are

and i have already be chastised about my construction on my thread so save it

Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Yes. I have a ton of photos from a home and garden show from about a year ago. I hadn't ever done one and was studying up on how other Landscapers and Hardscapers did theirs so I could prepare for mine this year. I probably have a good 30 or more photos of different displays. PM me with your email address and I'll send the photos to you.
I emailed you twice but never got the photos.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

kootoo is that AL BUNDY