Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2009, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Help on plumbing a spray rig!

OK I am trying to plumb a skid sprayer and am having trouble getting enough pressure. I have 1" supply line running from my tank to my pump and 1" line from my pump to my reel. I have a centrifugal pump so of course it isn't going to put out as much pressure as a roller pump. I am wondering if I should increase the size of my supple line coming into the pump to say 1 1/2" so I will make sure and bring in more water to my pump than hopefully I am putting out, I think I may be starving my pump. What do u guys think?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The supply to your hose reel does not generally need to be as large as the supply to your pump. Do you have a line on the discharge side of your pump set up as "bypass"? That is to say any excess(unused by the hose reel) goes back to the tank hopefully in the form of agitation.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of pump? If this is a water transfer pump, those are not made to generate any kind of pressure. The centrifugal pumps I have seen designated for spraying are good for at least 75 PSI and over 20 GPM. At that rate, you should be able to run a boom or Lesco gun. Check your bypass or agitation valve too. If that is set to dump it all before it goes into your reel, there is no pressure. Also important is the hose size on your reel. The pressure loss on hose smaller than 5/8" is tremendous when you are talking about lengths over 50'. My rig has the standard D30 coupled to a 6.5HP engine. Pressure at the end of 200' of 3/8" hose is not 550PSI, but I can go up a 25' tree.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
The supply to your hose reel does not generally need to be as large as the supply to your pump. Do you have a line on the discharge side of your pump set up as "bypass"? That is to say any excess(unused by the hose reel) goes back to the tank hopefully in the form of agitation.
I do have a bypass line. Do you think that if I made my line going to my reel it would increase my pressure?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What kind of pump? If this is a water transfer pump, those are not made to generate any kind of pressure. The centrifugal pumps I have seen designated for spraying are good for at least 75 PSI and over 20 GPM. At that rate, you should be able to run a boom or Lesco gun. Check your bypass or agitation valve too. If that is set to dump it all before it goes into your reel, there is no pressure. Also important is the hose size on your reel. The pressure loss on hose smaller than 5/8" is tremendous when you are talking about lengths over 50'. My rig has the standard D30 coupled to a 6.5HP engine. Pressure at the end of 200' of 3/8" hose is not 550PSI, but I can go up a 25' tree.
Yes it is a transfer pump. I didn't realize that they were less pressure that those for spraying. It was given to me so I can't complain. I can get it to put out about 40 psi, but that is wide open. Would I be better off switching to a roller pump at this point? I can use the same engine and buy a roller pump for about $100.

Brian
Old 01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, a roller pump would be more suited for your purposes. I cannot use roller pumps because what I run through my rig would eat the rollers in no time. You are ok if all you are going to spray is weed control and clear solution fertilizers. I spray too many fungicides and other chemicals that form a gritty suspension.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Yes, a roller pump would be more suited for your purposes. I cannot use roller pumps because what I run through my rig would eat the rollers in no time. You are ok if all you are going to spray is weed control and clear solution fertilizers. I spray too many fungicides and other chemicals that form a gritty suspension.
Would a 3.5hp motor work ok for a roller pump? Most skids that I see for sale have 5 to 5 1/2 hp motors on them.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. Roller pumps have low power requirements.http://www.rittenhouse.ca/content/at...umps_Hypro.pdf A pump for a lawn spray rig would be sufficiently powered by a 3.5HP engine. I doubt you need the pump that passes 50 GPM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for all your help, and the link!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do change to a roller pump, make sure that you have an appropriate reduction (6:1 commonly) from the engine to the roller pump. I use the ones that are powered by the tractor PTO. Too high of a RPM will destroy the rollers quickly. Check that by-pass that it is not too far open as Greendoctor mentioned first.

Last edited by RAlmaroad; 01-17-2009 at 05:24 PM.