Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

looking at a new Dodge 4500/5500 chassic cab

I was not in the market for a new Dodge 4500/5500 until I visited the Dodge website. To my amazement you can get into a Dodge 4x4 4500 quad cab chassis for the price of a Dodge 3500 right now

I think I am going to opt for the 6 speed manual; while the Aisin 6 speed is sweet, and build Heavy Duty, and comes with a 3 years or 130,000 mile warranty. I am going to go against my love of the Automatics for once Gosh I hate shifting, but the idea of not having to ever worry about another transmission, and having that low end ratio & control is weighing heavy now. The worse case would be a new clutch in the future

Going to have a flat bed dump with the gooseneck built into the dump bed.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is the exact setup that I am considering right now. You can't beat the price either.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I would be ordering the Sterling version if you still can. The biggest problem is Dodge dealers usually won't work on anything bigger than a 3500 because they don't have the facilities to handle a truck that can weigh up to 9000lbs or more empty.

The freightliner dealers will work on a Sterling Bullet they won't work on a Dodge. I would rather take a truck to a Freightliner dealer than a Dodge dealer.

The Sterling dealer in B.C. just to give you a idea a 4500 2wd Cab and chassis with a regular cab and 168 wheelbase is selling for 36,000 dollars a comparable 08 Ford the dealer sells both is going for 46,000. You compare that to a 08 F-550 4x4 with a 165 wheelbase diesel is 54,000 for a cab and chassis.

The same dealer has a 5500 Sterling with a 11 foot mason dump truck is 2wd for 50,000.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I would be ordering the Sterling version if you still can. The biggest problem is Dodge dealers usually won't work on anything bigger than a 3500 because they don't have the facilities to handle a truck that can weigh up to 9000lbs or more empty.

The freightliner dealers will work on a Sterling Bullet they won't work on a Dodge. I would rather take a truck to a Freightliner dealer than a Dodge dealer.

The Sterling dealer in B.C. just to give you a idea a 4500 2wd Cab and chassis with a regular cab and 168 wheelbase is selling for 36,000 dollars a comparable 08 Ford the dealer sells both is going for 46,000. You compare that to a 08 F-550 4x4 with a 165 wheelbase diesel is 54,000 for a cab and chassis.

The same dealer has a 5500 Sterling with a 11 foot mason dump truck is 2wd for 50,000.

Were in america!!! Its not the same as in Canada!!!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Sterling Bullet is discontinued, and any warranty work will be absorbed buy Freightliner; which is owned buy Dodge's parent company.

I will be taking into consideration the ability of the Dodge dealer's ability to service these trucks. Memphis has one of the largest Dodge dealers around, and if they cannot service any issues I'm confident they have access to the proper Dealers whom can.

Right now I have to go find one or two to look at, and see what deal I can hammer out.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
I was not in the market for a new Dodge 4500/5500 until I visited the Dodge website. To my amazement you can get into a Dodge 4x4 4500 quad cab chassis for the price of a Dodge 3500 right now

I think I am going to opt for the 6 speed manual; while the Aisin 6 speed is sweet, and build Heavy Duty, and comes with a 3 years or 130,000 mile warranty. I am going to go against my love of the Automatics for once Gosh I hate shifting, but the idea of not having to ever worry about another transmission, and having that low end ratio & control is weighing heavy now. The worse case would be a new clutch in the future

Going to have a flat bed dump with the gooseneck built into the dump bed.
If you see some sweet deals, let us know. I wonder what they are offering for financing?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The biggest problem is the 4500-5500 is considered a commercial truck so most dealers don't work on them. Ford is the only one that works on all sizes of their trucks. If the dealer sells Rangers to F-750s they work on it.

Take for example the GM dealer where I live they can't sell you a 4500-5500 its classed as a commercial truck. You have to go to a GM dealer that sells only commercial trucks. A Freightliner dealer won't work on a Dodge version of the 4500-5500. A Freightliner dealer has far superior mechanics they can repair the trucks better.

Maybe Dodge dealers are better in the USA here in B.C. there is very few dealers that have any clue about diesel trucks. Most dealers are not equiped to repair Cummins powered Dodges. Dealers don't stock any parts for the diesel trucks they have to sub out the work ie send your truck to a place that works on diesels.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs
Why not get the auto if you like it? That's a great warranty, and doesn't the new Aisin auto have manual control like an Allison?
I'm not sure why you don't think you'll have to worry about the manual, there are plenty of parts to break and wear out besides the clutch and they are not as easy and cheap to fix as older trucks. Not sure about Dodge but I've heard that a clutch job on a Ford diesel with the dual mass flywheel is over $1000.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat
Ford is the only one that works on all sizes of their trucks.
Not true, there's only one Ford dealer in my area that will work on my E450 motorhome. Fortunately it's close to me but another dealer whose service department I prefer will not work on anything bigger than a 350 because they don't have the space or equipment.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

We have an 2008 sterling bullet at work as a tow truck it. We had to take it to the dealer about a month ago it cut off and would not start come to find out. No dodge dealer will work on them no sterling dealer ship would work on them and no Cummins dealer would work on it either because they said it was an electrical issue. We had to take it 120 miles up to Richmond on a tow truck to get it worked on. Come to find out it fried all of the electrical componets. The bill was $5,700 and it was out of the 36,000 mile warrentee. I would get a dodge at least you can take it to the dealer and get it worked on locally at least around here you can take them to any of them.