Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Myself I wouldn't buy a Dodge or Sterling 4500-5500 for one Dodge is on the verge of bankruptsy and Sterling is no longer. The trucks have been in the market for a year. There isn't very many of them on the road. The 6.7 doesn't have a flawless record thats for sure. Your really taking a chance on buying one. I would be asking the Dodge dealers in your area if they will work on it before you buy one.

You might be getting a good deal but what happens when the truck breaks down on the side of the road and nobody will touch it.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as "will the dealer work on it or not", you also need to figure, do you really need a 4500/5500 for your line of work? or will a 3500 be just fine? If you need the 4500/5500 then go with that. But if you'd do fine with the 3500, then I'd go that route as most likely any dealer will work on one.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Went and test drove a loaded Dodge 5500 Chassis Quad Cab Laramine 6.7 Cummins with standard jake brake 6 speed manual G56 transmission 188.5wheel Base 4.44 axle ratio.

This is my first test drive with the new 6.7 Cummins, I was not disappointed, but not excited. I was more impressed with the 6 speed manual, and the best in class LOW granny gear their is no 1 on the stick just an L, the emission laden 6.7 is very strong. With that said the 4500 will still be a better work truck for ME, and with some aftermarket modifications to the engine you can extract more hp/torque. The ride was not really that bad, the truck sits very high, and needs some type of steps to get in & out of the cab more easily. My overall impression is the cab exterior & interior, is an improvement on my 02, in that it's an updated design. Driving the 5500 I felt It was all business for towing & hauling, and a improvement over my 02 2500 for that. The 6.7 does feel it's being held back tremendously that is obviously due to the EPA emission. Considering the size of the 5500 though it's not lacking power or Torque. The Jack Brake works flawless, and with the 6 G56 speed manual you have the ultimate tow rig & control stopping's that load.

Here's the numbers I have right now on The truck I want Chassis Quad Cab 2008 Dodge 4500 SLT 188.5 WB, 6.7 Cummins, Standard Jake Brake, 6 speed G56 manual with best in class low granny gear, PTO take off ready. Cloth 40/20/40 split bench seat, optional black vinly floor is more expensive than cloth, but I got it. 4.44 axle Ratio. 52 gallon rear fuel tank

$31,900 out the door with 0% financing, If i take higher % rate will take more off truck price.

Also the bed option will be financed into the loan, I am looking at a flat bed PTO hydraulic dump with gooseneck option/ Linex coated running $2500

$31,900 PLUS 2500= $34,400 TOTAL

Also right now their is a limited supply of low mile used diesel trucks according to the salesman so my 02 Cummins with 79,795 miles will fetch me $22,500 trade in. now seems to be a good time to dump a Used diesel. Most folks are wanting the non- emission diesels no matter the brand. So their is your answer for the "does a diesel maintain or hold it's value"
Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
Went and test drove a loaded Dodge 5500 Chassis Quad Cab Laramine 6.7 Cummins with standard jake brake 6 speed manual G56 transmission 188.5wheel Base 4.44 axle ratio.

This is my first test drive with the new 6.7 Cummins, I was not disappointed, but not excited. I was more impressed with the 6 speed manual, and the best in class LOW granny gear their is no 1 on the stick just an L, the emission laden 6.7 is very strong. With that said the 4500 will still be a better work truck for ME, and with some aftermarket modifications to the engine you can extract more hp/torque. The ride was not really that bad, the truck sits very high, and needs some type of steps to get in & out of the cab more easily. My overall impression is the cab exterior & interior, is an improvement on my 02, in that it's an updated design. Driving the 5500 I felt It was all business for towing & hauling, and a improvement over my 02 2500 for that. The 6.7 does feel it's being held back tremendously that is obviously due to the EPA emission. Considering the size of the 5500 though it's not lacking power or Torque. The Jack Brake works flawless, and with the 6 G56 speed manual you have the ultimate tow rig & control stopping's that load.

Here's the numbers I have right now on The truck I want Chassis Quad Cab 2008 Dodge 4500 SLT 188.5 WB, 6.7 Cummins, Standard Jake Brake, 6 speed G56 manual with best in class low granny gear, PTO take off ready. Cloth 40/20/40 split bench seat, optional black vinly floor is more expensive than cloth, but I got it. 4.44 axle Ratio. 52 gallon rear fuel tank

$31,900 out the door with 0% financing, If i take higher % rate will take more off truck price.

Also the bed option will be financed into the loan, I am looking at a flat bed PTO hydraulic dump with gooseneck option/ Linex coated running $2500

$31,900 PLUS 2500= $34,400 TOTAL

Also right now their is a limited supply of low mile used diesel trucks according to the salesman so my 02 Cummins with 79,795 miles will fetch me $22,500 trade in. now seems to be a good time to dump a Used diesel. Most folks are wanting the non- emission diesels no matter the brand. So their is your answer for the "does a diesel maintain or hold it's value"
22500 on your 02?? BS!!! Theyre telling me 19k on my 07 duramax crew cab! with 39k!!! What the crap...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You sure you didnt mistype that and mean 12500? That sounds more right than 22k..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Amazing how Dodge has to say best in class 6spd to sell their cheap junk the 6spd in the Ford is simillar rated for a 26,000lb gvw truck and its PTO ready I have a PTO on my 6spd.

As for the salesmen telling you your going to get 22,000 for your 02 Dodge is a real laugh he is lying right to your face just to make a sale. Once they have you roped in they will find some excuse oh your truck is only worth 15 grand. You drop your drawers you might get a favor. Dodge sales people are so desparate to make a sale.

What is the cab axle measurement on the truck your looking at. If you are only putting a 9 foot bed on the truck your wasting the capacity of the truck you might aswell buy a 3500. On a 4500-5500 it should be minimum 11 foot bed so you can get some weight on it.

If you are getting a dump bed installed for 2500 its gotta be a cheap POS the first load you dump it twists and bends. A 12 foot dumping steel flatbed here costs 9 grand. The bed is tough and out last the truck. The deck I built for my truck will out last the truck. The steel alone was 2000 dollars that didn't include my hours of fabricating and boxes of welding rod.

Dodge has to be very desparate to sell trucks a cab and chassis for 31,000. The Mexicans worked hard to build a american citizen a truck just think this truck took jobs away from the USA

Anyhow if you figure you can swing the deal go for it but the Dealer is pulling the wool over your eyes before getting screwed probaby got a big neon sign in their lunch room that lights up when the showroom door opens it says "Sucker Alert". Did you ask the dealer if they will work on the truck ?

If your driving a cab and chassis around its going to feel alot different when you get the truck with the body on it. The ride will be smoother and it will have less power.

Big difference once the truck is complete with a bed it will weigh 9000lbs or more what does your 2500 weigh 6500lbs at most. You never driven a truck with 19.5 tires so we will be hearing you complain how expensive they are and they ride rough. No you can't air down 19.5 tires to ride smoother.

Dodge constructed the rear suspension on the 4500-5500s in a poorly you notice the rear springs have very little arc to them. Notice the overload springs are really short more stupid design. When you put a load on a 4500-5500 the truck will really squat because the rear springs are not arc'ed. When the load is applied to the overload springs they are so short they don't provide any stability. You will have to add timbrens to keep the truck from squating.

Its up to you, your money buy a un-proven truck with very few on the road. Just because its Cummins power if you want that buy a medium duty that is proven with 6.7 Cummins power.

I buy Fords for one reason the truck is proven through out all industries. The equipment dealers use pretty much all Ford for F-450 550 service trucks loaded to max gvw 365 days a year.

If you want a Cummins so bad buy a 6.7 and sleep with it

I looked at a 5500 Bullet I wasn't impressed especially with the springs and spring hangers. Cheaply constructed and as Dodge fashion poor spring design.

I think you better get you mind off your Cummins and snap into reality. Like I said its upto you spend the 35,000 or so and find out this truck is a POS.

Up to you

Have you owned a truck bigger than a P/U

I have been driving a 15,000 gvw trucks as a daily driver for almost 10 years now.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No plugs I have a quick question. Who is the picture of in your avatar? Also another small but off topic question. What does LCO stand for? thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunscaper View Post
No plugs I have a quick question. Who is the picture of in your avatar? Also another small but off topic question. What does LCO stand for? thanks.
I am curious of the pic, and LCO stands for landscaper..

I am guessing the pic has something to do with a diesel, Rudolph Diesel or whatshis face Cummins..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know how to work a car or truck salesman, and they can manipulate the numbers how ever they want on these vehicles to sell them. I went through the trade in BS, with this same dealer whom sells VW, I bought my wife a new 2007 Jetta 2.5 we traded in a 1997 Olds min-van 197,455 total POS. We needed to get $8700 for the trade in to get the new note right. Guess what the dealer changed some numbers on the invoice and we got our $8700 trade in. You have to bust their balls, beat them at their own game. I have walked out right in the middle of many a car & truck deal with the salesman in mid sentence, ignored their calls for half a day, by then their ready to talk "real numbers".

The salesman asked me two things today about my trade in, is my truck under 100,000 miles, and does it shift into gear. if Yes we can work

All car & truck sales are down period no one is exempt from selling low, Were in the middle of a once in a lifetime economic state, if you have good credit, and a job/income you can just about name your price's here in Memphis, Tn.

The quad chassis cab takes much of the 188.5 truck length, Chill out GR, "baby steps" for some of us. This 4500 will serve my next growth cycle well, and is more than enough truck for my business. The flatbed/dump length I don't have it will be the longest I can put on the truck, and will be plenty for what I need. I mainly will be hauling mulch/ lawn & landscape debris,

To address the poor Dodge 4500/5500? this dealer sells 5-10 at a time for fleet companies, and the Dodge dealer does service all the trucks needs on site. The bed will be installed off site buy the vendor I choose.

Really I enjoy reading all of the responses on these Dodge 4500's just like all of the other threads I post I seem to just go against the grain on Lawnsite. I spend some time going over both the Ford & Dodge 5500/4500, and they both have parts made in Mexico all over them. The quality gap is closed on these trucks now. It all comes down to brand choice, and the money your willing to sell out. Honestly both the Dodge & Ford products undercarriage's look similar, so either Dodge finally got it right, or Ford is getting cheaper.

Thanks for all the responses
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im going to need that dealers name then. I will make the drive for that kind of a deal. I just need a 3/4 ton. Its still souns fishy. That 4500 sticker has to be 50k+. And youre saying theyre comin off 20k and cushioning your trade in price by at least 10k?? It doesnt add up. Hopefully you will show us the paper work.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com