Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
jimmy1111 jimmy1111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: philadlephia, pa
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIV View Post
From what I have read, he has installed a loop system where the run makes a complete loop back to the transformer. As long as he keeps polarity the same, this should work. Thank goodness somebody understands...BTW I Loop installations in my other house and been running fine for 7 years...From what I have read, you are essentially stepping up to the next size wire. From 12 to 10, not 8 gauge...where can i get this information ?...In my test my VD READIN is less than having an 8 AWG...not sure if you saw my VD above they are still 0.2 V LESS than having an 8AWG.

I have never installed using this method but the professor on another forum lives by this...Burt can you type in the link to that other forum..i like to talk to that "Professor"... BTW is he really Professor ? Lollipop is where you loop back to the first fixture and not back to the transformer. The loop method does work, but you have to cut the mainline every time you need to wire in a fixture unless you use pierce points, and lets not go there. I think i have these pierce points if you mean connectors that clip on the outside of the cable without cutting it I beleive i got them from Kichler7 years ago....are they bad ? Way too many connections for me.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting
I think I should have drawn this darn Loop to make it easier for everyone too what I'm referring to...my fault...ended up with lolipops and daisy chains...geeshh..what else is left!!!LOL
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Chris J Chris J is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maldive Islands
Posts: 2,070
Jimmy, I don't hate you. And no, those connectors are not bad. I've got thousands of them I'll sell to you really, really cheap if you want more.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
jimmy1111 jimmy1111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: philadlephia, pa
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Jimmy, I don't hate you. And no, those connectors are not bad. I've got thousands of them I'll sell to you really, really cheap if you want more.
Now that you want to sell me these connectors we are friends HUH !!!..Just kidding.....At least you didn't call me "some fish" like Mark did without even understanding what is a Loop Installation....
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
MarkOlex MarkOlex is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1111 View Post
Now that you want to sell me these connectors we are friends HUH !!!..Just kidding.....At least you didn't call me "some fish" like Mark did without even understanding what is a Loop Installation....
I know what a loop is and as Sam said there is a guy in PA who swears by it. I guess if you are building a WAN for the government there would be a reason to have redundancy but this is lighting not NORAD. I never called you a fish I said it would be easier to teach a fish to breathe. So please accept my deepest apology for the misunderstanding. A "fish" is the guy who sits at the poker table with me and I take all his money. So if you play poker you could be a "fish". See you in Atlantic City Saturday.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 PM
SamIV SamIV is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern LA
Posts: 325
lowvolt.org and do a search - Loop wiring. And yes most of us if not all here are not big fans of pierce points, but to each his own.

Burt
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
JoeyD's Avatar
JoeyD JoeyD is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 2,965
The Lollipop it is! I will leave the lollipops to the candy store and kids!! I work with more effecient means of wiring methods! But you know the old saying....what ever floats yer boat!!
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 PM
jimmy1111 jimmy1111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: philadlephia, pa
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIV View Post
lowvolt.org and do a search - Loop wiring. And yes most of us if not all here are not big fans of pierce points, but to each his own.

Burt
Thanks Burt that's an interesting site..is Mike that "Professor" ?? He seem to have a lot of technical data under his belt.

Did you test a VD on a Loop Run in the past and got these crazy low VD's or it's only me who is blessed ???
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 PM
jimmy1111 jimmy1111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: philadlephia, pa
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
The Lollipop it is! I will leave the lollipops to the candy store and kids!! I work with more effecient means of wiring methods! But you know the old saying....what ever floats yer boat!!
LOL...you still call my Loop Runs lolipops !!! eventhough they are looping back to the Trans not the first Fixture...

Think VD is the BASE!!...the lesser VD you get the better your runs are configured .... especially when each leg of the Loop is used to light up about half of your fixtures...and not just thrown there to be there.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 PM
tonyGub tonyGub is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1111 View Post
LOL...you still call my Loop Runs lolipops !!! eventhough they are looping back to the Trans not the first Fixture...

Think VD is the BASE!!...the lesser VD you get the better your runs are configured .... especially when each leg of the Loop is used to light up about half of your fixtures...and not just thrown there to be there.
Blah blah blah blah blahBS. Are you really mike from lowvolt.org putting a shameless plug on this website; to draw attention to your website? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 AM
jimmy1111 jimmy1111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: philadlephia, pa
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyGub View Post
Blah blah blah blah blahBS. Are you really mike from lowvolt.org putting a shameless plug on this website; to draw attention to your website? Just wondering.
LOL...and why do I do that....to sell more Loops ??...I just read one forum for Mike there...and he seems to have lot of technical information that some flew over my head about his stranded versus solid wires idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
landscape lighting , transformer , vista

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.10353 seconds with 8 queries