Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which Engine Option

Which engine option would you go with and why 35hp Vanguard or a Kawasaki 27lc.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopperslawn View Post
Which engine option would you go with and why 35hp Vanguard or a Kawasaki 27lc.
Go with the Kawasaki, I always had problems with the Vangaurd after two seasons or so I guess its what works for me and Kawasaki has always been good.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, I've seen too many Briggs motors fail in the last 10 years to suggest one to anybody. I'd go with the Kawi.

I feel Briggs has gone way down hill with their motors, and might go the way of Tecumseh if they don't change their ways.

I think the only thing that keeps them in business is that they make generators now, and I know they own Simplicity now also.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the Vanguard. I've heard good things about them from folks around here who have run them. Of course, it will probably burn more fuel than the Kawi l/c. What size mower are you talking about? That makes a little difference too. Do you need 35hp? Will 27hp lug down often? If you use a bagger or mulch leaves a lot, the extra power is very handy.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends on your application, I have heard nothing but good about the 35hp VG big block it's "the poor mans diesel" The only advantage to 27hp Kawsaki has is Liquid cooling; however in a harsh mowing application the 27hp would be underpowered, and can overheat. Where the 35HP VG would just power through. Look at the hp/torque numbers this is not even apples to apples.

When its gas vs gas "their is no replacement for displacement"
Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run a 27 LC Kawi with a 61" deck rarely bogs down. Plenty of power if you mow lawns that are kept up.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
It all depends on your application, I have heard nothing but good about the 35hp VG big block it's "the poor mans diesel" The only advantage to 27hp Kawsaki has is Liquid cooling; however in a harsh mowing application the 27hp would be underpowered, and can overheat. Where the 35HP VG would just power through. Look at the hp/torque numbers this is not even apples to apples.

When its gas vs gas "their is no replacement for displacement"

Yea, I never had any issues bogging down with a 27hp Kawi, if you do you need to reevaluate your methods.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyo View Post
Yea, I never had any issues bogging down with a 27hp Kawi, if you do you need to reevaluate your methods.
So are you saying a 35hp big block is weaker than a 27hp LC kawaski. What deck size are you running with a 27hp Kawaski. If the 27hp Kawaski was the end all of engine choice's, their would be no other options. It's torque that does work not liquid cooling, 27hp is moderate power, that has the advantage of liquid cooling for longer life, and extended oil change intervals vs a/C.

27hp never bog down? I'm sure their are many folks beside's myself that could, and have found situation that are different, No matter the brand ZTR 27HP is midship/moderate power. Add liquid cooling to the 27hp you have stamina/long life, not a real advantage over the 35hp big block. Their are many lawnsite members who argee the 35hp big block has more torque vs the 27hp Kawaski.

This goes back to the debate how much HP/torque do you need, and how much do you want, and can afford. Do you want more HP/Torque or less hp/torque, but liquid cooling. Each engine has it's pro's & con's it's more application, brand loyalty, engine likes & dislikes.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Briggs makes economical engines, Kawasaki is more high performance,
they are both good products for the money.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't put words in my mouth please. I don't mow the wet heavy stuff, I don't mow high wet turf, and I won't mow your field either. No I never had issues bogging down, never, I mow fescue, bluegrass and perennial rye. Who said Kawi was an end all of all engines? No ones debating hp or t I answered his question, like I said I had problems with the Vangaurd, I have one on the shelf right now so my choice for my application is the Kawi, cheaper, does the job, burns less fuel, probably not necessary for his application but only he can answer that. None of the companies here use that much power just not practical.

Last edited by daveyo; 01-24-2009 at 05:26 PM.