Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
This is the sort of slope/property Im thinking breaks would be perfect for, if not a little steeper.
I could not imagine walking behind a mower doing something like this.
This is a good picture The ZTR can easily mow this hill the brakes would HELP at the bottom to prevent a slide into the street or a tree
Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

SOrry I thought the pic would come through
Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I. View Post
First off I don't think that brakes on tires with no tread is going to be any more effective than your drive tires (the big ones in the back that have tread). Next brakes attached to tires that have no direction control.... hmmm... How many of you guys on here have had to replace a caster? What if you had to replace a caster with this brake on it? How about when your mowing under/around some bushes and the pedal gets pushed down or one of the hoses is pulled off? What about if you are in one of the situations where your heading directly downhill and decide that it is time to use the brake, the front wheels hit a dry spot and the mower comes over from behind you? or you hit the brakes and they work, but with the forward momentum on your body you push your control levers forward?

IMO the best thing to do is leave these front brakes off the machines. Train and educate yourself and other operators the correct and safe way to operate equipment, know the limitations and don't try to push them. Hell the next thing you know they will be trying to make airbags for ZTRs.
You should just stay home life is just to dangerous for you. Just think 20 years ago people said the same thing about car seats for kids.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
First off I don't think that brakes on tires with no tread is going to be any more effective than your drive tires (the big ones in the back that have tread). Next brakes attached to tires that have no direction control.... hmmm... How many of you guys on here have had to replace a caster? What if you had to replace a caster with this brake on it? How about when your mowing under/around some bushes and the pedal gets pushed down or one of the hoses is pulled off? What about if you are in one of the situations where your heading directly downhill and decide that it is time to use the brake, the front wheels hit a dry spot and the mower comes over from behind you? or you hit the brakes and they work, but with the forward momentum on your body you push your control levers forward?

IMO the best thing to do is leave these front brakes off the machines. Train and educate yourself and other operators the correct and safe way to operate equipment, know the limitations and don't try to push them. Hell the next thing you know they will be trying to make airbags for ZTRs.
I think the next step would be abs front and rear!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm just mowing my own lawn, but I have a hill that I only mow part of with the ZTR . I'd like to mow more, and feel sure I could with these brakes. I would mow slowly, and in control (wouldn't try it wet). I am concerned about the hoses, and spindle strength, but otherwise love this system!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Unless you drop the front wheels into a depression that is low enough to stop all forward movement then you might flip. But understand this, the system is not intended as a license to take on more dangerous terrain. It is intended to be used in the event that you start to slide down a hill that is within your limitations. As for the concern about the exposed hoses, this is a prototype! Ted said that this is just a proof of concept unit that he built for testing. He said the final design will have the hoses protected and routed where they cant catch on anything.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Ted, nice wheelies on that Bad Boy!! That mower looked incredibly fast, almost jumping the hill at one point. What model is that and whats the rated speed?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is no way you are flipping a zero turn mower over the front I dont care how good the brakes are. I cant wait for this to be an option on a zero turn not for everyone but I would live them I slide all day. And eversince I seen this video I wish I had them at every yard I have
Old 08-07-2009, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Tried my hill. I was able to do a good section of it, just going as slow as I could. It is a short slope, and at the bottom I have no hazards, just the neighbors lawn. Still would love to have brakes!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Ted Brakes has gone Disc . . .

We just posted some sneak peek pictures of the disc brake design on a new thread to get your input. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285970

We will have new photos with them mounted and videos on the testing very soon.

Check out the link for the new thread. . .

Ted Corriher

Tags
bad boy mowers , front brakes , safety , zero turn mowers