Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

safty front brakes

scagguy I think you said it all. If it saves your ass just once itwould be worth it for me.You asked how much would it cost? After a manufacturer fits the three main compoents a master cylinder and two slave cylinders or hydralic calipers on disc brakes the production cost will be less than 60.00 dollars per unit.Is this worth saving a life or what!I will be answering outer post tomorrow and will be filming a few videos to answer all of your questions and Yes I will install a roll bar and a seat belt before the next test ride Ted Corriher
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a GREAT idea. For those of you that mentioned it's the "operators" that get themselves into trouble (true) or "knowing the limitations" of your mowers (also true) I can see how this can help in both instances. It's the difference between a careless employee possibly saving their own life (and your mowers) and also expanding the capabilities of your existing mower making it more efficient........i.e......more money in your pocket being able to mow areas you couldn't before.

My only comment on design would be to reconfigure the way the hydraulic hoses enter the front spindle. It will easily get caught on low branches or knocked loading, unloading, etc... I'm thinking adding a 90 degree fitting on top or incorporating it into the side of the spindle housing would be a great addition. I think what you all need to take away from this is that this is an enhancement that can not only create a safer mower (whatever your brand loyality is) but increase productivity and put more money in your pocket!! Entrepreneurial spirit, gotta love it Well done.

I know I'll get flamed for this but what the hell. I'll go out on a limb that the individuals that have posted and are slamming this design (or calling it worthless/not needed, etc...) would fall under the "old dog, new tricks" category. I would venture a guess this may become a standard feature on most brands within a few years. It's also ironic that they put this on a Bad Boy which for many of you is also "tainted" because of the disbelief a mower can be overbuilt and reasonably priced. If this design doesn't become standard, I'm sure you will see a knockoff of some sort. Food for thought, just open your minds a bit.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you are dumb to go that fast down a hill with a 500 foot cliff on the buttom ,you will forget the brake ......
Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
never really realized there was a need, but after thinking about it, i guess there would be. the only problem I have with it is this (and please remember, I am not a physicist or an engineer by any means): consider a ZTR traveling downhill forwards. you slow the front down but not the back. all of the weight and momentum from the rear (which is a LOT) wants to continue to move, and by slowing the front wheels you are turning them into a hinge of sorts. think of a car, when you slam on the brakes, all of the momentum and weight is transferred forward, it nosedives and the rear end pops up. I think this could create a potential for a very unstable mower. would work great if you were going backwards downhill, but how often is that? I think its a great safety feature, but I think it would be better suited on the rear wheels. perhaps adapt a simple drum brake system that is found on many automobiles, and rather than use a complex hydraulic system, just use a simple, variable lever action system much like an emergency brake in a car. you need to stop the weight, not whats in front of it.

DISCLAIMER: i am not an engineer or physicist by any means, nor am i knocking this guys design at all, and I think it could be developed into a great safety system.

how about 4 wheel brakes? off one foot pedal

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 01-23-2009, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great Idea
Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is a good idea as well. Maybe add an adjustment that allows the brake to be only 80%-90% effective at full force. That would prevent the casters from acting as a hinge like another poster said.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted corriher View Post
scagguy I think you said it all. If it saves your ass just once itwould be worth it for me.You asked how much would it cost? After a manufacturer fits the three main compoents a master cylinder and two slave cylinders or hydralic calipers on disc brakes the production cost will be less than 60.00 dollars per unit.Is this worth saving a life or what!I will be answering outer post tomorrow and will be filming a few videos to answer all of your questions and Yes I will install a roll bar and a seat belt before the next test ride Ted Corriher
Ted, Make up a set for a Lazer Z HP. Pm me after you get 10 posts. (It takes 10 days after you join here to pm anyone.) I'll give you my CCinfo and we'll put one unit on and give it a real test. I have a 6 acre estate on Lake Travis that has wrought fence 3 feet past a sidewalk on a 20 degreee slope. Then we have the lake bordering the back half of the property. Should be fun.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

screw the front brakes, give me a 4x4 mower!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haggerty View Post
Only thing I'd like to see is individual pedals for each wheel. So you could drag one brake to help you mow across the slope instead of always having to go up & down.
You read my mind! But how about 4 wheel brakes with separate pedals for left and right?!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a 90 degree fitting on the top and keep the hoses out of branches harm.

I love the idea.

Do you drill out the caster stem? Or are some hollow? Lets have some close up pics of the workings.

Do they work as a parking brake as well? Would help moving around the trailer during transport.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 2-FOR SALE!
Solo since 1980

Tags
bad boy mowers , front brakes , safety , zero turn mowers