Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the Advertising Pro's

Its time for spring ads soon. Looking at what didn't work last year and looking to try some new things. I can handle up to 60 new clients, more if they come.

Trucks are all lettered Trailers Done, Uniforms, Letterhead, Monthly billing. Were doing all that. A referral program is already in place as well.

Budget is up to $20.000.
--Now I havent done Direct mail yet and that's something I wanted to try. We are looking at doing 15.000. Full color front back.
--And also looking at taking credit card/online payments.
--Also going to be doing a door to door greet and meet.

The newspaper never works.
Phone book.......eHHH...not the best

This is my question. For anyone that has done a successful ad campaign in the North East share something I am missing or please share hints on how to execute it.

Thanks In advance for everyone reading and posting.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you pretty much have all bases covered and know what works and doesn't work. Good luck in the upcoming season.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump......
Old 01-24-2009, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How big is the population around you? My self doorhangers have worked well in the past. As long as they are designed by a professional and look first class. Last year I past out about 1500 and received about 20 mowing clients. This Feb/Mar my wife and myself will be relocating to Tn. where I plan on doing 20000 post card. I have my own bulk mail permit which cost me 360.00 . The post cards will be 750.00 for 20000 5.5* 8.8 Postage will be somewhere around $3000.00. I hope to gain 75-120 mowing clients and about 25-50 landscape jobs from. I am still waiting on my design work to come back.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

kyfireman,
Thanks for your response. Just a few questions on your post cards you'll be doing. Are you doing a mailing list or saturation mailing? I have been looking around for a company just to take care of it all. I have a very specific list of who I would like my cards sent to so saturation mailing wouldn't work. We are planning on doing as many door hangers as possible. I am not sure about how your area is but our area the lots are typically .33 acre and larger, most are .5 acre +.
What I am getting at is that door hangers and face to face time does work, but very slow and sometimes not the safest idea due to long private drives and such.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DUDE ON THE CORNER WITH A SIGN
works for furniture closeouts why not landscaping.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

saturation mailing.........The area I am hitting has a avg household income of $120,000.
I bought a mailing route map off line a couple of days ago. I also have a delivery statistics finance number summary .....basically it tells you how many home owners, businesses, central boxes you have per route. You can ask for this at the bulk mail office. They don't provide you a map......at least the bulk mail office i used didn't. Also I don't have to a have a list......all my post cards are going to rural routes even though they are in a city. If they only have city routes you have to have a addresses that follows the mailman's route. I was really lucky.........my postage is only .137 per piece.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfireman2004 View Post
saturation mailing.........The area I am hitting has a avg household income of $120,000.
I bought a mailing route map off line a couple of days ago. I also have a delivery statistics finance number summary .....basically it tells you how many home owners, businesses, central boxes you have per route. You can ask for this at the bulk mail office. They don't provide you a map......at least the bulk mail office i used didn't. Also I don't have to a have a list......all my post cards are going to rural routes even though they are in a city. If they only have city routes you have to have a addresses that follows the mailman's route. I was really lucky.........my postage is only .137 per piece.

Yeah the postage I am looking at is $.19-.22, I dont mind the rates. I did the numbers on what it would take me to go door to door and its frankly cheaper to send postcards. I also feel it gives a more professional appearance.

I just feel as if I am at a standstill and the growth has slowed down, which is a bit frustrating. I know times are getting hard and am looking for new ways or something that I may be over looking. Just trying to get a solid advertising conversation going on with some guys who have spent the money. And experienced the response rates and not just reiterating the same old 1-2% without ever doing anything like this themselves. (I say that as respectfully as one could)
Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whens everyone thinking they will be heading out or starting there mail outs this year? Im thinking of starting alittle ealier this year to get a leg up on some of the other companies around here. Im thinking I'll start putting out flyers in 2-3 weeks (mid-late Feb, 2-3 weeks ealier then the last few years). I had 2,000 business card magnets made up as well as 2,000 brochures to go along with my 3,000 flyers for the first round of ads this year, Not sure what I'll do for round 2 yet. I'll think I'll wait until the mid-late april to see how well the first round went.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would do a tri-fold direct mailer instead of a postcard. Send out like 2x sets of 8,000 to the same adresses, better return on them