Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2000, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As an OPE dealer and service center for both homeowner and commercial, what do you like and dislike most about your dealer/service center? <br>What could or should they do to be able to serve you better?
Old 07-10-2000, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I would really like to see would be service departments open on Saturdays. Also would be nice for the dealership to stay open longer in the summer. Really hate it when you need something at 6 pm and the dealer closed at 5.<p>The best dealership I ever dealt with was a John Deere outfit when I farmed. During spring and fall they'd stay open until dark 7 days a week. Mechanics on call 7 days a week. With service trucks to do field calls. Granted they were working on $150,000 tractors and combines not a $6,000 dollar mower. But it was nice.
Old 07-10-2000, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree, being open on Sat. and even part of the day Sun. would be the number one thing. I can see not being open on Sunday, but Sat., I work Sat. or if not that would be the day I brought in my mower. I would drive a lot farther and pay a little more for that kind of service.
Old 07-10-2000, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

A little off the topic but what i really hate is when i need to do mulching on sat and i got to the damn mulch yard and they close at 12.
Old 07-10-2000, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What I like (the one I use): Commercial operator repairs are done immediately, bumping residential customers. And they ensure they always have a complete line of replacement parts for what they sell. After hours service as long as someone calls ahead and says they are stopping by at xx.00 p.m. with a down machine.<p>What I dont like (the shop I tried once and didnt return) not having something as simple as a deck belt in stock then telling me its a week to get one. Sorry bub, look at this face cuz you aint seeing it in here no more.<p>Bill
Old 07-10-2000, 06:44 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
The last piece of equipment I bought new from my local OPE dealer was over 5 years ago.<p>I have cut this moron completly out of my world. This guy has sold lots of machines in the past (I bought 2 new mid size wb's from him) but he does not stock ANY on the most needed replacement parts for the machines I have purchased. <p>I have taken control of my replacement parts needs by stocking about $400 of most needed parts + an extra transmission in house.<p>I now deal with a toro and exmark dealer from NH that has a commercial parts division<br>and carries common replacment parts for ALL<br>types of commercial walk behinds.<p>If you order $150 or more freight is free.
Old 07-10-2000, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Jeff,<br>My current shop/dealer has a commercial first policy as well as a half hour trailer fix agreement which means if he can't get it fixed in a half hour from when you pull your trailer in he will let you use a loaner for nothing until yours is fixed. <br>I know this is not possible for all shops so I feel lucky.<br>The thing that has bothered me in the past about my old shop was a mechanic in it that didn't like working on Walkers so alot of the repairs were done but little things were found like a wire he didn't put back ib the right spot ended up shorting out after I started mowing. <br>I hope your business is going well, thanks for the help in the past.
Old 07-10-2000, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I refuse do businness with any dealships. There prices are 3 to 6X the price I buy from manufactures and wholesalers of afertmarket parts and finshined equipment. You dealers are going to have to wake-up and smell the coffee, your going to have to change your business model soon or perish. Dealers are inefficincies in the supply chain and will soon be weeded-out. Last time I went to a dealer, was 10yrs, ago.
Old 07-10-2000, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I cant say enoough good things about my dealer. There prices are not the cheapest but you cant beat the service that they provide. If a peice of equipment goes down i taake it right over and one of the machanics will put aside what he is doing to fix my machine and get me out cutting as soon as possible. Right now my dealer is so buissy there is a 2 week wate untill they will even look at a homeowners mower. When i took my weedwacker in the other day they had it fixed in 15 minutes and i was out the door. My dealer also has one full time man dedicated to only service calls wich becomes very helpful. I now have a new ztr but last year when i had an peice of crap gravely rider the thing was breaking every 2 weeks... they would meet me at my jobsite to fix my mower right there. For there service calls they have a huge cube van stocked with parts. In the past i used to go to many diffrent dealer but the last 6 years this is the only one i will even go to. Besides there gret service in fixing equipment the owner and employees are very truthful when it comes to buying new equipment. they always lead me in the right direction and never bullsh*t... Like i said before, there not the cheapest around for machinery but i gladly give them my buissness anyway.
Old 07-10-2000, 12:07 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
The cube van thing is a great idea for one guy to work for a dozen or so of the LCO's in one area.<p>The LCO can buy say a min. of 4 hours of<br>repair time per week. The repair guy can either go to the LCO location or meet at an industrial site to repair and PM any equipment for that week.<p>Also the repair guy could sell some off brand commercial equipment. It would not hurt to have some demos on a trailer when you were making your rounds.<br>