Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2000, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

My dealer will get right on a commercial customer. If he has to keep the mower he will provide a loaner, even if he has to loan you a new one!
Old 07-10-2000, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The cube van could also deliver sharpened blades.
Old 07-10-2000, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

An ideal dealer...<p>-OPen in evenings and Saturdays.<br>-Provides a loaner for major repairs.<br>-***Calls you when parts come in***<br>-***Calls you when repairs are completed***<br>-Isn't afraid to borrow a part of a showroom machine to get a commercial cutter back in business.<br>-Lays out all your options when making purchases.<br>-Gets to commercial repairs/service in a timely manner.<br>-Lets you demo anything.<br>-Listens to you and your needs, perhaps suggests that what he sells isn't the best choice for you.<br>-Gives a discount.<br>-Has a knowledge of the stuff he sells.<br>-Knows your name when you walk in the door after spending over $10,000 there.<br>-Isn't afraid to take the time to talk to you.<p><br>I know that it is tough being a dealer. Some of the above things are so simple, and don't cost the dealer anything, and yet they don't do them. <p>I one time needed a part in a hurry. My largest mower was down without this part, and the dealer didn't stock it. This was when I started out, and did not have a fleet of backup equipment to suport me. I ordered the part from him, and asked that it be shipped overnight, express, or whatever was fastest. I made it clear that I needed it in a hurry, and would pay any shipping charges to get it quick. <p>THe part came in three days later, and I got the call near the end of the day. I knew that I could not make it to the dealer before closing, and I called and asked if they could leave the part on the loading dock, and I would pick it up after hours, and drop off a check. They would not do this. Keep in mind that this was a place where I had spent many dollars prevoiusly.<p>I had hoped to get the part that evening, and be back running first thing in the morning. Instead, I had to wait till the dealer opened at 8:30, go in, get the part, and get home and repaired before going out to mow. <p>When I got to the dealer, I asked how much the extra shipping was. It took three days to get. The owner told me that he just had it shipped regular UPS, that overnight would have only saved me one day, and that it was not worth $20. <p>To me though, it waould have definatly been worth the $20 to have that mower in service a day sooner. I would have gladly paid the extra money, and told him so up front. <p>Those two incidents left a bad taste in my mouth for that dealer. I have taken my business elsewhere. <p>
Old 07-10-2000, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't purchased any equipment from dealers but almost did at a local farm dealer (tractor and commercial mower dealer).Anyway, when I told the owner (salesman) what I needed and that I didn't have alot of money to spend, he would try to talk me into the bigger, better model that I didn't need. I got tired of negotiating so I gave up. I think John Deere walk behinds are pieces of crap. They wanted $950 for their &quot;commercial&quot; 21&quot; walk behind. I was about to tell him right there that I was going to buy a Honda. It would have been funny seeing the look on his face.
Old 07-10-2000, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm lucky to have a dealer who is open on the weekends and keeps a mechanic on duty as well. They drop everything they are doing to get me back out running. Always get the dealer's personal loaner (Toro 62&quot; Liquid cooled ZMaster if needed. His prices on equipment are very competitive, but parts are outrageous in price and simple items are usually not stocked. Lawrence got me hooked up with ProParts in Salem, NH, only a 40 minute drive. They stock almost every thing and if not in stock, get it to you usually the next day. They discount their parts and are very knowledgeable. <p>Mike
Old 07-11-2000, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I heard that Exmark rates their dealers. If you go onto the Exmark site and go to dealer search and enter zip code and what not, most of them have this &quot;Turf Star&quot; thing, I think that's what it is. They claim the dealers with this &quot;Turf Star&quot; have committed themselves to your service or something like that. Seems like a great deal. What I can't figure out is one of the dealers that is close to me got this &quot;Turf Star&quot; and every time I go by the place I never see any Exmark mowers. Looks like Exmark should look up on this dealer.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Scag48
Old 07-11-2000, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about a dealer that gives you is home unlisted phone number and says &quot;call me if you need me&quot;.<br>He also has a commercial first policy, and gives me a set of blades for each mower I refer the sale to. <br>The only drawback is he dosent have a loaner mower, he is still too small of a bussiness.
Old 07-16-2000, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That Exmark turf star is a load of CRAP. My local dealer only sells a bunch of them because he is in an area of 1 million people and has no competition. I was asking him some questions a month ago and I knew more about the damn mowers than he did. Yeah I want to wait on a part from that guy. I want to put my business on the line for someone who has no clue. I went elsewhere to buy my mower. He got the &quot;exmark clumpy grass&quot; award from me.
Old 07-16-2000, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I cant say enough about my dealer. They are 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the week and 8 to 5 on sat. Commercial cutters come first, and if they can't get it fixed right away, they have two Lazer and two Turf Tracer demos so you have something to mow with. My Vanguard on my wb recently blew up and the dist was out of new engines, so one had to be shipped from B&S, 7 to 10 working days through 4th of july weekend! i would have been screwed dealing with other dealers in the area, but mine had a liquid Lazer for me til mine was up and running. Now thats service.