Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladi8r View Post
I bought a 60" Lightning Z 26hp LC Kawasaki last spring, and couldn't be happier. Put 135+ hrs on it last year, and the only problem I had all year was when I hit an old buried rusted car fender (one of the really old, very thick fenders- not today's thin sheet metal) when cutting some weedy ground next to a wooded area- I hit the fender and it tore a 12" by 6" hunk off of it and threw it about 50' across the lawn. The mower didn't even hiccup. Scared the hell out of me, though. I thought for sure I'd destroyed the deck, spindles, etc- nope; one bent blade, and it barely scratched the powder coated deck. This thing is bulletproof.

...and FAST... with sharp blades I can double cut an open 2 acre lot in 25 minutes. Gonna build a striper this year- it leaves decent stripes, but not nearly as nice as with a striping kit.

It IS very sensitive, though- I would only recommend it if you're already good with a ZTR, or have plenty of time and space to practice before making yourself look silly.

It's one weakness is hills- sideways on a steep hill- forget it. Gotta use the WB for hilly stuff where up and down isn't possible.
Thats a good real world test of the stout BB 1/4" or 3 ga ADS deck design & spindles.

When I got my AOS diesel back in October 08, Their was a large 20 acre church we maintain needed the last cutting for the season. The weekend before I took delivery of the BB the church has a "victory" party with lots of large tents been doing this for years. Well this year the tent company left on of those massive 4' metal stakes they use to pound into the ground to secure the tent to the ground. I just had put the diesel on the ground, and hit the stake, it shoot that stake across the ground like a missle, and bent the fusion blade to 90. Their was zero damage to the spindle, and not one scratch on the underside of the deck. Changed the bent blade and was mowing again. Even with the blade delay I still finished that church in record time vs our old ZTR.

I would only ask you to give the Bad Boy a fair comparision, their not a match for every LCO. But worth the look for sure.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW. How are all the other ZTR manufacturers staying business when there is such an awesome machine out there?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Marketing.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
WOW. How are all the other ZTR manufacturers staying business when there is such an awesome machine out there?

Bad Boy just announced another 200 new jobs created, media was all over it nice silver lining for Arkansas residents when so many Americans are losing jobs, and yet more proof BB is here to stay, how many "other" ZTR manufactures are expanding in this recession?. In fact every well established ZTR manufacture is raising price's. I understand though, living on the east coast you might not have seen a Bad Boy yet? thats your lose.

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 02-14-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im in ky and my dealer kept them for appx 6 months. he never said anything bad about the actual mower but wasnt happy with the company i suppose. other than that ive seen them at tractor supply and thats it.

New eXmark lazer Z 31/60
Honda 21" that i never ever use
Stihl trimmers, blowers, etc.
23 years old, 6 years in business
Liscenced and Insured
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
Thats a good real world test of the stout BB 1/4" or 3 ga ADS deck design & spindles.

When I got my AOS diesel back in October 08, Their was a large 20 acre church we maintain needed the last cutting for the season. The weekend before I took delivery of the BB the church has a "victory" party with lots of large tents been doing this for years. Well this year the tent company left on of those massive 4' metal stakes they use to pound into the ground to secure the tent to the ground. I just had put the diesel on the ground, and hit the stake, it shoot that stake across the ground like a missle, and bent the fusion blade to 90. Their was zero damage to the spindle, and not one scratch on the underside of the deck. Changed the bent blade and was mowing again. Even with the blade delay I still finished that church in record time vs our old ZTR.
That is funny, I guess I missed that story somewhere along the line. Go ahead and tell the truth. It will not be exaggerated when you say you have never been on a mower that came close to cutting that twenty acre property as fast and comfortably as the 35 hp AOS BB.

I know you hate to come on too strong, but I can say what you are thinking considering that I do not own a BB. I have operated them enough to know exactly how they cut and ride at a very fast speed for more efficiency with greater comfort.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

As I understand it, Tractor supply only carries the 'homeowner' line of Bab Boy 'Pup' mowers, not the commercial stuff. (Lightning, AOS) The dealer support is phenomenal here, but I guess that depends on who your dealer is. The Bab Boy corporate support is first rate- I bought a boom sprayer for mine from the BB corporate site, and they shipped it out Next Day UPS at no charge- They also answer their phone with a live person, and they have been VERY helpful with questions. You can actually talk to the department head of whatever you need, not some talking head who doesn't know squat. I'm thrilled with my decision, but then again my dealer is awesome. (Elite Tractor- Smithton Illinois- Bruce Anderson is the owner)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

we had a BB dealer real close but he closed up or quit selling or something. now nearest one is near 60 miles away.
granted i am NOT a pro, just homeowner, BUT not sure if it is really worth the drive.

oh and One word of advice, since i have been searching every ZTR's web site, i just did a search on Google for Hustler ZTR mowers. BUT........i forgot to put in the ZTR or at least Mowers DOH!!!!!!! be careful out there
Old 02-14-2009, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
That is funny, I guess I missed that story somewhere along the line. Go ahead and tell the truth. It will not be exaggerated when you say you have never been on a mower that came close to cutting that twenty acre property as fast and comfortably as the 35 hp AOS BB.

I know you hate to come on too strong, but I can say what you are thinking considering that I do not own a BB. I have operated them enough to know exactly how they cut and ride at a very fast speed for more efficiency with greater comfort.
PP I have kept that story to myself, that was my first experience with the AOS diesel off the trailer. Their is just so much dislike for this company it just amaze's me.
Of course some ZTR Dealers would not like to carry the Bad Boy line-up because when a Dealer sells a Bad Boy, their figuring out their not needed after the initial ZTR purchase is made; because 1.) their well made & tough, simple design , and 2.) you can fix them yourself if something should break or you need parts. The end commercial users can order directly from BB with free shipping Bad Boy has designed a ZTR that requires little dealer support, that is unheard of if you compare them to the traditional ZTR company Matra. But if you need that Dealer Foreplay before you get the repair bill, don't purchase a Bad Boy their not going to be needing much Dealer support

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 02-14-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nosparkplugs,what make the BB more user serviceable than other ZTRs,like my SCAG?