Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2009, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladi8r View Post
Also, check your specs- the Bad Boy wheel drive pumps on AOS are 18 Cubic Inches, not 18 cc's.

Pump specs on AOS:
Pump Drive; 16 cc Hydro-Gear V-Belt from Engine Crankshaft
Wheel Drive; 18 cu. in. High Torque Hydro-Gear Motors
Pumps; Hydro-Gear 16 cc, 1 Per Rear Wheel Drive Motor
Hydraulic Coolers; System Designed w/2 Coolers for Lower Temperatures

The pumps on my Lightning Z are:
Pump Drive; 12 cc Hydro-Gear V-Belt from Engine Crankshaft
Wheel Drive; 15 cu. in. High Torque Hydro-Gear Motors
Pumps; Hydro-Gear 12 cc, 1 Per Rear Wheel Drive Motor
Hydraulic Coolers; 6" Cooling Fan per Unit

You are correct. I made a typo in my post it should say cu in. In my calculations I did change it over to cc's.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

My Woods uses actual hydraulic fluid.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladi8r View Post
My Woods uses actual hydraulic fluid.
That's pretty unusually in this industry and good to know that some do. But for the fluid power calculations it doesn't affect much. The fluid affects more of the cooling properties unless it compresses greatly due to air suspended in the fluid.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen them. On par with Lesco, Encore and other low end ZTR's. Can not compete with Toro, Exmark, Scags. Good lord, just look at them. They look like they were built in someone's garage.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I just took another look at Scag's website for specs... I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, (unless you're a dealer, which would explain it) but the BB's specs blow away the Scag's. Not to mention the suspension which the Scag doesn't have.

I've seen Scags cut- they cut very nicely. They're also not built nearly as well, are higher priced than a BB, and aren't "service friendly".

You really ought to try one out Ricky86. I doubt you'll think "low end".
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
I have seen them. On par with Lesco, Encore and other low end ZTR's. Can not compete with Toro, Exmark, Scags. Good lord, just look at them. They look like they were built in someone's garage.
If you think a BB AOS looks like it was built in someones garage you must think a Dixie Chopper was built in someones attic. This is not to say BB does not have a different look, but a different look makes it no less of a well built machine.

I do not own a BB, but have operated gas and diesel models for lenghty periods of times. I was on a Scag TT Friday of this past week, the only difference is the lower profile. The build of the BB AOS (comparable of TT) is stronger, the ride by far surperior, would not flip a coin for the difference in cut and the productivity is at least 20% more in a days cutting with far less operator fatigue.

You must remember I have no connection to either of these mowers, I run Hustler Super Z's. This means I am giving you an umbiased opinion.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kool-aid

Careful Puppypaws, you're going to cause alot of kool-aid gulping to be going on.LOL. I guess some people ahve a pretty "narrow" view of what a ZT is supposed to look like. Some people might be suprised at the size of the "garage" that the BB's are built in. seriously though, I would like to see a response from a BB tech person on why the use the Hyd. pump and Motor combo that they do. I am referencing djagusch's comments about how the BB's pump and wheel motor combo will run at a higher rpm in an unloaded condition and thus shorten the life of them because of that, because I personally don't know enough about whether that should become a problem or not?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
Careful Puppypaws, you're going to cause alot of kool-aid gulping to be going on.LOL. I guess some people ahve a pretty "narrow" view of what a ZT is supposed to look like. Some people might be suprised at the size of the "garage" that the BB's are built in. seriously though, I would like to see a response from a BB tech person on why the use the Hyd. pump and Motor combo that they do. I am referencing djagusch's comments about how the BB's pump and wheel motor combo will run at a higher rpm in an unloaded condition and thus shorten the life of them because of that, because I personally don't know enough about whether that should become a problem or not?
I have built a good relationship with Brad at Bad Boy He's one of the AOS diesel engineer's, and answers his phone or will return your phone call quickly. I wil ask him the same question as djagusch's has asked me.

If your running one of the Big name ZTR's, it would be frustrating to have Bad Boy come along, and change to rules that have been established for years.

Personally I had a limited knowledge of Bad Boy when I joined Lawnsite, and was among the Bad Boy bashers for over a year. Knowing I was going to have 20K to purchase a new large frame diesel ZTR I started doing my research, and to my amazement the Bad Boy just out classed the rest.

The final hurdle for me was cut quality & a mule belt drive & deck run system vs drive shaft deck. The rest of the BB purchase points was simply a no brainer for me, the Scag TT with a 3 cylinder diesel is $18,500 vs a BB AOS with a 4 cylinder diesel is $13,335. The Scag TT is before tax the AOS diesel is final sale price with tax. That is a $5,165 savings minimal, for 5K I can replace alot of hydro pumps if need be.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
I have built a good relationship with Brad at Bad Boy He's one of the AOS diesel engineer's, and answers his phone or will return your phone call quickly. I wil ask him the same question as djagusch's has asked me.
I'm interested in the answer to the hydraulic question as well. I could have an answer tomorrow, but will let you take care of retrieving this information from Brad. Get us the reason for design difference explained in engineering detail?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I'm interested in the answer to the hydraulic question as well. I could have an answer tomorrow, but will let you take care of retrieving this information from Brad. Get us the reason for design difference explained in engineering detail?
Regardless of the response from Brad with Bad Boy. I'm sure this will not solve anything beyond more argument's to the validation or methodology of BB's Hydro pump set-up.