Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladi8r View Post
I've got the 60" Lightning Z, and it doesn't stripe so hot unless the grass is golf-course smooth. I'm building a striping kit this year to see if it helps.
I think i am going to buy the one that BB sells and see if it helps!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

We've got mostly Fescue and Kentucky Blue here in the Southern Illinois transitional zone, and the BB does a great job with it. I'll try to get some pics this spring. Grass should wake up around April 1st.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladi8r View Post
We've got mostly Fescue and Kentucky Blue here in the Southern Illinois transitional zone, and the BB does a great job with it. I'll try to get some pics this spring. Grass should wake up around April 1st.

Sounds good I'll be looking for those pictures!
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I have said it before last year many times and I will say it again now.

Show me a picture of the cut quality on thick, wet, fine bladed limb spring growth northern turf. Nobody seems to be able to do this. Or is it because the quality of cut isnt up to par with the more well known mowers? Somebody with one of these in these conditions PLEASE post pictures. There is SOME reason nobody seems to want to put pictures up of the cut the BB mowers produce. I am sure they are built really good but WHAT ABOUT THE CUT QUALITY? We have no BB dealers any where close to me so we cant find out for ourself if its good or not.
Obviously if their was issues with the BB ADS deck's quality of cut. it's been corrected. Best ZTR I have owned to date

We purchased our 72" ADS deck BB AOS Cat diesel in October of 2008 the grass was already going dormant. I will post picks this spring of several athletic fields, and large commercial accounts, pipe line right-of-way mowing, bush-hogging 6' tall grass. The Bad Boy AOS diesel is amazing leaves a manicured level cut. I have no mulch baffel, only the ACS advance Chute system, the 35hp Cat diesel powders everything @ .66gal/hr

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 02-22-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I have said it before last year many times and I will say it again now.

Show me a picture of the cut quality on thick, wet, fine bladed limb spring growth northern turf. Nobody seems to be able to do this. Or is it because the quality of cut isnt up to par with the more well known mowers? Somebody with one of these in these conditions PLEASE post pictures. There is SOME reason nobody seems to want to put pictures up of the cut the BB mowers produce. I am sure they are built really good but WHAT ABOUT THE CUT QUALITY? We have no BB dealers any where close to me so we cant find out for ourself if its good or not.
My 60 Lightning will be here first week in March, I'll be sure to post pics of my yard this coming summer. I'm 100% KB with irrigation.......doesn't get much more lush than that. My goal is to have cut quality (and striping) like I do with my Gravely. After all my research I'm confident with the right combination and setup on the BB I'll have results like I do now

- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dwost,I'm looking forward to your pictures.What engine are you getting?Are you going to mulch,side discharge or bag?The picture of your lawn are great.Good luck with your BB.

Last edited by NORTHMAN; 02-22-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, I'll definitely keep everyone updated as things progress. Here is the current setup to be delivered:
-60"/26 LC Kawi.
-ROPS
-Accelerator catcher
-mulch kit
-hitch
-couple sets of blades

I've got a set of Hella driving lights which I'll be adding and I'm in the process of building a stripe kit. I'm debating between chains or a fabbed "big league" style setup. I'm also going to add a powerchute. Still not sure if I'll build or buy but definitely want something powered. I'll mainly be discharging but will use the mulch/bag options when needed. More likely than not I'll run doubles as I do now and ensure a solid 1/4 deck pitch. I'm 99% certain I'll easily be able to maintain these same results with this mower. When I demo'd this last year I only engaged the blades for a couple passes and even early in the season was able to see a pattern. This was also cutting at 2" without any mods. Cutting at my norm of 3.5 - 4, with stripe kit and doubles should yield killer results. That's it for now, I'll snap some shots once it's here and also once I start cutting to show the results
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension

Last edited by dwost; 02-22-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks,by the way nosparkplugs,great looking ZTR.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=nosparkplugs;2791417]Obviously if their was issues with the BB ADS deck's quality of cut. it's been corrected. Best ZTR I have owned to date

We purchased our 72" ADS deck BB AOS Cat diesel in October of 2008 the grass was already going dormant. I will post picks this spring of several athletic fields, and large commercial accounts, pipe line right-of-way mowing, bush-hogging 6' tall grass. The Bad Boy AOS diesel is amazing leaves a manicured level cut. I have no mulch baffel, only the ACS advance Chute system, the 35hp Cat diesel powders everything @ .66gal/hr[Quote]

Ain't that 35 Cat a pretty thing sitting in the engine mount. She runs as smooth as a kitten purring, while the 28 sounds and runs like it could shake itself all to pieces at any minute. I can't comprehend why anyone would not buy the 35 Cat over the 28 Cat for the small amount of money difference. The truth being known, there would be $2000.00+ difference in those two engines in the pluses of the 35 over the minuses of the 28.

Is there any extra weight added to the front of your mower? It would appear to be light in the front end. I noticed when I ran the 28 if you started out full stick on a hard surface the front wheels would shimmy so bad I would have to stop and start at a slower speed. They may have needed to be adjusted tighter so they would not swivel as easily. BB told me they had some problems with this happening quiet often, have you noticed this with yours?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

PP the balance is perfect, yes their is a counterweight under the footrest plateform. Their is zero caster "shimmey" or "deathwobble" I have ran it down the asphalt street wide open straight tracking, no caster shimmey and the AOS diesel is fast. Going to purchase either the Meg-Mo or Dixie chopper X-blade cutting system just for grins, and to see what the diesel can really do with 12 blades on the Meg-Mo Disk & knife system or 6 blades with the DC X-blade system can you say POWDER. The 4 banger 35hp Cat diesel is $900.00 more than the 3 banger 28hp Cat. So cost could be a factor I guess.

[QUOTE=puppypaws;2792679][QUOTE=nosparkplugs;2791417]Obviously if their was issues with the BB ADS deck's quality of cut. it's been corrected. Best ZTR I have owned to date

We purchased our 72" ADS deck BB AOS Cat diesel in October of 2008 the grass was already going dormant. I will post picks this spring of several athletic fields, and large commercial accounts, pipe line right-of-way mowing, bush-hogging 6' tall grass. The Bad Boy AOS diesel is amazing leaves a manicured level cut. I have no mulch baffel, only the ACS advance Chute system, the 35hp Cat diesel powders everything @ .66gal/hr
Quote:

Ain't that 35 Cat a pretty thing sitting in the engine mount. She runs as smooth as a kitten purring, while the 28 sounds and runs like it could shake itself all to pieces at any minute. I can't comprehend why anyone would not buy the 35 Cat over the 28 Cat for the small amount of money difference. The truth being known, there would be $2000.00+ difference in those two engines in the pluses of the 35 over the minuses of the 28.

Is there any extra weight added to the front of your mower? It would appear to be light in the front end. I noticed when I ran the 28 if you started out full stick on a hard surface the front wheels would shimmy so bad I would have to stop and start at a slower speed. They may have needed to be adjusted tighter so they would not swivel as easily. BB told me they had some problems with this happening quiet often, have you noticed this with yours?