Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

North carolina irrigation contractors licensing board

I received this via email from a member of the NC Irrigation Contractors Licensing Board and thought this would be of interest to some of you...just an FYI so don't shoot the messenger

The NC General Assembly enacted a law (see below), effective 1/1/09, requiring all irrigation contractors to become licensed prior to June 29, 2009. The NCICLB, or Board, has been meeting frequently and is determined to provide all interested parties with the appropriate information necessary to apply for licensure as an Irrigation Contractor by the NCICLB. Any person wishing to become licensed should make application.

As such, the board is presently in the process of implementing the necessary infrastructure to accommodate applications. The Board anticipates having applications available for prospective licensees by March 15, 2009. The Board also anticipates being able to release contact information, website information and various other information at that time.

There have been numerous questions related to the new law requiring licensure of irrigation contractors. This information is intended to answer some of these questions.

There are several options for licensure under the current law. Option #1 is to be “Grandfathered” (only applies until June 29, 2009), Option #2 is to Apply for license by exam and Option #3 is to apply for licensure by reciprocity. You may view the law in its entirety at http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...L/H2353v6.html. Licensure by exam and its requirements are listed under § 89G 6. Application; qualifications; examination; issuance. Licensure by reciprocity and its requirements are listed under § 89G 8. Reciprocity.

Grandfathering

The NCICLB is required, by law, to accept and evaluate applications for 180 days from the date the law is enacted as it relates to Grandfathering. Therefore, all applications must be submitted no later than June 29, 2009. This is the final date that applications for “grandfathering” will be accepted. All applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow the appropriate amount of time for approval or denial (and appeal of denial if requested).

This is addressed in three (3) sections of the new law. § 89G 13 Sections 2, 3 & 4 are listed below. This is only a partial portion of the law enacted and only covers the “grandfathering” portion of the law.

“SECTION 2. Any person who has obtained Certified Irrigation Contractor (CIC) or Certified Irrigation Designer (CID) status through The Irrigation Association may be issued an irrigation contractor's license under Chapter 89G of the General Statutes, as enacted by Section 1 of this act, without the requirement of examination after successfully applying for and meeting all other requirements and qualifications for licensure, provided the person submits a valid application for licensure to the Board within 180 days of the date this act becomes effective.

SECTION 3. Any person who is a registered landscape contractor under Chapter 89D of the General Statutes or a licensed plumbing contractor under Article 2 of Chapter 87 of the General Statutes on the date this act becomes effective may be issued an irrigation contractor's license under Chapter 89G of the General Statutes, as enacted by Section 1 of this act, without the requirement of examination after successfully applying for and meeting all other requirements and qualifications for licensure, provided the person submits a valid application for licensure to the Board within 180 days of the date this act becomes effective.

SECTION 4. Any person who can document 10 years in business as an irrigation contractor as of the date this act becomes effective, can document competency in the practice of irrigation contracting, as determined by the Board, and meets all other requirements and qualifications for licensure may be issued an irrigation contractor's license under Chapter 89G of the General Statutes, as enacted by Section 1 of this act, without the requirement of examination, provided that the person submits an application for licensure to the Board within 180 days of the date this act becomes effective.”

***CONTACT YOUR TRADE ASSOCIATION, SUPPLIER OR DISTRIBUTER FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION – MANY OF THESE WILL HAVE THE LATEST PRESS RELEASES OR UP TO DATE INFORMATION AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE***
Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take Section Four; the rest is lumpy gravey.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Donovan View Post
SECTION 3. Any person who is a registered landscape contractor under Chapter 89D of the General Statutes or a licensed plumbing contractor
isn't that the stupidest thing ever. I've laid more pipe on a single job than most plumbers do in year.

Thanks MJD
Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the update Michael.

And I agree, plumbers? Sure, they may know how to "plumb" but what do they know about irrigation, plant water requirements etc.?
My favorite loophole is the 10+ years in business??? I know there are plenty of competant contractors that should qualify for that exemption, but I know of several more that are "the bad guys" and are part of the reason the license was put into effect!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did my CIC test this afternoon... guess I can go to NC and get a license now...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
I did my CIC test this afternoon... guess I can go to NC and get a license now...
Umm...yea?
What did you think about the exam?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton View Post
Umm...yea?
What did you think about the exam?
Not much to think.
In the other NC licensing thread, somebody mentioned that the CIC has a 40% pass rate. I'm really surprised that it is that low. If anyone has worked in this industry for a couple of years, they shouldn't really have a problem with the exam. Of course, I haven't gotten my results back, so I may be very wrong on that