Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gluten-8

Hey Bill,

Where can we get more information about your Gluten-8 product?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
Hey Bill,

Where can we get more information about your Gluten-8 product?
Here is some info.
Attached Images

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Crabgrass control is probably the first thing anyone looks for in pre-emergent control, what about control of other grassy weeds like Poa annua or trivialis? Has it been tested on bentgrass? I will read Christian's report, I skimmed it already. What is the N content of the liquid product? or more importantly, at 32oz/m sq', what is the nitrogen rate? Next, what is the best way to get a price list on some of the products from your web site? Thanks
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a misprint in the application notes 1 quart, 16 oz? I would like to try this product. Because of cost I would like to just spray known problem areas, driveway and walkway edges, more compacted areas etc.. I thought Bill had said it has most of the Nitrogen removed. I just wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in color only spraying certain areas?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, I didn't even read the 16oz it said 1:3 ratio and 1 quart to 3 quarts and that all matched. So, 32oz/m sq'. I read it to say reduced N. The granular product is 9%N and Christian's papers say that similar products work out to 2#N/m. My guess would be that at that rate, we are still going to be in a 1#/m application on N and that means to me that spot spraying is going to be very noticeable.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that could be true
Old 01-30-2009, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
Wow, I didn't even read the 16oz it said 1:3 ratio and 1 quart to 3 quarts and that all matched. So, 32oz/m sq'. I read it to say reduced N. The granular product is 9%N and Christian's papers say that similar products work out to 2#N/m. My guess would be that at that rate, we are still going to be in a 1#/m application on N and that means to me that spot spraying is going to be very noticeable.
With granular CGM, it's a slow and metered process to break the N down so I wouldn't worry about spot treating along edges, etc. Now, I think the CGH makes the N more plant available or water soluble, meaning it could "green up" faster. The N content is at what, 2-4% N? I wouldn't worry about it being noticable, but that might depend on how you apply. Are you going to put down a fert and then apply the CGH to heavy crab pressure areas?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Corn gluten hydrolysate is a water-soluble product derived from corn gluten meal through enzyme hydrolysis. The CGH is herbicidally active and contains 10 to 14% N by weight (Christians et al., 1994).

What I'm trying to figure out is how do you take out the N from a amino/peptide compound?

Does anybody know how one would do this and not effect herbicidal qualities of the CGH?

Last edited by Mr. Nice; 01-30-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice View Post
Corn gluten hydrolysate is a water-soluble product derived from corn gluten meal through enzyme hydrolysis. The CGH is herbicidally active and contains 10 to 14% N by weight (Christians et al., 1994).

What I'm trying to figure out is how do you take out the N from a amino/peptide compound?

Does anybody know how one would do this and not effect herbicidal qualities of the CGH?
That was one of your questions all along. It might be proprietary, but Bill hasn't posted here in awhile anyway.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Just a guess, but Straight Corn Gluten Meal probably contains a lot of different proteins. They probably isolate the ones that are herbicidally active and remove those that are not, thus effectively reducing N content...Then it is all mixed with water also reducing N concentration...Bill?