Register free!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, that should be 2qts AI/m or 20gallons AI/Acre and I've got a LOT more room and diversity to test than you do Not to mention a much more controlled large scale setting LOL
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

go ahead, i did the Guinea pig thing already.........
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
Not to mention a much more controlled large scale setting LOL
Sadly, this is true ... but I have some orchards and vineyards I can test on, perhaps even an arboretum as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As I see it, the limiting factor here is cost. Christian's research suggests they went near double label to get what I would consider to be "good" control. At 10 gallons per acre(label), your cost before bulk discounts is $400 per acre. Double that and get $800 per acre and I think heavy fert and over seeding would give you a better overall control. We are only talking annual weed control from what I have read so far. I know, I'm a kill joy, but this is the point where I have to weigh the organic vs synthetic overall "cost". Not just dollars, but impacted dollars as well. Supplement to make up for any damage from a synthetic and go on. I find it heartening that these products are becoming more available and will become more cost efficient down the road.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
As I see it, the limiting factor here is cost. Christian's research suggests they went near double label to get what I would consider to be "good" control. At 10 gallons per acre(label), your cost before bulk discounts is $400 per acre. Double that and get $800 per acre and I think heavy fert and over seeding would give you a better overall control. We are only talking annual weed control from what I have read so far. I know, I'm a kill joy, but this is the point where I have to weigh the organic vs synthetic overall "cost". Not just dollars, but impacted dollars as well. Supplement to make up for any damage from a synthetic and go on. I find it heartening that these products are becoming more available and will become more cost efficient down the road.
I generally agree with this assessment. I believe the product has great potential for spot control, but for generally pre-emergent applications the cost becomes the deciding factor.

That said, with intelligent soil management and maintenance of thick stands of turf, you may be able to keep your required AI/acre down to a more manageable level (economically speaking).

Certainly we need more field testing here to make any real determinations.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Send me a trial gallon so I can try it out.
You can order it on our website, our margins are so low we are unable to give any product away. sorry we just can't
If you feel that it was not effective we will be more than happy to give your money back or trade it for other product.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Piker, I was going to offer a large scale trial with pictures and data collection. One IBC should get it done

See if we can get poa control on bent at 2qts AI/Acre?
I think I saw a poa on bent field trial done by Iowa state believe it or not, I'll have to find it
1 IBC will treat 25.252 acres, 1 pallet will treat 17.6 acres
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with you totally on this, there is a certain price point where you are unable to to affectively do what you need to do and make a profit.

We hope to bring the price point down considerably next year
Old 02-06-2009, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
I think I saw a poa on bent field trial done by Iowa state believe it or not, I'll have to find it
1 IBC will treat 25.252 acres, 1 pallet will treat 17.6 acres
There are not many instances where I would advocate pre-emergent on golf greens. Poa control is one of them, but only in the worst situations. Like anything else, manage for the crop you WANT and the non-target crop should fade away. Lots of golf guys like to complain about Poa, but I have had success in the past with cultural control. My problem with that here is that I have to take a much slower approach. The greens I maintain here have "character". That is a very nice, PC way to say the guy who built them didn't have a CLUE!!!! If I had normal putting surfaces, I would lower the mowing height and increase my vertical mowing and the Poa would weaken while the bentgrass went crazy. The problem lies in that with all the "character" these greens have, increasing the speed of the greens to that level, would make them nearly unplayable. I'm not big on popularity contests, but I don't like coming in dead last either. I will increase my frequency of vertical mowing, improve my topdressing program, manage the water, and control the fertility. Dropping the mow height would multiply the results, but the Poa will still not win the war with the bentgrass under those conditions.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

poor bill is being beating like a red headed step child
i dont like the price either but thats life
anyone that will stand behind there product like bill does has to have something.
bill what is the shelf life of this product?