Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-02-2002, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro compact z-master recall

Dealer informed me that Toro has made a recall on the compact z-masters. I know it applies to the 20 hp kohler and I am assuming it applies to all units with the muffler mounted below the engine. They want to install heat shields around the muffler and fuel pump and replace the rubber fuel line with a braided metal one. The mechanic I talked to also mentioned that they might be replacing the muffler or adding a deflector to the existing muffler to direct the exhaust below the engine instead of to the side. He told me not to use the unit until repaired.

Just wondering if anyone else heard about this or has had their unit repaired.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, they did the recall on my eXmark Lazer HP about 2 weeks ago. Its for kohlers and kawis. Exmark also gave a set of blades to us for free just for the hassle. It actually makes the motor a lot quieter.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply 65hoss. Maybe you can give me a little more imformation than my dealer's crackhead mechanic could.(Time to find a new dealer.) Do we get a new muffler?(I could really use one!)

I convinced my dealer that the hassle was worth a free oil change and blade sharpening. I guess I should have asked him for a free set of blades too!
Old 03-02-2002, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

getting what you can

I need to say a word to the guys that have the attitude that they need to get something from the dealers becausee the manufactor made a boo boo. It is not the dealers fault and yes they pay the dealer a decent warranrty rate to replace these defected units like the mufflers one thing to keep in mind is that the dealer has much more paper work to do when he performs a warranty and they don't pay for filling out warranties a lot of the time. Another thing is that you can push a dealer to give you something for free but just remember one thing (HE REMEMBERS)
Old 03-03-2002, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As for the eXmarks, the free set of blades they are paying for, not the dealer. The letter that eXmark sent out explained they were giving the blades away. Not the dealer.

No, they didn't change out the muffler. They have an extension that bolts onto the existing pipe and curves up and back to the other side of the mower. Comes out up top. It has a heat shield on it between the pipe and motor. At least this is what it is for the kawi, but I think its the same for the kohler also.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Greenskeeper3: You really believe that the dealer would be doing this repair if he was not making money? You are crazy. He came right out and told me that he was getting over three hours for a repair that he can do in two. Then he had the nerve to ask me if I wanted an oil change at full price because it was going to be quicker for him to do both things at once. He wants $32.95 for an oil change that at most is going to cost him $15.00. I told him I would just do it myself. He was the one who offered to do it for the price of supplies because he knew I was p!ssed that he was treating somebody who has bought alot of equipment from him like this. I am in this business to make money. Downtime costs me money. I feel that the dealer or Toro should take care of me since on monday I will have my thumb up my you know what while it gets repaired for something Toro did wrong. At least Exmark is giving people free blades knowing it was their screw up.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

dealers remember

The only thing I am saying about pushing the dealers to give you more and more and also pushing them to cut their prices and always having the attitude that you have to get something for free or get a little more than the dealer offers normally is a bad way to do business in my opinion and of course that is only my opinion. The way I look at it is in my business if I give someone a price and if they want my service then I will service them gladly. If my price is to high get someone else. The ones that pick me for extras I remember and I charge them more when the opportunity comes. We all have to know that dealers are the same way. They know who gives them a hard time and who is a loyal customer. They will charge you more on repairs ect if you hassle them about everything. Or just have that overall attitude. Don't you think?
Old 03-03-2002, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I read your post after my last reply and I thin the dealer made his mistake by telling you how much warranty time he was getting paid for and how long it actually takes him to do the job however I do agree with you since he didn't have any better since than to tell you that I would feel the same way you did. When I made my first reply I didn't know the whole story but I am the kind of person that like a deal and will try and get one but I am not pushy. I go to my dealer he tells me the price if I think he can or will do better then I make him an offer if he says no then I make up my mind if I am willing to pay his price, if not I thank him and I leave and go somewhere else. I don't haggle back and forth over price because I know in the long run if he is going to be my dealer and keep me running he has to be glad to see me coming into his store instead of seeing me walk through the front doors and in his mind he is saying oh no here comes mr cheap skate. Then when I break down and need him badly he remembers that 20.00 I made him cut that trimmer before I would buy it. I am telling you it works like that. My best friend is a dealer and my dad used to be a dealer for 35 years. But it is the same in most every business. If you loose over here then you have to make it up somewhere else and they remember who they loose on.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't ask a dealer for a lower price ever. I always shop around. If the dealer does not want to make a deal on his inflated prices p!ss on him. Some people think that paying an inflated price will get you better service. I simply don't care. I must do what is good for my business not the dealers. I have a mechanic that I have followed to several different dealers that I take all of my non-warranty work to. He treats me good and I treat him good. I almost always give him a small tip to say thanks and he almost always bumps me up in line. You have to take care of the people who take care of you.

I feel that the dealer should make the first attempt at loyalty not the cutter. Why is it that most of the time it is the other way around?
Old 03-03-2002, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Does this recall apply to 2002 Toros as well, or have they corrected those in the factory?