Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Equipment Vandalism

I am not sure if this is the right forum but here it goes.

Last summer I had a problem with someone breaking into the shop and vandalizing equipment. Everyday when I came home I would unload all of my equipment and store it in my shop. I sit about 400 feet from the road and have no close neighbors. The next morning I went to start the zturn and nothing happened. I checked all the switches and couldn't find anythig wrong. So I bought a battery. Long story short, that didn't work so I loaded it up maually (which sucked) and took it to the repair shop. They found four wires strategically cut. They said someone knew what they were doing. Plus they found roughly 2 gallons of water in the fuel

I was so pissed. I pick it up the same day and locked it up and figured I could get a jump on things the next day. Needless to say that wasn't going to happen. I got home that evening to find the lock missing and every wire cut!! I am not sure what was going on but I finally got my stuff secured enough to keep whoever out. It cost me nearly $500 to fix the zturn twice.

I just wanted to know if anyone else ever had something like this happen. I dont know if it was just kids or a competitor because nothing was stolen and theives could of had a hay day.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a sleeping bag and a 12 gauge that should take care of your little problem.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

We had a theft problem for many years. There were many scetchy employees that had come thru. We caught on red handed, but the problem persisted. One day while checking out the local pawn shops we came across some of our equipment, and found out that a former employee had pawned it. The cops (yes they actually did something) put a warrent out for his arrest. Well one night we were out at the race track(horses) and saw this scum bag there with his family. Knowing there was a warrent out on him we called the sherriffs office, and they came and cuffed him in the middle of the crowd and marched him right passed us. One of the best things I had ever seen. It turned out he had pawned over 10,000 dollars worth of tools. That is a hell of a lot tools. Lots of them were probably ours too.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you. I'm glad you caught your scum bag. I have not had any more issues in the past six months but it was just really odd nothing was stolen. They could have made alot of money.