Register free!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Help on Reel Mower purchase

Hello to all, We have finally decided to purchase a reel mower for our soccer fields, all have quickstand bermuda. We are really interested in a pull behind gang or 3 point hitch for our fields Can anyone give me suggestions or brands to go for or any advice. WE have no problem going the used route and I have been looking at Ebay and local area golf courses for one not with much luck. I have found some Jacobsen units but, do not know a whole lot about them.
if anyone can give me some advice I would be very happy to hear from you.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pull behind reel gangs that are pretty durable are Locke, Roseman, etc. If I was looking to purchase a reel mower for sports fields, I'd go with a ride-on, 5 head, hydraulically driven, fairway unit made by either Jacobsen or Toro. I'd also look at getting at least 8 blade reels. I've been off the GC for 14 years so there may be other equipment manufacturers to look at, but in my experience, Jake and Toro are the best.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 08-04-2006, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am an assistant golf course superintendent... Id look at the jacs as well as the toros... or john deere... we go with john deere and jacs becuase of the dealer suport. They are all great machines... or check outt he john deere 2653a trim real mower... about 72inches wide would be my guess and leaves a nice cut and stripe... its a 3 wheel rider.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why real by the way? gona have to grind them every so often.. why not a nice rotery mower like a toro sidewinder.. or the sidwinder in a real is also a posibility.. check out www.usedturfequipment.com
Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all replies

Hey, I would really like to get a used sit on 5 gang but, the powers that be say this needs to be a pull behind or 3 point hitch to pass on down the line or keep at the curent site. The fields this is going to be used on are by no means perfect because of the exteme play schedule. We have all along kept these fields maintained with (2) ZD 21 kubota and in May-June-July-August
it is a slow go to say the least to keep these at a desirable height with very regular fert applications. I am planning on looking at the first part of the week at a jacobsen 5 Gang pull behind Ram lift. It is a 6 blade and would hope this is going to make my life and the cut more easy. If anyone would like to chime in more please do . I am not a expert on this particular unit and I still have a 2-3 weeks before I have to purchase. Dealer support and downtime is a main player as far as the sit down models are concerned if we were to purcahse one used like say Toro or jacobsen. I have always heard that the pull behind and 3 point hitch are going to give more reliable service but, not the perfect cut. Please feel free to reply back and thanks for those that have already.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemachine2
I am planning on looking at the first part of the week at a jacobsen 5 Gang pull behind Ram lift. It is a 6 blade and would hope this is going to make my life and the cut more easy. If anyone would like to chime in more please do . I am not a expert on this particular unit and I still have a 2-3 weeks before I have to purchase. Dealer support and downtime is a main player as far as the sit down models are concerned if we were to purcahse one used like say Toro or jacobsen. I have always heard that the pull behind and 3 point hitch are going to give more reliable service but, not the perfect cut. Please feel free to reply back and thanks for those that have already.
You may want to demo that 6 blade before buying it. It won't give you a very good cut at low heights required of a sports turf. 5 and 6 blades are common for mowing roughs where the grass height is 2 to 2 and 1/2 inches. 8 blade is as small as I'd go, preferrably a 10 in that situation.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 10-10-2006, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if this the right forum but I'm looking for Roseman gang reel mowers. I'm the president of a radio controlled model ariplane club. We have a Roseman five gang Roseman that works to cut our flying field.
We are in the St. Clair County Michigan area near Algonac. I'm looking for a source for additional gangs as backups for what we are using. They tend to break from time to time. I go to R & R products for some parts but the biger parts are hard to come by.
My email is bidigare1@comcast.net

Leo Bidigare
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Leo, when I have time later, I'll email you.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemachine2
Hello to all, We have finally decided to purchase a reel mower for our soccer fields, all have quickstand bermuda. We are really interested in a pull behind gang or 3 point hitch for our fields Can anyone give me suggestions or brands to go for or any advice. WE have no problem going the used route and I have been looking at Ebay and local area golf courses for one not with much luck. I have found some Jacobsen units but, do not know a whole lot about them.
if anyone can give me some advice I would be very happy to hear from you.
Are the Jacobsen reel mowers you are talking about located in Red Bank, Tn? If so, at 10,500, I think they would be a very good choice. I believe he has a couple of them that have less than 100 hrs.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I just acquired a 3 gang jacobsen pull behind blitzer mower, I rebuilt the gear boxes over the weekend. This thing has been sitting since 1989, the seals were non existant, so alot of water had been introduced to the boxes. AMAZINGLY this thing mowed WELL in that condition..so I rebuilt the gear boxes ( bearings and seals were ALL that was NEEDED )...my point is the jacobsen industrial units are TOUGH units.