Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Gravely
User Name
Password
Home Gravely.com Parts Find a Dealer About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's new?

I'm still considering the Gravely. What's the difference between 2001-2002 on the gd wb? The reason I'm asking is, the local dealer has a 14 hp k, 50" for $2299. What's new and what is suggested retail? Thanks
Old 03-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Gravely Manufacturer

What is new? Everything.

16" tires instead of 13
7mph instead of 5.5
7 ga main frame instead of 10ga
Electric PTO instead of manual
Twin cylinder engines instead of single
5.4" deep decks instead of under 5"
7 ga deck instead of 12ga
Double blades available on new model but not old
Striper kit available on new but not old

Both have 2 year parts & labor warranty.

Some people who have owned the 50" deck are on this forum. You may want to post a general question in the commercial forum about the PRO150 w/50" deck.

Barry
Old 03-03-2002, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since you invited comment on the 50" deck Barry...

I would avoid the 50" deck like the plague. The deck design dates from at least the early 1970s and became incapable of handling large volumes of grass just as soon as mower speeds exceeded 3 mph or the grass is thick or wet.

The new 48" deck is far superior deck to the old 50" deck. Let them sell the 50" deck to your competetitors.

Old 03-03-2002, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm confused. Aren't these the same models everyone says are great? I guess the deal sux huh?
Old 03-04-2002, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to remember that you are talking about 2 completely different mowers here Tony. The 2002 Gravelys have been redesigned from the ground up. It's real easy to tell them apart. The old mowers have a stamped 50" deck and the new mowers have a fabricated 48" deck.

Old 03-04-2002, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, that's what I mean. If they were so good, why did they need a ground up redesign? I'm new to all of this and the low price attracted me. I guess the low price would not offset the inabilty to do the job. What are the prices of the 15/48? Gee, I feel like I'm buying my first car, the flashy red paint and low price about had me. I'm sure the dealer thinks I'm nuts because I've been down there several times looking. He also has a 16/36 on consignment (no tax) with low hours. Seems some homeowner bought it and decided he needed a larger cut/rider. Anyway, I appreciate this forum and the posters.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:05 AM
Gravely Manufacturer

1548 fixed deck gear drive $2899 / 2799
1548 float deck gear drive $3149 / 2999

Suggested List / Suggested dealer promo

Sales have been very strong.

I would recommend double blades, mulching kit, grass catcher and sulky. All of which are available from Gravely. The catcher and sulky look strikingly like the leading Brands Grass Gobbler (catcher) and Velke(sulkies). The 48" deck comes standard with a striper kit.

This machine is the machine Lawnsite created. I do not think you would be disappointed. Then again, demo, demo, demo.

Happy shopping.

Barry
Closed Thread