Register free!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Going Organic

Hi everyone, I know you probably get asked a lot of questions regarding the organic approach and its benefits. I am totally sold on it, I've seen the benefits of compost in my planting projects.

I have decided to focus my business on organic lawn care and maintenance (Don't want to have my lawns cut at 2" by the mow-blow-and go outfits!

My question is this: Where do you get your compost tea from, and also where are some good places to look at brewers for a do it yourselfer? If I don't have a lawn sprayer yet, what are your suggestions? I have a few ideas on how to treat my customers organically, but I'm not ready to invest in the sprayer yet.

Thanks in advance, and these forums are fantastic!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

www.microbeorganics.com --50 gallon Microbulator 50
www.simplici-tea.com --5 gallon KIS brewer and compost tea "kits"

How are you going to brew tea and have no sprayer? Backpack sprayer?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is an excellent group of folks that have been practicing organic land care for over 20 years at NOFA, also the Ecological Landscaper Association (ELA) meeting is coming up in 3 weeks in springfield MA
The ELA always has sevral brewer manufactures there. Tim Wilson who is on here often makes a great design and cost effective

http://www.ecolandscaping.org/
www.organiclandcare.net
Dive in and get edumacated
Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
www.microbeorganics.com --50 gallon Microbulator 50
www.simplici-tea.com --5 gallon KIS brewer and compost tea "kits"

How are you going to brew tea and have no sprayer? Backpack sprayer?
I guess that would be my next question....do you all brew tea in your sprayers or do you need a separate brewer. I could easily go out and build a sprayer, I believe that from what I've read here, one needs to be careful about killing off microbes with too much PSI and too small of an opening on the nozzle.

I have the ability to pick up a high end client base quickly, so money won't be as much an issue, I am just trying to put together my spring plans, and then take it from there.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

There's many ways to brew and spray.

If I was you I would start small....like brewing 1-5 g batches.
See how that goes?

Spend lots of time researching organic methods and the principles of it before you make any major investments?.

Do you own a microscope? you will need one.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you need to brew your own tea, buy one or make your own, don't even ask about the how to now, its all out there, your in for some reading time. I make and use my own high end brewers.

and yes get a microscope!!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been reading a TON and I am pretty confident in a lot of this. I have been looking at the brewers, they seem relatively simple to make. A major question that I have is what are the app. rates for the tea? Also, how much compost is required to make this tea? Finally, if anyone is using "worms", how much space is needed to create a big enough environment for that to work? Thanks for all of the great advice and attitudes here!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine1 View Post
I have been reading a TON and I am pretty confident in a lot of this. I have been looking at the brewers, they seem relatively simple to make. A major question that I have is what are the app. rates for the tea? Also, how much compost is required to make this tea? Finally, if anyone is using "worms", how much space is needed to create a big enough environment for that to work? Thanks for all of the great advice and attitudes here!
tea rates are based on the # of live ones and the dilution rate, how much depends on the compost #s to start......

the worms can be done in a pail or shoe box, if you only need that little???

1 of my 2 beds are 1142 square feet, and they cost like a small home, or you can use a box of any size as long as they warm and feed its all good
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

To start I'm not going to need too much, but I have found that getting the work is never a problem, getting the help to do the work is! That, however, is more from the design/install side of things. I will have 10 properties to start and the total turf on them averages about 12k sq. ft.

I like the idea of the worms, just need to learn a lot more and put together the bed for them!

I'll keep reading and ask as I go! Thanks everyone.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Once you are well versed at making AACT you will be better able to build a brewer to fit your needs. Like I said start small first. 50g and under to start.

IMHO Tim Wilson makes the best brewer for the money, and the support he can give is priceless. www.microbeorganics.com

I use about 3-5 liters of compost for a 50g batch of AACT, but that will depend on your compost source? There's many different ways to feed the tea as well. A little goes a long way, This is where a DO meter comes in to play.

You can read all the books in the world but nothing compares to real field experience making it.

I don't want to scare you off but you will need a microscope, I can't stress that enough.
It's the only way to really know whats going on. Making REAL AACT should never be a guessing game.....